PDA

View Full Version : 2002 745i - Key does not read, cash offered $250.00

htownprod
07-08-2010, 01:32 PM
Ok here is the deal I am offering $250.00 for legitimate information from someone who has had problems with there 2002 745i BMW with the key reading the same mileage or reading an earlier time. Information must come a BMW dealership or the headquarters of BMW National.

Here is my story. I had a 2002 745i BMW stolen trashed and burned. July 2008 I had two keys but lost one when moving. Dec 2009 my car was stolen. I gave the only key I had to my Insurance company but they refuse to pay the claim because when they took my key to the BMW dealership it read back to May 2008. Now how is this possible when I drove the car in 2009 with just that key. It should have kept the correct information on it with each usage. The last time the car was at the BMW dealership was in Aug 2008. So if anyone can help me please do so. When someone ask me if I had every taking my car somewhere else to keep track of miles I said the only place it has been was Discount Tires. So when I went to Discount Tires to get my reports from them almost every time the mileage was off either up or down. Yes could they have wrote down the wrong mileage but four times that to me is a red flag. So as complex as my situation is I need an expert help. If anyone can find legated information as the same as mine and I do win my case in court you will receive a check from me for $250.00 .. Please no false information or documentation I only want to be honest even if I lose this case I want to do it the right way. So please if anyone can help please help me ASAP!!!!!

Slick44
07-08-2010, 01:42 PM
i have had a situation where on my previous 750, it had 2 keys.. one which was brand new, and one which was beat up. i used the new one all the time and whenever i took it in for service, id just give them the old key. the old key always read the milage and date that it was used last. it caused issues sometimes because the milage was alot lower on that beatup key as opposed to the actual milage.

looking into the science behind the key, it is more or less like a floppy disk that records information. The key holds information such as service history, malfunctions, whether you wear your seat belt or not, milage etc. To protect a person from getting a car with altered milage.. the key memorizes a long period of time worth of milage.

it doesnt just change everytime you stick the key in then trash the old information.. there is a chunk or a cluster of information that is constantly there and only the oldest information is beign recylced to make room for the newest cluster of information.

you should also know that the information from the key can be edited or altered which is a direction you might want to delve in.

i know i may not be of help but i think this gives you a better idea of the technology.

TechFreak
07-08-2010, 02:39 PM
If by chance your car was fitted with Comfort Access ....(which BMW can definately confirm) .......then you can argue that you never had to put your key in the ignition to start the car .........therefore no mileage update on the key.

Here's the partial details for Comfort Access from BMW. i've only posted the part your interested in which is called ComfortGo .... i cut out the rest... :thumbup:

Comfort Access System

The Comfort Access System is composed of the part functions :

Comfort Entry (automatic access control),
Comfort Go (automatic driver authorisation) and
Comfort Exit.

Comfort Go

The part function Comfort Go enables comfortable starting of the vehicle without the need to insert the remote control in the ignition lock.

Main functions

The Comfort Entry and Comfort Go processes only start at a vehicle speed = 0.

Comfort Go (starting the vehicle)

When the start button is pressed and the brake pedal is pressed, the vehicle interior aerials search for an identifier located in the vehicle. If an identifier belonging to the vehicle is located in the vehicle, an authentication of the identifier is carried out. If the identifier has start authorisation for the vehicle, the CAS enables the start. The aerials are activated by the Comfort Access control unit.

Granting access authorisation/start authorisation

After receipt of a radio signal from the assigned transmitter aerial of the vehicle, the identifier transmitter returns a radio code. If the right data is received in the radio remote control receiver in the vehicle, the functions are enabled. In this way, without actuating the remote control, access authorisation and/or start authorisation are granted.

Good Luck !!

ndabunka
07-08-2010, 04:20 PM
Confused as to why they need the key (at all)? Are they trying to say that they won't pay because they think that you left the key in the car and that was how it was stolen? Who is your insurance company?

htownprod
07-08-2010, 04:40 PM
Thanks Teck but i did not have that in my car and if I did I never used it I always put the key in the host so it should have given me info from 2009 but it didnt. If you come up with anything else please let me know. I also talked to a BMW Service guy in Seattle and he said he has came across this problem several times not to often but it has happen. His manager is going to write a letter on my behalf to let my insurance company know that they have had this problme in their shop before so thank you once again...

@ Ndabunka My insurance compmany is USAA and they said I never used the key that I had a second key that must have started the car to be stollen. They needed the key because they knew it would read the date of last useage just like I knew the key kept the updates as well. But it is funny how they got there hands on the key and now it reads back to 2008... I'm trying to figure out why it took them three weeks to even take the key over to the BMW dealership in the first place. They should have taken it to them that same day. But what ever it is worth I am sure I will come out on top of this mess. My Car was stollen Dec 2009 and they are just now making a decision not to pay seven months later when they had my key read at the BMW dealership 1 Feb 2009... It all does not make since. but i have a lawyer on top of the matter and hopefully it will all come out good in the end... thanks for the reply and if you hear from someone who know about an issuse like mine please have them hit this site up...thanks...

kippk
07-08-2010, 04:44 PM
Yeah really, this insurance company sounds like scammers. Who is it?
I had a car stolen at a gas station with the key in it and my company still paid and it was not a large firm. It seems obvious that the old key would have the old information from the last time the car was driven...Hmmmm. :dunno:

samadkins29
07-08-2010, 05:14 PM
Yeah really, this insurance company sounds like scammers. Who is it?

He said USAA, its the company whose commercial always made me laugh. "My Grandfather always said the greatest thing he could pass down to his children was access to USAA" LOL

htownprod
07-08-2010, 05:22 PM
that's funny samadkins but true. I am learning my lesson on this one...

@ Kippk ... I had two keys in 2008 but lost one. But the key I used from 2008 thorugh 2009 is the only key I had but when they got their hands on the key it magically read back to 2008. But I am fine with that as long as North America BMW tell me this has been a problem with the 2002 745i before. I still cant believe it does not have information at all for 2009. So of course the insurance company is going to say it was last used in the car in 2008 and i must have had another key.... They will try anything not to pay..... But i am sure I will get a hit on here soon of someoe who has had this problem before and besides I have a BMW service guy in Seattle who said he has seen this problem several times... Just waiting on North America BMW to respond.... crossing my fingers,...

ndabunka
07-08-2010, 05:33 PM
Thanks Teck but i did not have that in my car and if I did I never used it I always put the key in the host so it should have given me info from 2009 but it didnt. If you come up with anything else please let me know. I also talked to a BMW Service guy in Seattle and he said he has came across this problem several times not to often but it has happen. His manager is going to write a letter on my behalf to let my insurance company know that they have had this problme in their shop before so thank you once again...

@ Ndabunka My insurance compmany is USAA and they said I never used the key that I had a second key that must have started the car to be stollen. They needed the key because they knew it would read the date of last useage just like I knew the key kept the updates as well. But it is funny how they got there hands on the key and now it reads back to 2008... I'm trying to figure out why it took them three weeks to even take the key over to the BMW dealership in the first place. They should have taken it to them that same day. But what ever it is worth I am sure I will come out on top of this mess. My Car was stollen Dec 2009 and they are just now making a decision not to pay seven months later when they had my key read at the BMW dealership 1 Feb 2009... It all does not make since. but i have a lawyer on top of the matter and hopefully it will all come out good in the end... thanks for the reply and if you hear from someone who know about an issuse like mine please have them hit this site up...thanks...

Thanks for the additional details. Does your policy state that they aren't liable if the key was in it when it was stolen? There are things like Car Jackings where they get the key you are using. Did you file a police report? Check your other thread for my idea on the DMV information to prove mileage (but that may not help you if the issue is the information on the key ONLY).