Need Advice on damaged car door [Archive] - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

: Need Advice on damaged car door

dieschweiz
06-13-2010, 11:35 AM
I legally parked on a street corner not far from M street and Wisconsin in Georgetown, Washington DC yesterday, and made sure there's nothing coming from either direction before opening my car door to get out. Just when I opened it half way, a man on a bike came from around the corner and collided with my car door. He fell, and my car door is damaged by the collision. Who's fault is this? I would not be able to see his coming from around the corner. Also there is barely a scratch on the surface of the door, but it won't close properly and the warning light is always on.

RaceBlood
06-13-2010, 05:23 PM
You were not operating the vehicle, so you have no control over the actions of the bicycle driver, this is not your fault. It also falls under the Comprehensive area of your Insurance, which is the same as vandalism, storm damage etc, so your deductible should be lower, and also will not effect your insurance rate or driving record.

But, was there a police report? This will in effect, without it, null and void his claims for injury, and also your claims to his liabiltiy for damages.

Also, if I understand this correctly, he was riding in the opposite direction of the lane traffic?

thekurgan
06-13-2010, 06:29 PM
I legally parked on a street corner not far from M street and Wisconsin in Georgetown, Washington DC yesterday, and made sure there's nothing coming from either direction before opening my car door to get out. Just when I opened it half way, a man on a bike came from around the corner and collided with my car door. He fell, and my car door is damaged by the collision. Who's fault is this? I would not be able to see his coming from around the corner. Also there is barely a scratch on the surface of the door, but it won't close properly and the warning light is always on.

In Cali, you'd be at fault, but I have no idea how DC handles these types of incidents. Is there a designated bike lane next to or on the lane where you parked? Witnesses? Sounds like the hinges are no longer aligned so it won't close tight. A good body shop should fix it right. Was the guy injured?

dieschweiz
06-13-2010, 07:20 PM
Hi, the bodyshop that my local BMW dealership uses tells me this is collision?

No. there is no police report. The kid was a Georgetown student on a bike and he fell but got up in less than a second, obviously not injured at all. I just let him go because I did not see any damage on my car door, but when I got home it hit me to realize that the door does not close as it should have before.

He was riding in the same direction of the lane traffic. remember my car is parked on a corner, so he must have turned around from the cross st.

You were not operating the vehicle, so you have no control over the actions of the bicycle driver, this is not your fault. It also falls under the Comprehensive area of your Insurance, which is the same as vandalism, storm damage etc, so your deductible should be lower, and also will not effect your insurance rate or driving record.

But, was there a police report? This will in effect, without it, null and void his claims for injury, and also your claims to his liabiltiy for damages.

Also, if I understand this correctly, he was riding in the opposite direction of the lane traffic?

dieschweiz
06-13-2010, 07:22 PM
Interesting question. Yes. There is a designated bike lane, but it starts right after the first parking spot, which is where i was parked. This is one of those corner spots.

no. the guys not injured at all.

In Cali, you'd be at fault, but I have no idea how DC handles these types of incidents. Is there a designated bike lane next to or on the lane where you parked? Witnesses? Sounds like the hinges are no longer aligned so it won't close tight. A good body shop should fix it right. Was the guy injured?