PDA

View Full Version : Airbag warning light

Patrick
11-22-2003, 08:06 AM
Preface:

I have RTFM.

I have used the search function herein with the key words "airbag warning light."

I noticed yesterday that my airbag warning light came on upon ignition (as normal), went off, and then a few moments later, came back on again. I didn't think twice about it until it did the same today. The manual says to see the service dept. ASAP and I will do that Monday.

I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced the same (search said DanB has with his E39 - but he never posted the results), and if so, what was the deal.

I would interested to know.

The yellow "check engine" warning light came on last week immediately after the car had been at the dealer for five days to repair a bent rear cargo door (see below). When I had that diagnosed, my service guy explained that for a moment or two, the engine was running on 5 cylinders. Nothing else to worry about.

I have owned this BMW longer than any previous models (12 months) and I am beginning to think that my E39 has bad "carma." It gave me an oil warning during the summer (added 1 liter of oil). A shopping cart mysteriously banged the rear cargo door (repaired last week). Today, some ass-hole rear-ended me in a snow storm at a stop light (he still had summer tires on his car). :tsk:

To make matters worse, there is a Titan Silver 2003 330iA Touring for sale nearby that is tempting the hell out of me ... :eeps:

Alex Baumann
11-22-2003, 08:18 AM
http://www.bmw.com/generic/de/de/products/automobiles/3series/touring/download/img/download_3series_touring_05.jpg

:yummy:

Patrick
11-22-2003, 08:23 AM
That is not helping ... :banghead:

-

mquetel
11-22-2003, 08:26 AM
maybe it's the urinal green color?
:fruit:

Patrick
11-22-2003, 08:29 AM

It is SLATE GREEN!

:mad:

-

Alex Baumann
11-22-2003, 08:55 AM
OK, seriously, I don't think that it's got to do anything with bad karma. First, the oil warning came on just the way it was supposed to. Both accidents with rear ending and shopping cart is annoying and upsetting as much as they can be, but it could happen to any car anytime.

As for the airbag light, you never know when the german gremlins will wake up and play with the electronics. On one case, a german 5 Touring owner had to have the complete NAV, phone and speaker system changed by the dealer three times, because the complete electronics on the car was resisting to work. What happened ? Nothing. After the third repair attempt BMW accepted to buy the car back and gave him a new car. The new car didn't even have a radio/cassette in it :D (per buyer's request)

So have your dealer an error check done. :eeps:

Cliff
11-22-2003, 09:14 AM

Pee green?

FWIW Patrick, when my head unit went south with a short, it affected the warning lights and my airbag warning light was lit (while other lights were unlit). This is probably a symptom of some other electrical failure in the car.

Patrick
11-22-2003, 09:42 AM
So have your dealer an error check done. :eeps:

That was one lemon 5er. Ouch.

I will have another diagnostic check done; strange that this wasn't seen when my guy did the check after the "check engine" warning light came on. Even more strange that all of these things are happening at once - or in sucession.

And Cliff is probably right.

No worries. I won't be driving anywhere today or tomorrow anyway - having a non-functioning airbag in this slippery weather is not a good thing.

Oh well. Where is my Warsteiner ... :eeps:

The 330iT is pretty nice though ... color and options are also perfect ...

-

Patrick
11-22-2003, 09:44 AM
First, the oil warning came on just the way it was supposed to.

True, but after 9,000km? I am no lead foot, so I am a bit concerned about this excessive oil consumption. My service guy (born in Germany BTW) just said that we will "keep an eye on it."

I guess so. :confused:

-

Patrick
11-24-2003, 07:48 AM
The sensor in the passenger seat (that senses if someone is sitting in the seat) has failed.

Repair will require seat removal and partial upholstery removal (1 hour). All covered by warranty.

There you have it.

-

Dr. Phil
11-24-2003, 07:55 AM
It is SLATE GREEN!

:mad:

-
Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight :p

Patrick
11-24-2003, 08:01 AM
Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight :p

When I was at the service dept today, there was an E46 Touring, Urinal Cake Green with Style 73s parked in the next work bay ... : puke:

:angel:

-