PDA

View Full Version : Which MB Quart Speakers?

bmw4bmw
11-16-2003, 08:59 PM
Which ones would be better to replace in my 03 530 w/DSP and NAV?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3059373465&category=32818&rd=1

or

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3058788545&category=32818&rd=1

Or something else?

Thanks.

mickjagger
11-18-2003, 10:50 AM
I have the PCE216 (6.5") in my doors. They are the current Premium line model. The others are last years, I think. Probably very little difference, but I would get the latest and greatest.

AK
11-18-2003, 11:54 AM
I'd probably go with the less expensive ones. Some of that extra money you're paying for the better ones goes into the crossovers, but since you have DSP, you won't be using the MB Quart crossovers at all.

Frank Rizzo
11-21-2003, 06:18 AM
I have the PCD's in my car. When I bought them - they had both kinds at the shop, and the dealer told me there were only "minor" differences. We opened both boxes and I doul see no differences, especially in the crossover - since it is in a clear box. He cut me a batter deal on the "older" model.

thomafr1
01-27-2004, 11:37 AM
I have the PCE216 (6.5") in my doors. They are the current Premium line model. The others are last years, I think. Probably very little difference, but I would get the latest and greatest.

i know this is way-late to your response, but Q: how did you get the 6.5's mounted in the door? did you have to mod? i have a 530 and own a set of 6.5's drooling to ride with me. :dunno:

mickjagger
01-27-2004, 12:23 PM
[QUOTE=thomafr1]i know this is way-late to your response, but Q: how did you get the 6.5's mounted in the door? did you have to mod? i have a 530 and own a set of 6.5's drooling to ride with me. :dunno:[/QUOT

no mods necessary for the quarts.

Dr. Phil
01-27-2004, 01:02 PM
[QUOTE=thomafr1]i know this is way-late to your response, but Q: how did you get the 6.5's mounted in the door? did you have to mod? i have a 530 and own a set of 6.5's drooling to ride with me. :dunno:[/QUOT

no mods necessary for the quarts.
Tigth fit but they will go in as Mick states.....I modded mine for a pod to help push more sound into the cabin.

HW
01-27-2004, 01:06 PM
psd vs. pce: 4.5K vs. 2.5K crossover :confused: seems to be a big diff

does the pce come w/ a notch filter to take out the resonance?

Dr. Phil
01-27-2004, 04:23 PM
psd vs. pce: 4.5K vs. 2.5K crossover :confused: seems to be a big diff

does the pce come w/ a notch filter to take out the resonance?
What do you mean by notch filter :dunno: It does have jumpers that allow you to +/- the db to the tweets.

mickjagger
01-27-2004, 05:02 PM
Tigth fit but they will go in as Mick states.....I modded mine for a pod to help push more sound into the cabin.

You have pics of the pod?? I think that might help my sound quality quite a bit.....

HW
01-27-2004, 05:17 PM
What do you mean by notch filter :dunno: It does have jumpers that allow you to +/- the db to the tweets.

the notch filter would be part of the crossover that attenuates the tweeters at the fs (resonant frequency) and a bit around fs.

selecting the crossover frequency has in parts to do w/ avoiding fs my guess is between 2K and 1.5K for an in car tweeter. the notch filter would be cascaded to a 2nd order (-12db/oct) filter if one wants to crossover really close to fs like 2.5K. i may be incorrect but a notch and 2nd order cascaded forms a 4th order elliptic filter.

a 4.5K crossover would probably sufficiently avoid fs w/ something like a -12db 2nd order filter w/o the notch filter.

Dr. Phil
01-27-2004, 06:59 PM
You have pics of the pod?? I think that might help my sound quality quite a bit.....
****ty one but here you go..... they are to pull door again on Friday to mat it some more due to heavy mid hits :bigpimp: If so will ask him to snap one for me.

thomafr1
01-27-2004, 07:17 PM
kool. any of you using a 3way config? i have 3ways with the 4"mid. looks like i may have to ditch it and hope the MB quarts xover freq's are not to low for the factory 3".

otherwise i was thking of putting the mid int the exising woofer local and making pods to recess under the dash?

Dr. Phil
01-27-2004, 07:24 PM
kool. any of you using a 3way config? i have 3ways with the 4"mid. looks like i may have to ditch it and hope the MB quarts xover freq's are not to low for the factory 3".

otherwise i was thking of putting the mid int the exising woofer local and making pods to recess under the dash?
You can do an add a woofer set up with MB, but that would be another 6.5" or 5.25" that would need kick panel adaptation :bigpimp:

thomafr1
01-27-2004, 07:51 PM
eek. the dreaded kick panel mod. have you seen any pix? i can only find 3series pods. none for a 5. :bawling: i really didn't want to cut my carpet (right side) or hack up my panel on the left.

mickjagger
01-28-2004, 04:46 AM
****ty one but here you go..... they are to pull door again on Friday to mat it some more due to heavy mid hits :bigpimp: If so will ask him to snap one for me.

Thx!! So, is the door metal cut behind the pod??

Dr. Phil
01-28-2004, 05:43 AM
Thx!! So, is the door metal cut behind the pod??
Yes we cut out a small circle :eek:

thomafr1
01-28-2004, 06:40 AM
aha!! i knew surgery was involved... that is what i am trying to avoid. i don't have the heart to cut her. plus, the pix i saw on bmwtips.com make it look like a must. the glimmer of hope i had has run away.

i will remove the panels under the dash the weekend to see if there is room to recess them, there. i will post my findings.