PDA

View Full Version : Drive Shaft /Transfer Case Problems :(

foxxy_k
06-28-2010, 10:23 AM
Was wondering if anyone has ever had to replace the drive shaft on the x5? Just last Friday I ended up having my 03 x5 (85k mi) towed to a mechanic!!! I was on my way to work and just got off the Interstate, waiting for the light to change. When I pressed the gas pedal to take off all of a sudden I hear an awful gringing noise. Luckily I was able to get into a nearby parking lot where I immediately parked the car. Grinding noise when in d or r when the accelerator is pressed. wth!? The mechanic says my front drive shaft completely came apart and a may need a new transfer case!!! Ugh...seriously?:bawling: He says he's never known this part to go bad on x5's (which makes me feel even more special) He suspects my a bad transfer case is where the problem originated but says he can't be sure until the drive shaft is replaced? And that the transfer case will def make a bad noise if it is malfunctioning after replacing the drive shaft? Well why wasn't the transfer case making noise prior to it causing the drive shaft to fail to begin with? Now its looking like I will have to replace both....at the same time!!:tsk:

Is anyone familiar with this problem on an X5?

UncleJ
06-29-2010, 09:27 AM
You can probably save a lot of money here using used parts from a dismantled X5. Check with your indy mech to see what he thinks. Seems like 85K miles is not enough to wear those parts out without something else (severe service, etc.) involved IMHO.:dunno:

Diane Gibbs
06-30-2010, 03:29 PM
I was sitting at a light waiting to turn and it felt like someone had bumped me from behind and then I heard this awful whirring sound. Car would not move. I was towed and when it came off the truck, the driver put it in Park and the car kept rolling...He looked at me and said it's your tranny. Turns out it is the transfer case and drive shaft. What does this repair cost? Any ideas?

sunny5280
07-28-2010, 07:14 AM
I was sitting at a light waiting to turn and it felt like someone had bumped me from behind and then I heard this awful whirring sound. Car would not move. I was towed and when it came off the truck, the driver put it in Park and the car kept rolling...He looked at me and said it's your tranny. Turns out it is the transfer case and drive shaft. What does this repair cost? Any ideas?

I recently replaced both drive shafts in my 2001 4.4i. I did so not because of a problem with the drive shafts themselves but rather the CV boots were torn. My mechanic told me it would cost ~$30.00 more per side to replace the entire drive shaft over replacing just the CV boots. Total cost was ~ $700.00.

dalelauder2010
08-01-2010, 11:42 AM
I am also having trouble with my transfer case. It seems to make a noise when i speed up from a dead stop. I have read on the internet about a problem with the chain or the drive shaft. Any idea which would apply to my situation? Any help would be appreciated thanks.

rad98
08-18-2010, 08:23 AM
I am having the same exact issue with my x5 E53 2002. Did you ever find out what the issue was?

dalelauder2010
08-21-2010, 07:33 PM
Hi rad98, I took it to my mechanic and he took it apart. It ended up being the chain. I found the chain at Cobra Transmission for $139.99 including shipping. http://cobratransmission.blogspot.com/search?q=nv125 And the mechanic charged me $375.00. My X5 is working find now.

sweete36
10-14-2010, 12:22 PM
My wife had the same problem apparently it's a common problem with the X5. The factory drive shaft dosn't fully insert into the transfer case (only half way) making it that the weak link of the drive train. I found a company in CA USA (wholesaleimportparts.com) that make the front drive shaft slightly longer so the splines on the shaft insert fully into the transfer case. We were lucky that we didn't have to replace the transfer case and only paid for the shaft and labor. (trans cases are $$$$$). I suggest any one with a X5 to make the upgrade before it's a $3000 job.

DuffMan818
08-15-2013, 12:36 PM
My wife had the same problem apparently it's a common problem with the X5. The factory drive shaft dosn't fully insert into the transfer case (only half way) making it that the weak link of the drive train. I found a company in CA USA (wholesaleimportparts.com) that make the front drive shaft slightly longer so the splines on the shaft insert fully into the transfer case. We were lucky that we didn't have to replace the transfer case and only paid for the shaft and labor. (trans cases are $$$$$). I suggest any one with a X5 to make the upgrade before it's a $3000 job.

Just bought my drive shaft from wholesale Import Parts and everything was right on the money!, these guys are on it. Perfect fit!, the part was delivered on time! and the price was great! hell of a lot better than what those Jokers at BMW are charging for a part that still doesn't have longer splines needed and failed prematurely.

Gotta say, Im very happy I got this great info from these forums! it saved me a lot of money, and my X5 was fixed right the first time around.
http://www.wholesaleimportparts.com/BMW_Drive_Shaft.php :D

www.wholesaleimportparts.com :thumbup:

tciambotti1
11-19-2013, 07:20 AM
I'm in the same boat as far as the driveshaft and transfer case. Just got off the phone with BMWNA, they told me that they know about the issue but is wasn't documented enough to issue a bulletin or recall.