PDA

View Full Version : GPS with Ipaq or Notebook for US and Europe

elver
11-24-2003, 06:40 AM
I am doing ED in May 2004 and am looking to buy a GPS that I can connect to my Ipaq or notebook, I have seen a few on the internet, some of them with blue tooth so you don't have to worry about cables, but they come with US and Canada maps, is there anyone on this board than is using and can recomend one where both US and European maps can be used?

MG67
11-24-2003, 07:31 AM
A friend of mine sells these things in the Netherlands (also in the states) they are great... check out there website:

http://www.tomtom.com

I had one in my lease car in the Netherlands with an Ipaq, the directions and the maps are very clear...

Mike

Nde
11-24-2003, 12:01 PM
I had an old Magellan about a year ago. It hooks onto my laptop and PDA. I personally don't like it. I had 4 new Duracell Ultra (AAA) in the device, it ran out of battery after about 6 hours of usage. Taking it apart and try to hide your laptop after your ride is a pain in the ass. I personally didn't like it. If I have to choice, I would have gotten a Garmin Streepilot. I don't have any Euro experience, but two of my friend in US sure love it.

xspeedy
11-24-2003, 02:52 PM
For a GPS, find one that has a cable and supports NMEA 2.0 or better. I have a relatively old Garmin III that worked out well. There is a combo cable avaiable for it that serves both power/data purposes.

For software available in the US, you can send away to Microsoft for the trial version of MapPoint Europe 2004. It is only $8.35 + S/H.

http://www.microsoft.com/mappoint/2004/trial.mspx

If you are taking a car adapter for power to your laptop or PDA, don't forget to take one of those 4 into 1 power adapters. Found a nice one at Best Buy for $10.

Pinecone
11-24-2003, 03:14 PM
Why not just buy a Garmin? You can get Euro maps for it. Then you don't have to drive around with the laptop hooked to a box on the dash and cables, etc.

Both the StreetPilot III and StreetPilot 2610 either come with Euro CD and you buy the US later, or come with the US, and you buy Euro.

MUCH more elegant solution. I have used GPS to laptop, and it a clunky and NOT fun to use while actually driving.