PDA

View Full Version : 745 mObridge iPod noise issues

RTS777
07-08-2010, 07:54 PM
I have a 2004 BMW 745Li. Wanted a way to connect my ipod to the system. Found mObridge, and they in turn recommended European Auto Source (EAS) to install their product. Tom at EAS was great. Helpful, knowledgeable, and mObridge highly recommended him to work on my BMW.

The install went fine, but there is an issue with an intermittent noise that can be heard at mid to high levels. If there is a pause or lull in the music, you can hear what sounds like a digital signal noise in exactly 1 second increments. Neither mObridge nor Tom can figure out why the sound is there. Tom was awesome enough to try out 3 other mobridge units to see if that was the problem. Changed out the wire between the ipod and the mobridge too.

As this is all fiber optics, there should not be any interference. The sound is either coming from the car and going into the mobridge, or it's inherently in the mobridge build. I have tried to find any article or blogs where someone else may have experienced this same issue and have not found any yet. To duplicate this is rather simple: Play a song in the the ipod or iphone, click pause and put the volume on your stereo all the way up. You should hear the "Beeping" sound for lack of a better word.

But here's the strange part. When Tom put the dash back together again, and i was about to leave in resignation, i tested the system again, and the noise was no longer there. As i pulled the vehicle out of EAS's garage, the noise came back on again. I turned off the vehicle, and turned it back on again and on my long drive home realized the noise was gone again. It was missing for the entire hour and half drive.

A few hours later i went to the car, to see if the noise would come back on, and the noise was there again. Is it possible that things like the navigation, or blutooth could be interfering? Is the noise somehow being generated by the security system even when it's not activated?

Any ideas would be much appreciated. As i'm going to be installing a kick-ass sound system, i would hate to have this noise amplified too. Anyone with similar experiences or advice, i would love to hear from you.

RTS

DarkLord
07-08-2010, 09:27 PM
sorry i cant help , but did you get the unit that has bluetooth as well as ipod, is it like the sound voice control makes on your phone if you have an i-phone that is

RTS777
07-08-2010, 09:40 PM
No, the mObridge unit does not have bluetooth capabilities. But i did buy a separate bluetooth adapter made by motorolla. Have not yet tried pulling it out of the system to see if that's what's causing the interference.

Expo BMW
07-09-2010, 04:57 PM
I've had mine for almost 2 years. Works perfect. Does it make noise with the engine off? How is the battery on the iPod?

RTS777
07-09-2010, 08:49 PM
Hi.

Glad to see someone else here with mObridge. Yes it does make noise with or without engine, with key simply in aux. The battery on the ipod is usually either full or almost full, as the mObridge charges as it plays. I've tried several other iphones and ipods, with same results.

Could you do me a HUGE favor, and take your iphone/ipod to your car, put the cd changer to disc three, push the forward button twice to unlock your iphone/ipod for play through the unit instead of the idrive. Then play a song, click on pause on your iphone/ipod and record the sound at the maximum level from your front speakers. If you have upgraded to the latest version 4 firmware of the iphone/ipod, you will be able to multitask. So once you put the music on pause, click on your sound recorder and record what you hear from your front speakers, near the dash preferably. If everything is o.k, all i'll hear is a hiss with the volume at max. If it's like mine, you'll hear a background pulse of electronic noise.

Even if you don't have that noise, i'd like to compare how much static and hiss you're getting from your system versus mine. It seems to my ears that the static and background hiss is too loud too.

I would very much appreciate it if you have the time and patience to do this.

I am new to this site, so i just realized that the only way for me to upload the noise file was to embed it in a pdf file. I hope you all can open it. You'll most likely will have to turn up your headphones or speakers to hear what i'm referring to as background noise. Listen for it carefully. It's a sound that pushes forth every 1 second.

djben
07-23-2010, 11:09 PM
I am having the same problem. What you describe is similar to what happens to me. Just installed a brand new ABT2010 (bluetooth + ipod) in my 997 911 Turbo. Used the fiber optic loop coming out of my NAV unit (disables CD Changer) and got the mobridge MOST cables hooked up right at my head unit along with power tapped there too.

RTS777
07-24-2010, 12:28 AM
Who installed the mobridge for you? Did you do it or someone professional? Have you had anyone look at it for you? I wonder why we're having this issue. What can be the reason? I've noticed this much: The noise is not there when i first start the vehicle in the morning. About 10 minutes into the drive the noise comes on.

I have two theories.

1) After 10 minutes the mobridge unit heats up, and the malfunction begins.

2) the alternator kicks in after 10 minutes and hence the noise.

Not sure if it's true. Especially not sure if alternator noise is an issue with fiber optics involved.

djben
07-24-2010, 09:18 AM
Who installed the mobridge for you? Did you do it or someone professional? Have you had anyone look at it for you? I wonder why we're having this issue. What can be the reason? I've noticed this much: The noise is not there when i first start the vehicle in the morning. About 10 minutes into the drive the noise comes on.

I have two theories.

1) After 10 minutes the mobridge unit heats up, and the malfunction begins.

2) the alternator kicks in after 10 minutes and hence the noise.

Not sure if it's true. Especially not sure if alternator noise is an issue with fiber optics involved.

I installed mine on my own after reading about it online...

One thing I guess I may have missed is if I was really supposed to hook the extra blue wire up to anything. All the official instructions made no mention of it but I read it wasn't supposed to be used.

RTS777
07-24-2010, 11:17 AM
Are you going to disconnect the blue wire to see if that solves anything?

djben
07-24-2010, 11:32 AM
Are you going to disconnect the blue wire to see if that solves anything?

I meant I may have missed if it DID need to be hooked up. I read a few posts that said it didn't need to be used, so mine is just sitting there not connected to anything.

No mobridge instructions ever referenced a blue wire, and my unit also has it's own unique power input that isn't sitting next to the fiber optic lines (different than the instructions), so I either have a very old mobridge unit or a very new one, or I am crazy and illiterate. ;)

My issue happens even when the engine isn't running and happens right away. I'm thinking it should just be a simple ground issue. I've emailed mobridge asking them for a little guidance.

RTS777
07-24-2010, 12:27 PM
send them a copy of my post as well. i think you're right it maybe just a ground issue. please let me know what they tell you because i may have the same issues as you. also try using the blue wire that may work as well.

djben
07-26-2010, 11:52 AM
send them a copy of my post as well. i think you're right it maybe just a ground issue. please let me know what they tell you because i may have the same issues as you. also try using the blue wire that may work as well.

Can't get any real help from mobridge - they have a reseller-only sales/support model, so I have to check with autotoys.com now to see if they'll help.

I am going to redo my power taps, see if that helps, and if not, find a new power source.

RTS777
07-29-2010, 10:03 AM
were you able to resolve your issue? I am wondering if grounding the mobridge unit itself would help. Maybe somehow bolting it down to a metal piece of the car. A stereo installer i spoke with recommended doing that.

Expo BMW
07-30-2010, 09:07 AM
Have you gotten any more help from eas? I use it on AUX input. I hear noise when the volume is turned all the way up with no audio going in (engine on or off). No noise with music playing.

RTS777
07-30-2010, 09:50 AM
I went to them right after i install, and Tom said he tried 2 other units. One was dead, but the other worked. Since it takes 45 minutes for the car to go to sleep, i wasn't going to make him keep trying out units until he found one without noise. I still think it's either the mobridge unit, or a grounding issue.

I'm almost certain you're hearing noise, it's just that you're not hearing it while the music is playing over the noise.

Here's a test. Put the treble all the way up, put the base down, and fade your music to the front. Now play a piece of music that has pauses in it. As the music naturally pauses, you'll hear the noise behind the hiss. If all you're listening to is Guns & Roses, you won't hear it. Too much going on in the music. :)

By the way, if you're running an ipod, run it through the ipod connector, instead of the aux. I've compared the same sets of songs, one through ipod connector, and another through the aux, the ipod connector being digital sounds way better.

By the way, do you have bluetooth in your car? If so, was it factory or something you had to get aftermarket?

djben
08-01-2010, 05:49 PM
I tried connecting a wire from the mobridge unit itself (used one of the holes that is meant to have it screwed into something) to a ground and that didn't help.

I just re-checked the power taps to the PCM unit, and they seem to be OK. No change at all in the weird noise so far, it is very consistent.

Going to find a new power source to tap, but I have to find something 5-10amps that is always on.

Expo BMW
08-01-2010, 06:24 PM
The sound I hear on your file is a buzz that comes and goes at an interval. I don't have that noise. My car is an 02 so the systems have some differences. Do you hear any interference when you put your in dash CD player to the same test?

RTS777
08-01-2010, 07:31 PM
i never played with in dash cd player. i'll let you know after a try it out.

GJS
04-25-2012, 11:20 AM
RTS777, did you resolve your sound issue?

I just installed myself my mObridge A2010 last night and I hear the same noise you described. My mObridge unit have the latest firmware. It has the BMW connector (fiber optic wires, ground and power) and also a smaller connector for the bypass switch. This smaller connector has 4 wires: white and red, which are connected to the switch, and blue, black and also a extension of the red wire (that comes out from the small connector) that are alone, not connected to anything. The manual and install notes do not mention or show any picture or instruction of these wires.

I have a 550i with iDrive CCC with CD Changer. The mObridge unit is wrapped in plastic foam inside the CD changer metalic hack inside the glovebox. I will try to connect a wire from the unit case to this metalic hack to see if it is a grounding issue.