PDA

View Full Version : Can this car really not be locked unless a key fob is present?

FastMarkA
05-28-2010, 03:04 PM
I am about to board a flight, and I needed a friend to get a folder out of my car (which is parked at the airport).

I called BMW Assist and they unlocked the car. (With my friend standing next to it.)

My friend grabbed the folder, pushed the lock/unlock switch on the dash, and the doors will not stay locked. They keep unlocking when he closes the door.

My valet "key" is merely a holder; the key is not in it.

I understand that the lock/unlock button only locks/unlocks the doors (doesn't lock the fuel door nor activate the alarm), and that's fine.

I read the manual online and can't seem to find anything. Does anyboy have a solution?

Note that my car doesn't have CA.

djfitter
05-28-2010, 03:43 PM
You need either the fob, the integrated key inside the fob (will lock the door), or the wallet key (will lock the door) that fits the adapter in the glove box.

dj

SARAFIL
05-28-2010, 04:50 PM
On older models, you could not lock the car with the door lock button if the front doors were open... but you could climb in through one of the back doors, press the door lock button on the dash, and then get back out and close the rear door. The front doors must be closed when you are doing this. Not sure if it works on the E60/E90, but worth a try.

FastMarkA
05-28-2010, 08:31 PM
On older models, you could not lock the car with the door lock button if the front doors were open... but you could climb in through one of the back doors, press the door lock button on the dash, and then get back out and close the rear door. The front doors must be closed when you are doing this. Not sure if it works on the E60/E90, but worth a try.

I read this online and am going to have my Mom give it a shot tomorrow.

grant6398
05-28-2010, 10:34 PM

I did a night drop off at the dealer one time, and dropped the key in the night box slot, forgetting to lock the car doors first. The porter did exactly what is suggested above and it locked up. Good luck.