PDA

View Full Version : Left front door speaker out - Radio or amp problem?

kippk
07-08-2010, 05:15 PM
Hey folks.... Have L7 and like to crank it. Already replaced one amp before extended warranty was up due to losing a sub channel. While still under the year warranty, the driver door speaker went silent but sometimes has sound until I give it any volume at all. My amp was under warranty so I took it in hoping for a freebie fix, but, dealer said they put new amp in and did not solve problem. Determined it must be the RADIO. Has anyone ever had a speaker or speakers quit working and replacing the radio fixed the problem. I love the L7 and keep it at second to highest setting most of the time. I don't think these components can take much time at high volume though, that's what I'm finding out....bummer.

kontir
07-08-2010, 07:57 PM
Hey folks.... Have L7 and like to crank it. Already replaced one amp before extended warranty was up due to losing a sub channel. While still under the year warranty, the driver door speaker went silent but sometimes has sound until I give it any volume at all. My amp was under warranty so I took it in hoping for a freebie fix, but, dealer said they put new amp in and did not solve problem. Determined it must be the RADIO. Has anyone ever had a speaker or speakers quit working and replacing the radio fixed the problem. I love the L7 and keep it at second to highest setting most of the time. I don't think these components can take much time at high volume though, that's what I'm finding out....bummer.

Check yr ASK unit

kippk
07-09-2010, 06:28 AM
Check yr ASK unit

I'll do that. What is it and where is it located? Anything I can check myself or need to pay for diagnostic at stealer. Thanks for your help!!

kontir
07-09-2010, 07:15 AM
I'll do that. What is it and where is it located? Anything I can check myself or need to pay for diagnostic at stealer. Thanks for your help!!

Its the cd player in the center console. Youll need to replace w a working unit from another car to find out if it works or no. Stealer cant tell you if its good or no. They going to tell you to replace everything so they can get $$$ from you...

cansea54
07-13-2010, 11:10 PM
Hi, I just dealt with this on my ride. If your frt left is out your rear left is probably also out,they are powered by the same amp chip in the ASK unit. I took mine out and tested the speakers seperately through the connector that plugs into the back of the ask, that way I know if the speaker and wiring are o.k. An important note when replacing the ASK if you get a used one get the part number and check with the dealer if it will work in your car. The cars computer will only talk to part numbers it recognizes. My first used replacement didnt' work out

kippk
07-14-2010, 08:20 AM
Hi, I just dealt with this on my ride. If your frt left is out your rear left is probably also out,they are powered by the same amp chip in the ASK unit. I took mine out and tested the speakers seperately through the connector that plugs into the back of the ask, that way I know if the speaker and wiring are o.k. An important note when replacing the ASK if you get a used one get the part number and check with the dealer if it will work in your car. The cars computer will only talk to part numbers it recognizes. My first used replacement didnt' work out

Thanks for the post! It is only the driver door speaker that is out. Although the passenger door behind the driver speaker rattles even at low volume, it still emits sound. Is the ASK unit attached to the RADIO/CD player unit? This is what they said they determined was the problem after installing a new AMP under warranty. I can order a new radio unit from a bmw parts recycler w/ warranty. My question.....is the ASK unit built into the Radio/CD unit?? Thanks in advance!!