PDA

View Full Version : ? regariding subwoofer and ohm rating

nealh
11-23-2003, 08:17 AM
what does it mean?

I am getting a 10W3v2 D-4(there are D-2(2 ohm) and D-6 models(6 ohm))...it has power rating of 300w max..with 4 ohm impedance..

I just can not recall my physics to understand this...

My amp is JL audio 500/5 and I will be using MB quart PCE 213 speakers...my install is in 2 weeeks I am pumped

Kaz
11-23-2003, 11:49 AM
I don't understand what you're asking.

ObD
11-23-2003, 01:10 PM
ohms law
V = IR
P = I<sup>2</sup>R

http://www.jlaudio.com/subwoofers/pdfs/10W3v2_MAN.pdf
http://www.jlaudio.com/amps/pdfs/500_5_MAN.pdf

nealh
11-23-2003, 05:11 PM
ohms law
V = IR
P = I<sup>2</sup>R

http://www.jlaudio.com/subwoofers/pdfs/10W3v2_MAN.pdf
http://www.jlaudio.com/amps/pdfs/500_5_MAN.pdf

Sorry if I was confusing

I was trying to understand the importance of the ohm rating...

Since the sub I am getting has 3 types
10W3V2 D-2 2 ohm
10W3V2 D-4 4 ohm
10W3V2 D-6 6 ohm

Thanks

Kaz
11-23-2003, 05:32 PM
The impedance of the driver has to do with your configuration and amp. JLAudio.com has some very good information on this that I was actually reading a little earlier today.

CWolfey
11-30-2003, 08:12 PM
Sorry if I was confusing

I was trying to understand the importance of the ohm rating...

Since the sub I am getting has 3 types
10W3V2 D-2 2 ohm
10W3V2 D-4 4 ohm
10W3V2 D-6 6 ohm

Thanks

The different ohms values allow you to configure your system in different ways for proper amp ratings. The "D" means dual voice coil.

for instance:

You would use the dual 2 ohm if you are using 1 woofer and the amp can only handle 4 ohms in bridge(mono) Mode. By wiring it in series with it self you would get 4 ohms.

You would use the dual 4 ohm again if you are bridging and amp and using 2 woofers but still need 4 ohms load. By wiring each woofer in series and then in parallele with the other you would get 4ohms load.

Dual voice coil can be considered 2 speakers.

Series is when you connect 2 speakers together using the positive from one to the negative to the other and the remaining wires are the input.

Parallele is when you take the positive and the negative from both speakers and connect them together and both are the input.

nealh
11-30-2003, 08:26 PM
The different ohms values allow you to configure your system in different ways for proper amp ratings. The "D" means dual voice coil.

for instance:

You would use the dual 2 ohm if you are using 1 woofer and the amp can only handle 4 ohms in bridge(mono) Mode. By wiring it in series with it self you would get 4 ohms.

You would use the dual 4 ohm again if you are bridging and amp and using 2 woofers but still need 4 ohms load. By wiring each woofer in series and then in parallele with the other you would get 4ohms load.

Dual voice coil can be considered 2 speakers.

Series is when you connect 2 speakers together using the positive from one to the negative to the other and the remaining wires are the input.

Parallele is when you take the positive and the negative from both speakers and connect them together and both are the input.

So what happens if you wire it in parallel with itself??

I am getting a D4 or 4 ohm sub..so if it is in parallel, I understand this to mean the amp would see it as 2 ohms

CWolfey
12-01-2003, 05:37 PM
So what happens if you wire it in parallel with itself??

I am getting a D4 or 4 ohm sub..so if it is in parallel, I understand this to mean the amp would see it as 2 ohms

Thats correct.

Lostboy7500
12-06-2003, 04:08 PM
Just so you know I installed a JL 12W3D4 with a 440/1 Soundstream amp and I originally had it wired parallel but when I turned it up to a certain point the amp didnt like the 2ohm load and would go into protection so I had to switch it and wire it in series now there are no problems. I know its an amp issue but just thought I would share....

nealh
12-06-2003, 04:46 PM
Just so you know I installed a JL 12W3D4 with a 440/1 Soundstream amp and I originally had it wired parallel but when I turned it up to a certain point the amp didnt like the 2ohm load and would go into protection so I had to switch it and wire it in series now there are no problems. I know its an amp issue but just thought I would share....

Thanks..I am not sure whether this will be an issue with the JL audio amp or not

BillP
12-13-2003, 11:56 AM
Thanks..I am not sure whether this will be an issue with the JL audio amp or not

Your JL Audio amp will automatically compensate for impedance differences between, I believe, 2 and 4 ohms, but cannot do so outside of that range. The amp accomplishes this by adjusting the rail voltage.

I went with a single voice coil 4ohm sub to simplify wiring and because single voice coil subs are (slightly) preferred over dual voicecoil subs due to lower distortion levels.

Rather than get a lesson in sub wiring and ohms law, just tell us the models of subs you are looking at and the number of subs you want and we'll recommend a configuration.

Bill

nealh
12-13-2003, 01:53 PM
Your JL Audio amp will automatically compensate for impedance differences between, I believe, 2 and 4 ohms, but cannot do so outside of that range. The amp accomplishes this by adjusting the rail voltage.

I went with a single voice coil 4ohm sub to simplify wiring and because single voice coil subs are (slightly) preferred over dual voicecoil subs due to lower distortion levels.

Rather than get a lesson in sub wiring and ohms law, just tell us the models of subs you are looking at and the number of subs you want and we'll recommend a configuration.

Bill

I am getting a JL audio 10W3V2 D-4 sub the 4 ohm model and it will placed in a boxed enclosure. I am getting just a single sub...