PDA

View Full Version : 2008 750 - advice please

dorcentar7
07-08-2010, 12:22 PM
Well, I am ready to purchase 2008 750 this weekend. If you have some time, can you please browse through these few vehicles, and tell me your thoughts.

I did my homework and I checked carfax and autocheck. All three are clean (no accidents, no lemon…). All three have at least 1.5 years of manufacturer’s warranty left:

1. BMW#1 (http://tinyurl.com/29lv8yk)Really cheap. No obvious issues. I wonder why is it still on sale after almost two months…
2. BMW#2 (http://tinyurl.com/26s5bsc)I am just not a big fan of chrome. How hard is it to take off the chrome bumper trim in front and back, and to switch it with white? I will either powdercoat the wheels in black, or just buy new ones…
3. BMW#3 (http://tinyurl.com/2c9q2tc)I will just powdercoat the wheels in black and not buy new ones. It says that the car has Premium sound, but I don’t see the in-dash CD changer…I guess it doesn’t. I can live without Logic7.

- In general, I don’t care about Sport package much. I will probably install H&R springs and 20 or 21 inch wheels on cars #1 and #2, so that will probably make the ride similar to Sport package based on the comments I read on this site…

Not sure about Dallas cars…:dunno:I see more expensive cars than the first two that have been in Accidents or are Lemon…I wonder why those two are so cheap. The third one is a good choice because I probably wouldn’t install H&R just change the color of the wheels and be done with it…

I see everybody says “check the service history/records”…But how do I do this if I don’t have a “friend” working at the BMW dealership? Can I walk in there, put $50 on the table and ask them to look at the history for me and just to tell me yay or nay? I don’t need any printouts…Can one of you guys check the history of these 3 cars for me?:)

USALEXUSBMW750
07-08-2010, 01:06 PM
#3 give them your offer, little less, this cars sell very bad and take it, best color, 20" chrome rims

1bad540
07-08-2010, 01:47 PM
#3 is the best color cobo and with the better wheels, honestly all of these cars do seem cheap and the orig warr still on them is awesome, have you looked into any that are cpo??

dorcentar7
07-08-2010, 02:02 PM
have you looked into any that are cpo??
The cheapest CPO in radius of 250 miles is $47k and it doesn't have Sport package. I will probably buy extended warranty in about 6 months from the BMW dealership anyway, but at least I get to delay the purchase a bit...

Is CPO that much better than extended warranty from the BMW dealer? :dunno:I think it costs about $1,500 for each year/15k miles…

dorcentar7
07-08-2010, 06:50 PM
I called all three dealers, and they all claim that cars are immaculate, and that they were never in accident.

ndabunka
07-08-2010, 07:06 PM
I called all three dealers, and they all claim that cars are immaculate, and that they were never in accident.

Dealer's can "claim" anything they want. That is part of the risk of not buying from an individual. If it later turns out that the car had been in an accident, the dealers can always claim "I had NO idea of any prior damage" as they would simply claim to be a victim like the new owner and had no prior knowledge. However, if you buy it from the ORIGINAL owner (1-owner car) no such claims can be made as they would be liable for any misrepresentations. Bottom line is that you can NEVER take a dealer "word" for it as their "word" is flimsy and unsubstantiated. I have heard of salespeople being fired for misrepresentation when in fact, the salesperson had no idea that the owner had knowledge of prior damage.....

BobSC
07-08-2010, 07:43 PM
Of the cars listed....I like #2. I'm not a fan of chrome either, but the white exterior with the tan interior is a great color combo and I would prefer it over the black. You can swap the wheels to anything you want.

If your buying for a legitimate car dealer and you still have a year and a half of manufacturers warranty left....you should be fine. I have seen plenty of individual sellers trying to scam people as well. Just do as much homework as you can on the car.

You might try going to the dealership where you are going to have the car serviced and see if they might help you pull up any service records on the vehicle.

Good luck. Alpine White is a GREAT color.

Seven11
07-08-2010, 08:02 PM
do u want an "i" or an "Li"?

so here is the main difference between these 2 cars (#2i and #3Li).

and i prefer lighter interiors, not a fan of black interiors in these cars.

dorcentar7
07-08-2010, 11:22 PM
Of the cars listed....I like #2. I'm not a fan of chrome either, but the white exterior with the tan interior is a great color combo and I would prefer it over the black. You can swap the wheels to anything you want.

Can you please tell me how hard is it to swap the chrome trim with white trim? What is the part number for that?

dorcentar7
07-08-2010, 11:24 PM
do u want an "i" or an "Li"?

I don't care much. If everything is identical, I will take an Li, cause its a bit better deal $...
But in general, if I can save $1k for "i" I'll take it...

diznik007
07-08-2010, 11:42 PM
Can you please tell me how hard is it to swap the chrome trim with white trim? What is the part number for that?

theres a DIY somewhere on this board. easiest thing to do wpould be to have it painted or wrapped in vinyl

I don't care much. If everything is identical, I will take an Li, cause its a bit better deal $...
But in general, if I can save $1k for "i" I'll take it...

:loco: your not even decided on if you want an "i" or an "Li". Have you even given a 7ser a test drive. The E65 and E66 are very different in terms of the way they drive.

momo_oo[][]oo
07-09-2010, 12:11 AM
Dealer won't give/tell you car history unless you are the registered owner.

dorcentar7
07-09-2010, 12:23 AM
:loco: your not even decided on if you want an "i" or an "Li". Have you even given a 7ser a test drive. The E65 and E66 are very different in terms of the way they drive.

Yes, I test drove both. I didn't see much difference in the 10 minute test drive, at least not enough difference to choose one over the other based on how they feel...

1bad540
07-09-2010, 06:15 AM
I would pay alittle more and get a cpo car, my dealer has an alpine white/black 07sport with 22k miles for 44,900, you also get the low apr financing. Im dropping my car off this morn for service im going to take a look at it anyway.

dorcentar7
07-09-2010, 08:39 AM
I would pay alittle more and get a cpo car, my dealer has an alpine white/black 07sport with 22k miles for 44,900, you also get the low apr financing. Im dropping my car off this morn for service im going to take a look at it anyway.

Well, it’s easy for you guys that live in big cities, you have much more options and you can negotiate for days to get the best deal. The best I can find in radius of 250 miles is Dallas. I will get extended warranty eventually. It won’t be CPO but it will be from BMW dealership. Do you know the difference? Last time I was quoted about $1,500 for a year of warranty that covers pretty much everything, the best one they have...

1bad540
07-09-2010, 09:23 AM
real bmw warr your prob looking at closer to 3-4k. Yor prob also better off waiting and getting one from a bmw dealer as they keep the better cars and let the lemons go to auction, which is why you see the cheaper prices on non Bmw dealers, I just came back from my dealer and they had 4 cpo 750's that were all straight as an arrow down the sides with no paint work. with the new body out there are deals but figure at a real dealer cpo car 20k miles about 43-45 is what you will pay. they also have low aprs, 0.9, 2.9 and 3.9 which beats any bank out there right now on a used car. i would say its worth a 200 plane ticket if you find something relatively close. Im in Ny and got my 2nd e65 from the biggest Bmw dealer in Md, i got a good deal and the color and options I wanted, It cost me a few hours on the road and a $200 rented Kia that i dropped off there.

dorcentar7
07-09-2010, 09:44 AM
real bmw warr your prob looking at closer to 3-4k.

3-4k per year? Last year when I checked, they said that it was about $4.5k, but I was getting 3 years and 36k miles, or similar...

I had the service history checked for these 3 cars at the dealer, and they are all clean. All where last serviced either in Dec. 2009 (#3), or March 2010. Two had a computer module recall done. The tech didn't see any red flags in the history.

1bad540
07-09-2010, 09:56 AM
No 3-4 for the warr for 3 yrs. The cpo warr would cover most stuff and would already be included as an extended 2yrs, so an 08 would have factory till 2012 then cpo for 2 more yrs. and most bmw dealer cars are very clean, they also dont keep the cars that have come back numerous times. My 750 had only been back for brakes and oil. In fact the tech told me he never saw a 750 come back less. your spending alot on a used car I would pay the extra few $$ upfront take advantage of the low aprs and get a better car.

dorcentar7
07-09-2010, 12:39 PM
Well, thanx for the advice. I know that buying CPO from a dealer is the safest, but in my case that option costs at least $5k more...I checked carfax, autocheck and service history for these 3 cars and they are all clean. I will go test drive them, and if I don't see anything wrong I'll get one. I am going with a friend who works on cars, and he has a better eye and ear for problems. If I find anything fishy with these 3 I will just walk away, and look for something else...

diznik007
07-09-2010, 02:18 PM
Well, thanx for the advice. I know that buying CPO from a dealer is the safest, but in my case that option costs at least $5k more...I checked carfax, autocheck and service history for these 3 cars and they are all clean. I will go test drive them, and if I don't see anything wrong I'll get one. I am going with a friend who works on cars, and he has a better eye and ear for problems. If I find anything fishy with these 3 I will just walk away, and look for something else...

in general, when purchasing a used car, you would like to find a car that has the least repair history. however, when dealing with an e65, i would take a different approach. i'd look for a car that has a long list of repairs already made. that way, the issues have been rectified and chances are they won't surface again. an 08 model is fairly new so it shouldn't be that long but a 7ser with 35k miles could easily rack up 10 visits :rofl: heres a quote from the most knowledgeable member we've had on the board and i think it speaks volumes. good luck in your search:thumbup:

Get a 7 that already had the electrical problems repaired. If you see the vehicle history having no electrical issues (even MOST bus) including any transmission shift characteristic concerns, tha 7 isn't for you

csmeance
07-09-2010, 06:01 PM
#1 is a good looking car, no comfort access though which eliminates it from my book right away. Looks well equipped besides the wheels which are the basic ones. The color/wood combination is very odd though, not many go with the American Wood with that interior...

#2 is okay, I'm not a fan of the chrome rims either, but the car has been heavily waxed and detailed so it looks a bit odd with the chrome. In natural light it will look a bit different. I'm not a fan of the interior, esp the steering wheel, but that's my opinion. Looks like it's nicely equipped, comfort seats, comfort access, logic 7, etc.

#3 is one of the odd-balls here because it's an Li model vs. the other two i models. It's nicely equipped just as #2, but it doesn't have the cd changer. It's a possibility that it has the factory Ipod hookup in it and thus doesn't have the cd changer. I'd call them and ask them if there is an ipod cord in the glove box, or to go to the audio tab, then settings and ask if they see the logic 7 setting.

In all honesty, first figure out if you want Li or i and then figure out what are some must have options such as comfort access, comfort seats, active cruise, night-vision, etc.

dorcentar7
07-12-2010, 10:33 PM
Well, I went to Dallas, and came back without a car***8230;as you could have guessed.

#1 and #2 were owned by pretty much the same guy. Apparently an Iranian family owns 4-5 dealerships in Dallas, and they sell a lot of used BMW/Mercedes/Audi. They didn***8217;t seem too crooked, but I was not going to pay the asking price. I offered 36k for #1 (I probably would have paid $37k), but they didn***8217;t call me back.

#3 The dealership owner was apparently driving the car over weekend. I talked to him, trying to make an appointment to see the car, so he said if he has to drive 3 hours to show me the car, he wants to know if I am a serious buyer. We talked for about 3 minutes, and then he said, actually I sold the car this morning***8230;WTF? He said another dealer gave him an offer for the car that morning, and he accepted it***8230;

Oh well. I am in no hurry still. Thank you for all your advices and comments.

1bad540
07-13-2010, 09:01 AM
so youll pay the extra 4.5 for a warr in a few yrs but not off the bat?? you do realise that bmw offers 0.9 and 2.9% int?? If your buying the car out right finance the amount you were planning on spending on the warr, trust me its worth it.

Joe-BMW
07-13-2010, 09:48 AM
so youll pay the extra 4.5 for a warr in a few yrs but not off the bat?? you do realise that bmw offers 0.9 and 2.9% int?? If your buying the car out right finance the amount you were planning on spending on the warr, trust me its worth it.

Bingo, my thoughts exactly. The BMW financing rates will offset both the price and the risk in buying from an indy dealer. Sorry, but a 2008 that is being sold by an indy dealer and is not CPO'd was probably not worthy of CPO'ing (accident?) and wholesaled away by a real dealer.

#3 was the best IMO.