PDA

View Full Version : Has your FOB Key ever stop keeping track of your milage or stop working

htownprod
07-11-2010, 04:07 PM
I have a 2002 745I BMW and my FOB key does not read or keep track of the last time it came in contact with the car.... Has anyone out there ever had any problems with thier FOB key if so is it similar to my problem. If so I would like to hear your story and if the BMW dealership fixed the problem which one was it. I would liek to know this information is very important to me. Please help.........

Expo BMW
07-11-2010, 11:05 PM
my FOB key does not read or keep track of the last time it came in contact with the car

In what way? Need more detail.

htownprod
07-12-2010, 02:28 AM
it reads May 2008 as the last date of contact with the car... I had two in 2008 but lost one..... But the only one I do have I used all of 2009 and didnt know it was not reading my car info like milage etc...... I never had to take it to the dealership in 2009 because I dont drive but about 8 to 9 thousands miles a year and it never said or required Maintenance.... So someone told me it could be the DME or it could be the battery that has died in the key which is inclosed in the key... I know I am not the only one with a BMW that this has happened to..... Thank you

htownprod
07-12-2010, 02:50 AM
Also Expo .....to give you more info the Key last read has on it 67000 miles May of 2008... I had only one key and my BMW was stolen Dec 2009and I had 105000 on the car.... when the insurance company took my key to the BMW dealership they put it in the key reader and that is what they key read was May 2008 67000.... How is that... I used that same key for a year in 2009 so why didnt it have any info from 2009... Of course you know the insurance company dont want to pay because of the error... I know i am not the only BMW owner this has happened to... So please help if you have more info on this situation,,, Thank you.....

Expo BMW
07-12-2010, 05:59 PM
Any receipts with mileage over 67K after 5/08 should prove your point to the insurance company.

htownprod
07-12-2010, 06:33 PM
EXPOBMW .... I didnt think about that good call.... I had two visit in 2008 that was Jun and Aug of 2008... But I do have a question... I had two keys during that time and that is when I lost my other key around June July or Aug...... SO how will they know if that is the key I used for service and not the other key that I lost... To me is doesnt make a different because at least they do know I went two more times after the key I have now stop keeping information or reset itself to that date who knows what happened.... But I am glad you gave me that info because it is up to the insurance company to prove what key I used for the last two visits to the dealership. If the dealership cant prove through the key reader one way or the other then who is to say the key I had was not a malfunctioning key..... I still would like to know the real out come of how my key still don't have info for 2009 because that will help out other BMW owner with 2002 and up in the future... This would be a great story to tell and post for others to read and watch out for this kind of problem... I know the BMW is a great car (Because I went out and got another one without the insurance money) But like any car they do have a lot of problems and I have notice that BMWNA don't want to release a lot of that information due to it might hurt their company and their sells.... They should let the people know what problems these cars can have before people buy them.... Hey man you the best with information so if you come up with anything else let me know so I can keep a log and post it all at once when this whole mess with the insurance company is finished..... USAA have great rates but bad service.... 10 years of paying USAA and I make one claim and they are taking me through all this mess just not to pay out funds for a stolen car.... Well they are still taking my money for the other 4 cars I own and I see they don't have any problems contiuning to collect my payment... WHAT A GREAT INSURANCE COMPANY USAA IS >>>>

hotrod2448
07-12-2010, 07:25 PM
First, You should try to keep all of this in one thread. If you want people to keep seeing it just bump it. There is no need to have the same thread three times in the same forum.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=467647&highlight=
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=466322&highlight=

I'm guessing the obvious reason your insurance company is so concerned as to why your key isn't reading the right miles isn't to prove you put the miles on the car but, more because they are wondering if maybe, the key you "lost" is not actually lost and is actually what the "thieves" used to "steal" your car. I'm not saying that's what happened but, if I were the cutting you a check for a car that isn't typically easily stolen and your key appears not to have been used in years and the other key is lost I would absolutely be asking you some hard questions.

htownprod
07-12-2010, 11:03 PM
im new to this thread thing hotrod2448 so I put a few threads in because I didnt know what I was doing at first but I get your point I will take note to that... And no they havent cut me a check do to all the information you just mentioned.... That is what I am guessing but the only thing they are concerned about is the key reading May 2008... Now that is a good question for them to ask me but on the other hand I am a BMW owner and I know the key keep track of the car info and I know all BMW owners knows this information so in that case i must be really dumb to give them a key that has been sitting around for over a year as they say... My point is I only had one key so instead of saying the key was last used may 2008 why not ask the dealership could there have been a problem with the car or the key which I just found out that they never asked... They found a loop hole used it against me (which an insurance company will do) and now I have to gather info to prove I am right which as of today it is looking good for me as the DME went bad or the key stop keying track of the car info and went to default mode... SO thanks for the thread info I will do better to keep my next thread to only one input...... Thank you....

hotrod2448
07-13-2010, 05:24 AM
im new to this thread thing hotrod2448 so I put a few threads in because I didnt know what I was doing at first but I get your point I will take note to that... And no they havent cut me a check do to all the information you just mentioned.... That is what I am guessing but the only thing they are concerned about is the key reading May 2008... Now that is a good question for them to ask me but on the other hand I am a BMW owner and I know the key keep track of the car info and I know all BMW owners knows this information so in that case i must be really dumb to give them a key that has been sitting around for over a year as they say... My point is I only had one key so instead of saying the key was last used may 2008 why not ask the dealership could there have been a problem with the car or the key which I just found out that they never asked... They found a loop hole used it against me (which an insurance company will do) and now I have to gather info to prove I am right which as of today it is looking good for me as the DME went bad or the key stop keying track of the car info and went to default mode... SO thanks for the thread info I will do better to keep my next thread to only one input...... Thank you....

It just makes it easier to discuss if all the info is in one spot.

You don't have to tell me about insurance companies doing anything they can to screw you on a claim. I've been there with my wife getting t-boned a few years ago.

I would assume they go for the most logical explanation first or maybe they asked BMW first and the answer they gave them made it seem more likely that missing key was used to steal the car.

Either way good luck.

htownprod
07-13-2010, 01:49 PM
Yes in my case that is what took place.... and thank you for the good luck part because I am going to need it but i am positive that i will come out on top....