PDA

View Full Version : Which would you buy?...745i, A8, S430, XJ8, LS430

PhilH
11-19-2003, 08:27 AM
I'm just wondering what other BMW guys think about the current crop of full size luxo boats.

I think this is the only segment where I might have to buy a Mercedes. The A8 and XJ8 are too conservative and similar to their predecessors, the 7-series is just too odd for me to drive everyday and the Lexus would be too boring.

http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com//pictures/VEHICLE/2003/BMW/100205564/022150-E.jpg

http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com//pictures/VEHICLE/2004/Audi/100284559/023035-E.jpg

http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com//pictures/VEHICLE/2003/Mercedes-Benz/100197210/007337-E.jpg

http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com//pictures/VEHICLE/2004/Jaguar/100284181/023008-E.jpg

http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com//pictures/VEHICLE/2004/Lexus/100322033/023703-E.jpg

EZ
11-19-2003, 08:30 AM
You forgot to include "None of the above" in your poll. For this money I'd buy something else. :D

PhilH
11-19-2003, 08:32 AM
You forgot to include "None of the above" in your poll. For this money I'd buy something else. :D
I almost did put "other", but these are pretty much your choices (along with the Infiniti Q45 which sells in tiny numbers).

Let's just pretend you need a luxo boat....I think it's a tough choice. :confused:

Mr. The Edge
11-19-2003, 08:36 AM
I'd wait for the 760i :)

MikeW
11-19-2003, 08:36 AM
I voted for the bimmer, albeit somewhat reluctantly. This is based on my drive of a 760 in the Koman Drive. As much as I don't like the styling, the car drove really well. What kills me about this car is that is sooooooo close to being right, that if they got rid of the gimmicky design elements and features, it would be a KILLER big sedan.

Mathew
11-19-2003, 08:37 AM
I'd say go for the A8 or the 745. I've had not so pleasant experiences with the S-Class and the XJ8.

pdz
11-19-2003, 09:32 AM
i voted a8 right now, but i'll rethink that vote when i see what the e65 "update" looks like this year.

TD
11-19-2003, 09:34 AM
IMO, the A8 is gorgeous. I'd take one.

Josh (PA)
11-19-2003, 09:42 AM
I voted for the bimmer, albeit somewhat reluctantly. This is based on my drive of a 760 in the Koman Drive. As much as I don't like the styling, the car drove really well. What kills me about this car is that is sooooooo close to being right, that if they got rid of the gimmicky design elements and features, it would be a KILLER big sedan.

I agree 100% with what you said. This big bimmer matches the driving experience I'd expect from a big BMW perfectly. If it wasn't ugly and didn't have I-drive it would be without a doubt the best big sedan ever made.

I think the XJ is the most attractive. The A8 is pretty good looking, but I preferred the previous iteration better. The new A8 is too much a conglomeration of passat, a4, a6, and phaeton, with little identity of it's own.

Kaz
11-19-2003, 09:53 AM
If I had to pick one overall, it would probably be the A8. The new XJ is a contender, though. The LS packs all sorts of luxury toys, but seems to come up rather short in the mechanical/performance areas. The E65's looks inside and out and its odd controls rule it out.

Emission
11-19-2003, 10:21 AM
A8 or Phaeton (not on your list).

Alex Baumann
11-19-2003, 11:25 AM
A8

AF
11-19-2003, 12:11 PM
745 with sport package in black :thumbup:

pdz
11-19-2003, 12:12 PM
745 with sport package in black :thumbup:

......in black, at night.

:)

bmw325
11-19-2003, 12:13 PM
Definitely the A8-- its by far, the best looking (inside and out) of all these. Second choice would be an XJ8. I admit that i'd be a little concerned over Audi reliabilty--but then agian, none of these choices are likely to be very good in terms of reliability except for the Lexus. In reality, I'd probably never buy a car in this segment-- if I had the money I'd buy a fun sports car, and a sports sedan w/ a stick.

Teej
11-19-2003, 12:14 PM
I voted for the 745i, but that decision will ultimately depend on the facelift.

LmtdSlip
11-19-2003, 12:35 PM
I never had an issue with the styling of the new 7.

The Merc & A8 are the only ones I would consider instead.

OBS3SSION
11-19-2003, 12:48 PM
I always wondered why when there are hypothetical polls like this, there are inevitably "write-ins" for options that were not listed. Which sandwich do you like better: ham and cheese or roast beef? And getting "hamburger" as an answer. :rolleyes:

Anyway... I don't know a hell of a lot about the cars listed in the poll, because they are not anything I would seriously look into buying. So, I'll base my vote on general observations of brand and more specifically... looks of the car.

First off, the Lexus would be last on my list. I don't care for the styling, and I look at it this way: I don't really view that car to be in the same league as the others. Sure, it's nice, but just not nice enough I guess.

The Jag looks good, and that's all I know about it. I'd put it and the MB next up on the list. The MB isn't as sharp looking as some of the smaller Mercs out there, and I've been watching MB's reliability plummet of late.

That leaves the Bimmer and the Audi... two brands I admire. I'm sure the BMW can out drive the Audi... but if I had something like this, I wouldn't be sprinting around with the thing. That's more suited to smaller cars. So, for a luxury tourer... I'm going to give the nod to the A8. It's got clean lines and looks great... even better in person (or in my case, trying to keep up with one on the Mass Pike to check it out.) I'm convinced Audi makes, by far, the best interior on the market. It was a tough call, but the 7's funky design elements and over-fiddly interior cost it my vote.

2004onyx330xi
11-19-2003, 01:04 PM
I had to do a double take with the Jag...It looked like a Mercury Marauder to me at first glance.
My vote goes with the 745i.

toshweir27
11-19-2003, 01:39 PM
I would definitely go with the Audi A8.

LeucX3
11-19-2003, 02:17 PM
745i here. One caveat...I'd drive with a car cover on it cause it's ugly.

AB
11-19-2003, 02:19 PM
745i for me.

MG67
11-19-2003, 03:19 PM
I picked the 745i, because the XJ, A8, S430 and the Lex all look a little too conservative for me. I have driven all except for the Lex and still the BMW is top pick!
I love all the new stuff that the 7 has including the idrive system... yes it takes a little practice but it works great! My friend here in LA has one and from the great seats to the pretty fast 0-60 speeds I'm pretty amazed with it... Nur Fliegen ist Schoener!!!

SARAFIL
11-19-2003, 03:20 PM
I'm just wondering what other BMW guys think about the current crop of full size luxo boats.

Black Sapphire/Natural Brown 745i, 19 inch wheels, Luxury Seating Package, Convenience Package, Premium Sound Package, Adaptive Ride Package, Rear Sunshades, Park Distance Control, Heated Steering Wheel.

nate
11-19-2003, 03:23 PM
Probably the Jag or 7

alpinewhite325i
11-19-2003, 05:18 PM
I almost did put "other", but these are pretty much your choices (along with the Infiniti Q45 which sells in tiny numbers).

Let's just pretend you need a luxo boat....I think it's a tough choice. :confused:

I can tell you right away that it WOULD NOT be the Benz or the Jag....neither of these excite me in the least. The Audi is sharp on the outside and crafted very nicely inside, but doesn't really excite me. So, that leaves either the Lexus or the BMW. The Lexus is very plain looking..the 7 series is surprisingly growing on me. Lexus...exceptional reliability..BMW, well...not so great. Handling definitley goes to the Bimmer, but I bet the Lexus isn't too bad.

I'd go with the Lexus. :eeps:

swchang
11-19-2003, 05:32 PM
How long do you plan to keep this car and what parameters are most important to you? Personally, I'd never consider an Audi or Jaguar because I've heard terrible things about their reliability. Audi does have nice interiors, though...

I care a little too much about looks to go with the Bangle 7-series, and plus as a second-year car, I've heard it still has some problems. Whether that's true or not, I have no idea.

I do think the Lexus is a little bland looking, as the others do, but its reliability would definitely be a plus in my book. If you're going with a long-term ownership, I'd get the Lexus, especially since the sound system is supposed to kick butt (heard great things about Mark Levinsons). Otherwise, I'd get the Mercedes (probably even despite the Lexus reliability, actually). Besides, Lexus doesn't have the name Mercedes does. (BTW, the Mercedes reliability ratings supposedly took more of a beating because of the M series and the lower-end C series, like the C230, etc. I think the S series cars are more reliable.)

PS Don't have personal experience with any of these cars, at least in their current iterations, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

PhilH
11-19-2003, 05:53 PM
I wish I was really in the situation of choosing one. This is just a hypothetical question of what other BMW owners think of the choices in this segment.

swchang
11-19-2003, 05:59 PM
I wish I was really in the situation of choosing one. This is just a hypothetical question of what other BMW owners think of the choices in this segment.

Oh. In that case, I think you'll see, as you do in your poll, a heavy bias towards the 7 series and the A8. I've noticed BMW fans seem to prefer those two makes over Lexus and Mercedes in particular. Not much love here for the Japanese or MB, it seems. As for Jaguar, I've never even seen it mentioned on this board until your poll. :)

swchang
11-19-2003, 06:01 PM
BTW, as long as you're fantasizing, check out the Cadillac XLR. Caddies are definitely making a comeback, and that car is pretty hot.

One more thing: for the money, I'd get the E55 AMG.

I don't know if you consider either of these cars "luxo boats," but at least the E55 comes pretty close in terms of size and sedan-ness. :)

pdz
11-19-2003, 07:13 PM
How long do you plan to keep this car and what parameters are most important to you? Personally, I'd never consider an Audi or Jaguar because I've heard terrible things about their reliability. Audi does have nice interiors, though...

I care a little too much about looks to go with the Bangle 7-series, and plus as a second-year car, I've heard it still has some problems. Whether that's true or not, I have no idea.

I do think the Lexus is a little bland looking, as the others do, but its reliability would definitely be a plus in my book. If you're going with a long-term ownership, I'd get the Lexus, especially since the sound system is supposed to kick butt (heard great things about Mark Levinsons). Otherwise, I'd get the Mercedes (probably even despite the Lexus reliability, actually). Besides, Lexus doesn't have the name Mercedes does. (BTW, the Mercedes reliability ratings supposedly took more of a beating because of the M series and the lower-end C series, like the C230, etc. I think the S series cars are more reliable.)

PS Don't have personal experience with any of these cars, at least in their current iterations, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

while i think you have solid points, i do not think that a car in this class is rational, not is it a 'consumer reports' based decision --the demographic for this class, on average, is amazingly affluent and these are not likely to be the only car. reliability is likely also one of the last things to consider for these buyers, i'll bet and relative to the sports cars or sport useless vehicles that would typically accompany these boats, the luxo boats are lookin' pretty reliable.

i am also guessing that most of us, given this amount of money to spend, would NEVER buy any of these cars, as you also pointed out. most of us likely would never go larger than a 5 series/E class because enthusiasts just don't buy those boats --just my thoughts.

swchang
11-19-2003, 09:19 PM
while i think you have solid points, i do not think that a car in this class is rational, not is it a 'consumer reports' based decision --the demographic for this class, on average, is amazingly affluent and these are not likely to be the only car. reliability is likely also one of the last things to consider for these buyers, i'll bet and relative to the sports cars or sport useless vehicles that would typically accompany these boats, the luxo boats are lookin' pretty reliable.

i am also guessing that most of us, given this amount of money to spend, would NEVER buy any of these cars, as you also pointed out. most of us likely would never go larger than a 5 series/E class because enthusiasts just don't buy those boats --just my thoughts.

You have strong points as well. I do think there's something to be said about reliability even for non-enthusiasts/rich folks, though. Time is money, and having to bring your car in over and over for glitches, minor or major, is a waste of time, a drag, and a major pain in the behind. :)

BlackChrome
11-19-2003, 09:56 PM
I really like the new XJ, it's so sexy!

What about a XJ-R??? :thumbup:

Jever
11-19-2003, 11:48 PM
I would go with the A8, but would ditch those horrendous wheels. Unless there is like a 20k discount for having them on for a year that is.

Betcour
11-20-2003, 09:10 AM
I'm affraid I never drone any of those, but several comparative reviews seem to put the A8 ahead, as its build-quality and comfort seems to be above the rest of the crowd. The BMW would come second though.

3seriesbimmer
11-20-2003, 01:37 PM
Kick ass sound system ,millions of buttons to push, silent interior riding.... Lexus LS 430 all the way. I've sat (not driven one) and thats enough for me....the only one of these cars I haven't sat in/driven is the Jag and I'm not to fond of it on looks alone. :thumbup:

carfan
11-20-2003, 11:06 PM
I have not personally driven the A8 or Jaguar, but I will admit they are beautiful looking cars. So are the rest. However, my pick is definitely the BMW 7 series. The drive of this car is phenomenal, extremely luxurious, but with a tap of the accelerator youíre flying. I am not sure what the 0-60 time for the rest of the cars is, but the 7 is 5.9. I do not feel that the i-drive system is very complicated, but for those who do, my question would be why did Audi design such a similar feature? I have driven the S500 and the LS 430, and neither is nearly as responsive as the 745. But forgetting anything else this BMW is an amazing drive, and until I experience the Audi and Jaguar, Iím sticking with the bimmer.

Bill325Ci
11-21-2003, 03:29 PM
Picked the A8. I like the design much better than the new 7 series.

ed325i
11-21-2003, 04:48 PM
For that kind of money? RS6.

Ed

Bruce128iC
11-21-2003, 04:57 PM
NO contest....745i in a heartbeat over those other cars! :thumbup:

I really LOVE the styling! :D