PDA

View Full Version : what causes coolant to leak?!!

Johns
11-16-2003, 09:14 PM
I have a problem!! my coolant is leakin but I dont know exactly where its coming from. Also how would this be happenin, I had the car flushed from a Bmw/Dinan service 6 months ago(5000miles) so Im "sure" they used the proper bmw coolant :confused: anyway I looked inside the tank and its milky(coolant) lookin? also it looks like someone puked all over!! I am pissed cus I dont have warranty and I hope its not going to be an expensive fix.

Does anyone know what I should be lookin for before I take it to the service?? :cry:

The Roadstergal
11-16-2003, 09:23 PM
If your coolant is milky, it can be a sign of oil in the coolant (usually caused by a head gasket failure). :( Is your oil milky, too?

Johns
11-16-2003, 09:29 PM
the oil looks fine, but when I checked the dip stick, it looks like the oil was overfilled :dunno: is that a big issue?

also is this problem a natural cause, my car is a lil old MY99 66K miles :(

the lesson I just learned was to do the stuff myself :) instead of havin someone who probly doesnt give two sh*ts about my car :cry:

Pinecone
11-17-2003, 05:50 AM
Before you panic about the coolant, make sure you aren't seeing a splash cap. This happened to me when my car was recently teched for a track event. The coolant looked milky, untilthe tech pushed the valve down and then the milkiness was the white plastic valve.

As for the leaking, is it leaving puddles on the ground? Is there coolant all over the engine compartment? These are clues to where the coolant may be coming from.

WRT oil, if the oil is clean looking, an overfill is not a big problem. If the oil is milky, you may have a bigger problem.