PDA

View Full Version : aftermarket navigation?

emilford
11-20-2003, 08:49 AM
I was told that it's not possible to get BMW to do an after install of their navigation system. Well, not possible might not be correct...rather, they just don't offer it.

I'm looking to add a navigation system to my 2002 330CI. I want one that fits nicely into the dash...not one with an external display that sits off to the side. A retractable one would work as well.

I'm looking for pictures of others' setups. Anyone have navigation system recommendations? Setups? Brands? Any help is appreciated.

/\/\
11-20-2003, 12:50 PM
I was told that it's not possible to get BMW to do an after install of their navigation system. Well, not possible might not be correct...rather, they just don't offer it.

I'm looking to add a navigation system to my 2002 330CI. I want one that fits nicely into the dash...not one with an external display that sits off to the side. A retractable one would work as well.

I'm looking for pictures of others' setups. Anyone have navigation system recommendations? Setups? Brands? Any help is appreciated.

This is best system I have seen yet:

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=16568&highlight=carputer

Good luck whatever you choose :thumbup:

/\/\

Pinecone
11-20-2003, 05:18 PM
There are a few out there. But figure, it is going to cost you a good bit to do so. At least $1500, maybe as much as $3000. And it won't match the interior and lighting.

I still prefer the Garmin StreetPilot 3 or newer 2610. Not only do you get a nice GPS system for under $800. The interface is better than most out there. You can take it with you on trips to use in rental cars. You can use it in more than one car. And when something newer and better comes out, you will still have spent less on two systems, than on one installed system. Even less if you sell the older one on eBay (a StreetPilot 3 is still worth about $500).

But anyway, good luck and post pictures.

nealh
11-20-2003, 07:36 PM
There are a few out there. But figure, it is going to cost you a good bit to do so. At least $1500, maybe as much as $3000. And it won't match the interior and lighting.

I still prefer the Garmin StreetPilot 3 or newer 2610. Not only do you get a nice GPS system for under $800. The interface is better than most out there. You can take it with you on trips to use in rental cars. You can use it in more than one car. And when something newer and better comes out, you will still have spent less on two systems, than on one installed system. Even less if you sell the older one on eBay (a StreetPilot 3 is still worth about $500).

But anyway, good luck and post pictures.

I have the Garmin 2610 it works great..I highly recommend it..I got for my wife fron gpscity.com...for $785 shipped about 6 weeks..she loves it

Magellan just came out with one too...

Garmin comes with everything you need and software works great...

alee
11-20-2003, 07:37 PM
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30029

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12744

Pinecone
11-21-2003, 06:11 AM
I got my 2610 from GPSDiscount.com I have been dealing with them for accessories for my StreetPilot III and have had VERY good service from them, at excellent prices.

My only wonder now is to sell the SP III or not. :)

The BMW built in is not bad, but the screen that low is not that good for safety. And I would want to know if hte interface is the same, as the BMW user interface is pretty awful compare to say the Garmin.

Pinecone
11-21-2003, 06:12 AM
BTW the problem with the retractable ones placed where the head unit normally sits is that when extended, they block the center vents. And since I use mine a good bit, I wouldn't want those vents to be blocked.