PDA

View Full Version : Headlight Protection

joea9146
11-26-2003, 09:18 AM
Is anyone using any type of plastic film to protect the headlight covers.
I have an OO 3 series and was just wondering if anyone has broken the
headlight covers. Also if anyone has used anytype of protective film.

If so what are you using how does it hold up and have you replaced
the film after any amount of time does it leave any residue on the orginal cover.

pps-325xit
11-26-2003, 10:02 AM
I've head the X-Pel headlight kit installed for over 2.5 years. Still looks like new with no damage, discoloration, or residue.

I've seen lots of posts re: cracked foglights and scratched headlights,, which is why installed the kit shortly after purchasing the car.

The HACK
11-26-2003, 10:15 AM
New lenses are $20 each and takes about 10 minutes to replace.

How much do those lense protection kits cost? :dunno:

xspeedy
11-26-2003, 05:40 PM

How much do those lense protection kits cost? :dunno:

BMW for sure sells just the lens? Many manufacturers force you to buy the whole headlight assy.

The HACK
11-27-2003, 11:15 PM
BMW for sure sells just the lens? Many manufacturers force you to buy the whole headlight assy.

I know for sure they do for the E46es.

SergioK
11-27-2003, 11:28 PM
Is anyone using any type of plastic film to protect the headlight covers.
I have an OO 3 series and was just wondering if anyone has broken the
headlight covers. Also if anyone has used anytype of protective film.

If so what are you using how does it hold up and have you replaced
the film after any amount of time does it leave any residue on the orginal cover.

I've been using clear vinyl for the past 3 years and my headlight covers are in perfect condition (except for the crack that The Hack found two days ago, thanx bro). I found this stuff at my local hardware store. It's just a PITA to cover then exacto knife it to the headlight cover.

The HACK
11-27-2003, 11:32 PM
I've been using clear vinyl for the past 3 years and my headlight covers are in perfect condition (except for the crack that The Hack found two days ago, thanx bro). I found this stuff at my local hardware store. It's just a PITA to cover then exacto knife it to the headlight cover.

I can probably build you a template, cut it out of hard cardboard so that you can cut as many as your heart desire. :thumbup:

The only thing is that the way you apply it, it leaves too many air bubbles trapped inside.

SergioK
11-27-2003, 11:43 PM
I can probably build you a template, cut it out of hard cardboard so that you can cut as many as your heart desire. :thumbup:

The only thing is that the way you apply it, it leaves too many air bubbles trapped inside.

True, maybe this next summer I'll get an intern position at a window tinting place. :D

routesixtysixer
11-29-2003, 09:05 AM

Unless you have a 2004 coupe........ :(

SupraRZ
11-30-2003, 04:02 AM
I have the one from StarShield on my X5... it was about 30 bux for the clear headlight savers. It's a lease, but I figured I'd get one because I really hate chipped up headlights. It's about 5mil clear 3M plastic, precut to specs. Works wonders :)