PDA

View Full Version : small plastic key

suzer
11-25-2003, 07:15 PM
OK, I RTFM, and I searched the forums, and I'm racking my brain and checking everywhere in the house, but now I give up and need help.

My husband has three keys to his 330i (May 2001) - two regular keys with the remotes on them, and one teeny tiny plastic key that fits in his wallet.

I have three keys to my X5 (Feburary 2003 build) - two regular keys and one key that's about the same size as they others, but it has a gray plastic top, not the remote.

I can't find and don't remember the little tiny key. My husband insists I have thrown it away (I did once, in 1991, throw away the television remote :yikes: , and have been forever branded "the chick who throws things away" since).

Did I really get one and lose it? The manual says it should be there - it lists four keys. But, it was totally wrong about the Homelink programming, so I know mistakes do happen, and things do change.

Emission
11-25-2003, 07:20 PM
OMG you are the chick who throws things away! :rofl:

I have the same keys you have for your X5 (for our X5). I don't remember getting any wallet key for it.

SARAFIL
11-25-2003, 07:25 PM
Did I really get one and lose it? The manual says it should be there - it lists four keys. But, it was totally wrong about the Homelink programming, so I know mistakes do happen, and things do change.
This March, BMW switched over from 4 keys (2 masters, 1 valet and 2 plastic spare) to 3 keys (2 masters and 1 valet/spare combo). Looks like your husband is the one that lost one of the keys to HIS car. Ask him what he did with it. ;)

Edit: Is your car a February build, for sure? Maybe they stopped shipping 4 keys on the X5s a few weeks early. :dunno: If your 3rd key is entirely made of grey plastic, then you have 3 keys. If it is a metal key like the rest, but with a top portion in grey plastic instead of black plastic with remote functions, then you should have 4 keys.

bten
11-26-2003, 04:15 PM
I have a Sept. 2002 build 2003. It came with 4 keys, 2 reg., 1 valet, and 1 wallet. Looks like you lost 1. Don't feel bad, my wife lost a reg key to her Lexus, we still haven't paid the $200+ to replace it. (she too thinks she threw it away....)

suzer
11-26-2003, 06:42 PM
This March, BMW switched over from 4 keys (2 masters, 1 valet and 2 plastic spare) to 3 keys (2 masters and 1 valet/spare combo). Looks like your husband is the one that lost one of the keys to HIS car. Ask him what he did with it. ;)

Edit: Is your car a February build, for sure? Maybe they stopped shipping 4 keys on the X5s a few weeks early. :dunno: If your 3rd key is entirely made of grey plastic, then you have 3 keys. If it is a metal key like the rest, but with a top portion in grey plastic instead of black plastic with remote functions, then you should have 4 keys.

Well, I guess we've each lost a key then. My third key is grey plastic on top and metal on the bottom like the rest, and I cannot find the fourth key anywhere.

My husband doesn't have a key that looks like that, just two regular ones and the super tiny one.

I think I'm going to go with the less guilty conscience, since it looks like my husband has lost a "real" key, while I've lost something much smaller. Maybe it was in an envelope or something. :dunno:

Since I have survived the "You threw away the TV remote" episode (for the record, I believe it was hidden in a week-high pile of newspapers, as the remote went AWOL right after trash day, back in the early 1990s, and I did replace all $60 of it, immediately :angel: ), I bet I'll survive this, as well.

AndDown
11-27-2003, 01:13 PM
Well, I guess we've each lost a key then. My third key is grey plastic on top and metal on the bottom like the rest, and I cannot find the fourth key anywhere.

My husband doesn't have a key that looks like that, just two regular ones and the super tiny one.

I think I'm going to go with the less guilty conscience, since it looks like my husband has lost a "real" key, while I've lost something much smaller. Maybe it was in an envelope or something. :dunno:

Since I have survived the "You threw away the TV remote" episode (for the record, I believe it was hidden in a week-high pile of newspapers, as the remote went AWOL right after trash day, back in the early 1990s, and I did replace all $60 of it, immediately :angel: ), I bet I'll survive this, as well.

You might already have done this, but have you checked the leatherette case which had the manual, etc? Mine was tucked in one of the small pockets and this is what the car thiefs are looking for when they break the BMW car locks.

suzer
11-27-2003, 01:37 PM
Third place I checked, right after I looked in the folder I keep the car stuff in, and my jewelry box (which is where I keep spare keys, safe deposit keys, etc).

Thanks for trying, though!