PDA

View Full Version : hitch bicycle carrier

rahul09
05-30-2010, 02:00 PM
I saw an E60 with Thule bicycle carrier attached to a hitch receiver. I was able to take a quick picture at red light where we both had stopped.

Any idea what kind of hitch receiver (make / model) is being used or can be used with a hitch based bicycle carrier on an E60?

mrk13p
05-30-2010, 11:06 PM
manufacturer is "curt"...... u could get it for under 200 at autoanything.com but requires some cutting on the underside of your bumper.

goinsurfin
05-31-2010, 08:19 PM
If you want to attach bikes, may i suggest the roof rack instead. you can safely mount 2 bikes up there if not a 3rd. Plus, you have complete access to the trunk area to get your gear in and out. Here are some images to show how the bars look. This is an easier way to transport bikes over a rear hitch that you may need to "alter" the bumper area... Lastly, if you get rear ended, the bikes won't get hit... just watch your garage entry..

RussellTom
06-01-2010, 10:20 AM
I looked into a hitch rack for my 550 back in 2007. I decided on a Yakima roof rack instead. It was because the hitch mounts only through bolts into the trunk floor pan. I wasn't completely convinced it was all that secure. On my Miata, the hitch mounts to the car frame. But, if you are still interested in the hitch, it's made by Curt Manufacturing (www.curtmfg.com)

-Russell

jbehler
06-24-2010, 08:04 PM
I looked into a hitch rack for my 550 back in 2007. I decided on a Yakima roof rack instead. It was because the hitch mounts only through bolts into the trunk floor pan. I wasn't completely convinced it was all that secure. On my Miata, the hitch mounts to the car frame. But, if you are still interested in the hitch, it's made by Curt Manufacturing (www.curtmfg.com)

-Russell

I just installed the hitch on my 545i tonight. I've used the BMW OEM roof rack for a while, but got tired of cleaning bugs off the bike. I was a bit skeptical on how strong it would be, however it doesn't budge a bit. I picked it up for $150 shipped on etrailer.com.

No cutting of the bumper was required, just some minor trimming of the underside fascia.

wallymann
06-25-2010, 04:54 AM
I just installed the hitch on my 545i tonight. I've used the BMW OEM roof rack for a while, but got tired of cleaning bugs off the bike. I was a bit skeptical on how strong it would be, however it doesn't budge a bit. I picked it up for $150 shipped on etrailer.com.

No cutting of the bumper was required, just some minor trimming of the underside fascia.

yep - bikes stay cleaner, less risk of driving into anything overhead (garages, drive-thrus, parking garages, etc) and destroying your treasured bikes, better stability on the freeway, better mileage too!

if you're smart, you got the fold-down rear seats so you still can access some of the trunk area with bikes in place.

rahul09
06-25-2010, 07:24 PM
Thanks for the feedback folks. The opinion seems to be equally divided between roof top carrier vs hitch based. I am now confused too. :)

wallymann, i was not smart and didn't get the folding rear seat.

How does the price of roof top 2 bike carrier installed compares to that of hitch based 2 bike carrier installed?

wallymann
06-25-2010, 07:50 PM
you will spend a good bit more on a roof system than a hitch system. but then you have to get the receiver installed, which narrows things a bit. but still, unless you get some overpriced hitch-rack system, the hitch will be cheaper.

here are 2 actual scenarios for comparison:

- roof requires rail system and bike mounts -- my buddy has audi rails on his A4 avant (i'm sure those aint cheap) and each bike mount cost $100, so $200 for two.

http://majortaylorcycling.org/events/2008_tn_summit_training_camp/DSC00020.JPG

- hitch requires rack system (complete) plus hitch-receiver -- i have a 2-bike hitch rack that cost like $125 complete and the hitch-receiver for my honda CRV cost $150.

http://majortaylorcycling.org/events/2005_strawberry_tour/dsc01359.jpg

also, i dont mean to overly bag on roof systems. they are actually quite nice. but personally, i've been cycling/racing since 1986 and have seen far too many people drive into stuff during a moment's inattention, destroying their bikes and damaging their car's sheetmetal. IMO it's just not worth it....for me. i cannot guarantee that i will be 100% attentive every time i approach anything that might encroach the roof-mounted bikes. considering my 2 "nice" bikes would each cost something approaching $10-large to replace, it's too much to risk. and that doesnt even cover the costs to repair a pranged roof on my 530!

drftorres
03-30-2013, 07:09 AM
I use the roof rack by BMW (which is really Thule). It is very easy to mount and unmount. What I don't like is the sound while driving, the risk of entering my garage and wreck my $12k bike. I am looking for a hitch or trunk rack.

http://drftorres.com/photos/bmw/p1415589266-3.jpeg

http://drftorres.com/photos/bmw/p1415589266-4.jpg

bmrbiker
05-03-2014, 12:46 PM
For a hitch mounted option check out this post.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8315596&postcount=19

Neubs1
05-04-2014, 05:49 AM
I have the BMW rooftop overhead rack. I like that it allows me to mount my bike with the front wheel installed. I believe the bike is better protected. But on a recent 1000-mile trip with one bike on the roof, I experienced what I feel was a 30% decrease in fuel economy.
Cost-benefit review may lead to on-site bike rental next time.

I wonder if the rear-mounted racks extract a similar fuel penalty.

Cheers, Neubs

bmrbiker
05-05-2014, 04:09 PM
I just installed the hitch mount last week and have not made any long trips yet. If/when I do I'll try to post an update with some feedback on that.