PDA

View Full Version : Just got Sirius in 03 530i

nealh
11-20-2003, 11:20 AM
I had them install the OEM setup..very seamless but there a few things that are annoying..on the dash where you see the time...it will not scroll info on artist and song

Also scroll on has to be activated each time the car is used

I think aftermarket displays are probably more featured filled..some allow you to save favorite songs and when they are played switch to them

I had the antennae installed on my roof..not real bad looking IMHO but it should be a lower profile... like alot of the satellite antennae for example like those on the ML320 we have or even the ones on the new 5 series...

I tinted my windows in FL and where I live there alot of trees and I tried a portable Sirius setup with antennae on my rear deck reception sucked, placed the magnet antennae on my car roof ..reception was better but the Audiovox car kit antennae did not give as good reception as the BMW mounted roof antennae...I have not lost the satellite reception when going under an overpass on the HWY yet...

The sirius service is very good with music..excellent quality feels close to CD
talk station have a slight "echo" distortion to voice ...not bad and I got used to it very fast...I would rather have more bandwidth with music of course

I have only listened for like 2 days but I am very happy with it

I love the fact there are no commercials on the music stations
I am listening to:
80s
Pulse
Starlite
US-1
ESPN news
ESPN radio

a few minutes on Sirius Right/Left talk radio

when you listen to third part stuff..talk radio you get commercials and I find these very annoying now but I love the option of so many stations

But if you find an aftermarket setup and display you like I think you will get more features from it

I think at $10 -$13/mo for Siirus/XM they are at the good price point over this I am not sure I would want to pay it

I got on BMW plan..first 2 mo are free..then I bought 1 yr plan for cost of 11mo

Frank Rizzo
11-21-2003, 07:13 AM
I had them install the OEM setup..very seamless but there a few things that are annoying..on the dash where you see the time...it will not scroll info on artist and song

Also scroll on has to be activated each time the car is used

I think aftermarket displays are probably more featured filled..some allow you to save favorite songs and when they are played switch to them

I had the antennae installed on my roof..not real bad looking IMHO but it should be a lower profile... like alot of the satellite antennae for example like those on the ML320 we have or even the ones on the new 5 series...

I tinted my windows in FL and where I live there alot of trees and I tried a portable Sirius setup with antennae on my rear deck reception sucked, placed the magnet antennae on my car roof ..reception was better but the Audiovox car kit antennae did not give as good reception as the BMW mounted roof antennae...I have not lost the satellite reception when going under an overpass on the HWY yet...

The sirius service is very good with music..excellent quality feels close to CD
talk station have a slight "echo" distortion to voice ...not bad and I got used to it very fast...I would rather have more bandwidth with music of course

I have only listened for like 2 days but I am very happy with it

I love the fact there are no commercials on the music stations
I am listening to:
80s
Pulse
Starlite
US-1
ESPN news
ESPN radio

a few minutes on Sirius Right/Left talk radio

when you listen to third part stuff..talk radio you get commercials and I find these very annoying now but I love the option of so many stations

But if you find an aftermarket setup and display you like I think you will get more features from it

I think at $10 -$13/mo for Siirus/XM they are at the good price point over this I am not sure I would want to pay it

I got on BMW plan..first 2 mo are free..then I bought 1 yr plan for cost of 11mo

Neal:
Try 147 - the comedy channel (147). Makes a traffic jam kinda fun.
The E46 is the same way - you have to set the "scroll" feature on whenever you re-start the car. It's some sort of BMW logic probably, that you are not supposed to staring at the display, you are supposed to driving!! I think the factory set up is worth it, though...rather than having some large controller tacked to the dash or in the ashtray

Frank Rizzo
11-28-2003, 11:18 PM
What about the "out-Q" channel bro?

Thought you'd be hookin that stuff up by now!

nealh
11-29-2003, 07:54 AM
What about the "out-Q" channel bro?

Thought you'd be hookin that stuff up by now!

Hmmm....why?

I pretty much just listen to manly sports of course...LOL

I do did t olisten to more stuff..right now primarily 80s, Starlite, Pulse, ESPN and Talk(just couple of times)