PDA

View Full Version : why won't my car start?

globemaster3
11-23-2003, 07:11 PM
so for the past 2 weeks or so, my car has trouble starting on the first start of the day (not always at o-dark-thirty in the morning - so it's not always cold)... :thumbdwn:
today was icing on the cake!
it took about 5 tries to start. :mad:
and it still sputtered. after getting a start, i gently revved the engine to 2000 rpms, held for about 20 sec, then tried to drive off (in first gear).
but the car sputtered - half of it wanted to quit, and half of it wanted to continue, so the car was like "bucking" as i drove away at 10 mph...
after about 20 seconds (think about it - that's a long time to buck, bull riders only do it for 8 seconds...) the car started driving "normally"...
WTF? :dunno:
it was embarrassing enough - driving down the road in my sweet new ride, bucking like a freaking 30 year old beater... :cry:
please advise what's wrong, will it be easy for the dealer to fix, is it covered under warranty, and any other info you might like to add.
thanks for your time!

Pinecone
11-24-2003, 06:33 AM
The first thing I would truy, is to put in a bottle of some form of water remover. I like Redline the best, but any will work.

Also put in a bottle of Chevron Techron (available at auto parts stores or WalMart).

If these don't help after a day or two, it may be the idel control valve. It seems that several people have had this problem lately and the idle control valve was the problem.

marinakorp
11-25-2003, 01:45 PM
check the Idle control Valve
the fuel filter/pump
then the Camshaft position sensor... then the MAF

one of them is bound to be the culprit

ALL of the above a re easy to fix... the ICV is easy to clean then replace if necessary...

All others are EASY (relatively anyway) to DIY... hate doing fuel stuff

eeyore
11-28-2003, 11:57 PM
RUn your tank almost dry and then put a tank of primuim fuel in it from a gas station other than the one you usley use. THen drive it hard for at least 20 miles the next day try a cold start and see how it runs. sometimes for whatever reason some disel fuel or other fuel can get mixed in the gas at the station and will cause a condition like this. If you still have the problem after this the dme may need to be reprogramed.

globemaster3
11-29-2003, 09:25 PM
RUn your tank almost dry and then put a tank of primuim fuel in it from a gas station other than the one you usley use. THen drive it hard for at least 20 miles the next day try a cold start and see how it runs. sometimes for whatever reason some disel fuel or other fuel can get mixed in the gas at the station and will cause a condition like this. If you still have the problem after this the dme may need to be reprogramed.

i think the prob (suggested by someone else) was h2o (water).
i had about 1/4 tank of gas, and that combined with ideal temperature conditions that could cause condensation probably led to a little water in the tank...

i took the idea of going to walmart to get a water remover, but the only "water remover" i saw was "iso-heet". so i got it.
i put it in my tank, and filled the tank up with premium fuel.
the car started on the first try, the next morning!
i haven't had a single prob with it since - tho the car was in dallas over the holiday (warmer weather)...

thanks for the ideas!!