PDA

View Full Version : Extended Maintence

obrien2631
05-28-2010, 10:26 PM
Decided to purchase my 2008 535i that was coming off lease. I had it CPO'd to get the extra 2 years of warranty. Thinking about the maintenance plan...dealer quoted $2195. Should I get it? In the past I've done all maintenance and repairs on my cars (oil changes, brakes, head gasket, etc). In my old age, 40 :), I am getting lazy but still could do most minor maintenance. Is the plan worth it?

Nube1kenobi
05-28-2010, 10:44 PM
If you've done those. IMHO you'll be fine. You can always find a good indy for the harder tasks, cheaper.

grateful1
05-29-2010, 06:08 AM
You could also wait right up until the standard 4 year maintenance runs out to make a decision at that time.

TRS550
05-29-2010, 06:21 AM
Given that the "Maintenance Plan" consists of oil changes every 15K miles and damn little else, that has to be one of the largest rip offs of all time.

You can buy a hell of a lot of oil and a blue million filters for $2,195.

Neubs1
05-29-2010, 06:38 AM
Somewhere between 55K and 75K miles you're likely going to need new brake rotors along with the pad change. That evolution should be covered in the maint plan if you buy it. Price that option to help you decide. Also, it's not real obvious that at 45K, a spark plug change is recommended by BMW. Not obvious because you'll not get an iDrive icon to remind you.
I purchased the extended maint to 100K when I bought my 535i for about the same price you quoted.
Cheers,
Neubs

grateful1
05-29-2010, 10:33 AM
Given that the "Maintenance Plan" consists of oil changes every 15K miles and damn little else, that has to be one of the largest rip offs of all time.

You can buy a hell of a lot of oil and a blue million filters for $2,195.

I only agree with part of your statement. The cost of OEM brakes and rotors are not cheap in addition to the labor cost that a BMW dealership charges. So it's not just the cost of an oil and filter change that you are paying for. However, I do agree that you could do all of your maintenance items (oil, oil filter, in cabin filters, spark plugs, rotors, brake pads, brake fluid, auto tranny fluid, etc.) for less than $2k through an independent shop or even yourself.

HWF
05-30-2010, 05:40 PM
Also, it's not real obvious that at 45K, a spark plug change is recommended by BMW. Not obvious because you'll not get an iDrive icon to remind you.

Neubs

I'll be coming up soon on 45,000 miles. Where did you find out about this recommendation? Thanks.

grateful1
05-30-2010, 08:14 PM
I'll be coming up soon on 45,000 miles. Where did you find out about this recommendation? Thanks.

Dude, read your manual. Your car doesn't need spark plugs until 100k. Neubs has a 535 which calls for spark plug changes at 45k.

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/Owner/BMWUltimateService/ServiceandWarrantyBooks.aspx

HWF
05-31-2010, 06:26 AM
Thanks. :eeps:

JerseyGeorge
05-31-2010, 10:53 PM
Decided to purchase my 2008 535i that was coming off lease. I had it CPO'd to get the extra 2 years of warranty. Thinking about the maintenance plan...dealer quoted $2195. Should I get it? In the past I've done all maintenance and repairs on my cars (oil changes, brakes, head gasket, etc). In my old age, 40 :), I am getting lazy but still could do most minor maintenance. Is the plan worth it?

IMO.....NO, it isn't worth it but I do understand your comment about being 40 and getting lazy! I find that the thought of over paying for something I can do for 1/2 as much overcomes my laziness:thumbup:

In the 100K the only major Maintenance items BMW will cover are going to be brakes/rotors, oil changes and plugs. You can get the brake pads and rotors for $500-$700 and plugs roughly $60 and 3 oil/filter changes at $210-$250. HALF of what the extended plan cost!

BLUE550
05-31-2010, 11:07 PM
I agree it's pretty bad way of spending your precious money - but I did get it myself, too.

The biggest factor I considered was the loaner car service that I get from the dealer. Unless you have someone else to drop off and pick the car up during your workday, I just chose to pay (mucho) extra money for the convenience and the time saved.

JerseyGeorge
05-31-2010, 11:13 PM
I agree it's pretty bad way of spending your precious money - but I did get it myself, too.

The biggest factor I considered was the loaner car service that I get from the dealer. Unless you have someone else to drop off and pick the car up during your workday, I just chose to pay (mucho) extra money for the convenience and the time saved.

I hear ya.....but I have a third car and the dealer has a shuttle service so I opted for no maintenance plan! Everyone's circumstances are different so what's best for me isn't necessarily best for you.