PDA

View Full Version : Is your RDS function on?

Bobby 325i
11-23-2003, 04:24 PM
Hey guys/gals, I just wanted to see how many people have the RDS function Enabled on their Radio's. Recently many Radio Stations started to participate with RDS system where the name of the Station appears on the display instead of the frequency. Also, The name of the band and the song's name are being displayed in a scrolling marque on the radio. It's a pretty neat feature:thumbup:

alee
11-23-2003, 04:28 PM
Yep, Z100 just started doing it about 2 weeks ago. :thumbup:

Kaz
11-23-2003, 04:31 PM
Pretty much all the ClearChannel-owned stations around here have been doing it to some extent for over a year now. Too bad even they're a decade behind.

Bobby 325i
11-23-2003, 04:34 PM
Yep, Z100 just started doing it about 2 weeks ago. :thumbup:

Here's a list of NYC/Long Island stations being displayed:
92.7FM - WLIR
100.3 - Z100
102.3 - WBAB
103.5 - 1035 KTU
104.3 - Q104
105.1 - Power105
106.1 - 106.1BLI

Mathew
11-23-2003, 04:41 PM
I've noticed this too. I first thought it was just an iDrive thing, then I saw it on my E46 nav system. I really like it.

Kaz
11-23-2003, 04:42 PM
In addition to song info, I've seen the aforementioned ClearChannel station broadcast:

Weather
Stock reports
advertisements
PSAs
traffic info
Other station info (next program/DJ, request #, etc.)
concert ticket info

The BMW radio (compared to a Pioneer I used to have) does a pretty poor job of scrolling the text, nor can you select one of the 4 available text channels, so it seems to just step through 1-4 sequentially.

Bobby 325i
11-23-2003, 04:45 PM
In addition to song info, I've seen the aforementioned ClearChannel station broadcast:

Weather
Stock reports
advertisements
PSAs
traffic info
Other station info (next program/DJ, request #, etc.)
concert ticket info

The BMW radio (compared to a Pioneer I used to have) does a pretty poor job of scrolling the text, nor can you select one of the 4 available text channels, so it seems to just step through 1-4 sequentially.

You're right, The BMW system scrolls very very slowly. I know on the E39's radio you can choose 3 or 4 different settings for RDS

Bobby 325i
11-23-2003, 04:46 PM
Cool. When I got the car this summer I couldn't believe the major NYC stations didn't use RDS. But if they do now I'll have to fiddle with it again.

Fiddle away good man:rofl:

LmtdSlip
11-24-2003, 09:25 AM
Its amazing that more OEM radios arent equipped with RDS. The technology has been around for quite awhile now.

The first car I had with RDS was the then new A4. Almost no stations aired the RDS info back then. Seems just less than half of the stations I listen to broadcast RDS in our market.

Kaz
11-24-2003, 10:00 AM
Its amazing that more OEM radios arent equipped with RDS. The technology has been around for quite awhile now.

The first car I had with RDS was the then new A4. Almost no stations aired the RDS info back then. Seems just less than half of the stations I listen to broadcast RDS in our market.

European cars usually come with them, since it's been in active use there for over a decade. It doesn't exist in Japan, so the Japanese are probably more reluctant to bother with it (but give us in-dash changers, MP3 ability, and DVDAudio instead). I'm actually surprised that BMW didn't deactivate this in the radio and make us all go to the dealer to have it turned on. :p

IIRC in the A4, the RDS also scrolls on the in-dash display as well as on the radio. Neat.

jaisonline
11-24-2003, 10:33 AM
2 stations in phila (102.1 and 104.5) just began broadcasting the artist-song title on the past few months via rds. however, some stations like 100.3 give the artist/song title in the rds's radio text broadcast.

i really wish if all cars which have rds would also have the rds radio text feature. i don't mean to nitpick, but why be half-ass? give us the complete rds functionality/features or nothing!

Bill325Ci
11-24-2003, 10:52 AM
Most of the major stations in the Houston area are owned by Clear Channel. The broadcast the station and the format, but not the song title and artist.

drmwvr
11-24-2003, 11:11 AM
Most of the major stations in the Houston area are owned by Clear Channel. The broadcast the station and the format, but not the song title and artist.

Out of the radio stations I listen to, 96.5 is the only one that displays the artist and song title (Houston).

Bill325Ci
11-24-2003, 11:36 AM
Out of the radio stations I listen to, 96.5 is the only one that displays the artist and song title (Houston).

I generally listen to KKRW (93.7) and sometimes to 101.1 and 107.5. They broadcast the call letters and format, but not the title and artist.

Technic
11-24-2003, 12:57 PM
In South Florida, for the last month, at least 5 stations that I know of started using RDS pretty heavy: Love 94 (Artist and song name), 99 Jams, Clasica (Spanish), Y100 and 89.1 (this one is just crazy, they display stuff like phone numbers, announcements, part of the song, whatever the DJ is thinking at the moment).

It is very nice so far, although I experienced RDS like 10 years ago in Germany.

Hoffa
11-24-2003, 01:04 PM
Hum.

Here in Toronto, Canada, many stations have been doing the RDS for a long time (if I understand it correctly at least). We have had the station name and genre of the station. Not sure if this is the same thing as the scrolling songname infromation. That sounds pretty cool.

Im gonna take a shot in the dark and guess this is deal with the growing interest in sat radios with all this info? Thoughts?

Kaz
11-24-2003, 01:42 PM
Im gonna take a shot in the dark and guess this is deal with the growing interest in sat radios with all this info? Thoughts?

Yeah, someone suggested that on another thread someplace. That's a possibility, though the satellite people really don't seem to be marketing this ability at all, and only going on about commercial-free (which is not so on XM) more than anything else.

sdwolff
11-26-2003, 02:41 PM
94.9 ZETA and 105.9 Big 106 also are showing RDS signal in South Florida, but at first it scrolled at a nice steady pace, but now it'sbecome really, realy, really slow. Is that something the radio station controls?

In South Florida, for the last month, at least 5 stations that I know of started using RDS pretty heavy: Love 94 (Artist and song name), 99 Jams, Clasica (Spanish), Y100 and 89.1 (this one is just crazy, they display stuff like phone numbers, announcements, part of the song, whatever the DJ is thinking at the moment).

It is very nice so far, although I experienced RDS like 10 years ago in Germany.

BlackChrome
11-26-2003, 06:30 PM
Mine is on. About 2 out of 3 stations stored in my presets have RDS. It's a really neat feature!

PhilH
11-27-2003, 05:57 AM
2 stations in phila (102.1 and 104.5) just began broadcasting the artist-song title on the past few months via rds. however, some stations like 100.3 give the artist/song title in the rds's radio text broadcast.

i really wish if all cars which have rds would also have the rds radio text feature. i don't mean to nitpick, but why be half-ass? give us the complete rds functionality/features or nothing!
So the BMW radios don't show RDS radio text, only RDS? I listen to 100.3 and have never seen any song title / artist information.

Patrick
11-27-2003, 06:09 AM
Is this a new thing in the US? :dunno:

I can't recall how long that has been functioning here.

Certain stations broadcast sports results, weather and so on. I guess I never really paid that much attention to it.

-

Bobby 325i
11-27-2003, 06:15 AM
Is this a new thing in the US? :dunno:

I can't recall how long that has been functioning here.

Certain stations broadcast sports results, weather and so on. I guess I never really paid that much attention to it.

-

Yes. It is a new thing here in the US. Radio Stations implemented the RDS system around 2 weeks ago here in NY

TD
11-27-2003, 07:02 AM
Honestly, I have no idea if any local stations are doing this.

The only time I listen to radio is to listen to NPR. Otherwise it's XM.

The music played on the radio is universally crap. So I can ID the crap. Big deal.

AF
11-27-2003, 08:48 AM
I never realized our radios did this since I always had the clock 'on' on the radio until 2 weeks ago I got a loaner 525i and saw it.

As soon as I got my car back I turned the clock 'off' and realized our cars do this . . . it's really cool :thumbup:

Technic
11-27-2003, 09:09 AM
94.9 ZETA and 105.9 Big 106 also are showing RDS signal in South Florida, but at first it scrolled at a nice steady pace, but now it'sbecome really, realy, really slow. Is that something the radio station controls?

I guess so, because what I know about RDS is that it is a code imposed over the TX signaling, i.e., separate from the regular transmission. Because the radio stations can send whatever they want, I assume that they also have control of the scrolling speed and general format of their RDS.