PDA

View Full Version : $1,800 Navigation or $1,800 in maps

beware_phog
11-27-2003, 06:19 PM
Do you all who have the Navigation like it? Are there things it has that you've grown to become really accustomed to? How is the information updated? Automatically sent to you?

Seems like you can buy a lot of maps for the cost...espcially if it is not kept up to date.

alee
11-27-2003, 06:25 PM
Maps don't talk. Maps can't reroute you around a traffic jam without missing a beat. Maps can't tell you what to do when you miss a turn without pulling over. Maps can't tell you where the closest restaurant is, and then safely guide you there.

The navigation system is worth every penny. I'm done with maps, period.

Plaz
11-27-2003, 06:34 PM
Maps don't talk. Maps can't reroute you around a traffic jam without missing a beat. Maps can't tell you what to do when you miss a turn without pulling over. Maps can't tell you where the closest restaurant is, and then safely guide you there.

The navigation system is worth every penny. I'm done with maps, period.

SupraRZ
11-27-2003, 06:48 PM
Depends on how often you use it... I pretty much know my way around here and I consider myself pretty good at directions compared to my friends. The only drawback is I use it 1-2 times a week, so i just got it to have :)

Yet, this navigation thing has made me miss plenty of turns because it lags sometimes.

BUT - one of the cool things about nav is the phonebook feature... I use that daily... instead of spending $10-20/mo on cell phone directory assistance I can use my nav :)

SergioK
11-27-2003, 10:46 PM
I wanted the indash CD capability so I went with a portable GPS unit. It gets me there and I hardly if ever refer to my paper maps. BTW, I spent less than $500 on my entire setup (Garmin eMap).

Betcour
11-28-2003, 04:58 AM
The NAV is indeed expensive. I use it only on long trips or holidays , which is not very often. When I need it however it is a LOT better than any map can ever be.

It's expensive, then again it's not that expensive compared to the price of the car itself.

LmtdSlip
11-28-2003, 06:24 AM
If it were my choice (and it's not) I would buy a portable unit like the Garmin Street Finder.

That way you can run it in any car you use. And it's waaaay less expensive.

ChadS
11-28-2003, 06:35 AM
I wanted the indash CD capability so I went with a portable GPS unit.

The nav now does have an in-dash CD as opposed to a tape. Changed for 2003. Although my sister just bought an '04 X5 with nav and it still has a cassette. You think they would have figured out how to put a CD behind the nav in the X5's by now. :tsk:

wmndriver
11-28-2003, 07:49 AM
I love my nav. I think my favoirte thing is the directory - not having to look up the address of stores/restaurants in the phonebook is very convenient.

nowonder
11-28-2003, 09:01 AM
I travel a lot of work, and I spend a lot of time going to client sites. To me, the nav system has been worth every penny. I especially like the hotel listings in the directory, It's been very handy.

--nw

Pinecone
11-28-2003, 02:18 PM
Navigation systems are GREAT.

BMWs nav system is a poor excuse for a navigation system. Very poor user interface.

Also with a built in nav, you are stuck with the hardware.

With something like a Garmin StreetPilot you have a better nav interface, for under $800. So you can upgrade the hardware several times (new unit under $300 if you sell old one) and have the latest hardware and software all the time.

Plaz
11-28-2003, 02:22 PM
I don't care if the BMW nav isn't the latest and greatest. It works well, and is integrated into the interior of the car beautifully. It also uses gyroscopic sensors, etc., to increase/maintain its accuracy where satellite triangulation is not possible.

I'd hate to have a stadalone unit scooting around on the passenger seat, or mounted with some cheezy cellphone bracket, wires everywhere, ripe for theft when parked. (I don't carry a man-bag to tote such things around in)

Just MHO.

SupraRZ
11-28-2003, 02:22 PM
The nav now does have an in-dash CD as opposed to a tape. Changed for 2003. Although my sister just bought an '04 X5 with nav and it still has a cassette. You think they would have figured out how to put a CD behind the nav in the X5's by now. :tsk:

Oh man that cassette thing really annoyed me. I had to purchase a CD changer for like $300. The first time I wanted to put the CD in I notice the freaken cassette tape. What really pissed me off, is that in my gf's 03 M3, her NAV plays CD's. I don't know who in the right mind uses cassettes these days.

Plaz
11-28-2003, 02:24 PM
Oh man that cassette thing really annoyed me. I had to purchase a CD changer for like $300. The first time I wanted to put the CD in I notice the freaken cassette tape. What really pissed me off, is that in my gf's 03 M3, her NAV plays CD's. I don't know who in the right mind uses cassettes these days.

I was pissed about this too, when ordering my '02. But now I'm glad I have the cassette, since it makes using my iPod in the car a much more straightforward proposition. The cassette adapter works great.

SergioK
11-28-2003, 02:38 PM
I don't know who in the right mind uses cassettes these days.

I agree! :thumbup: BMW must be asleep at the wheel. I don't anyone who still uses cassettes. I got rid of my cassettes back before the '90s!

SupraRZ
11-28-2003, 02:45 PM
I was pissed about this too, when ordering my '02. But now I'm glad I have the cassette, since it makes using my iPod in the car a much more straightforward proposition. The cassette adapter works great.

Kind of weird to drive with the fold up screen.. down? And wouldn't your fold up screen automatically retract after being open for a given amount of time?

Plaz
11-28-2003, 03:33 PM
Kind of weird to drive with the fold up screen.. down? And wouldn't your fold up screen automatically retract after being open for a given amount of time?

I don't drive with it down. The wire fits.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=713

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=714

beware_phog
11-28-2003, 05:26 PM
I wanted the indash CD capability so I went with a portable GPS unit. It gets me there and I hardly if ever refer to my paper maps. BTW, I spent less than $500 on my entire setup (Garmin eMap).

Yeah, that was my other option. Am pondering the ED and my biggest fear is getting lost in some country where I couldn't read a map if it was handed to me (and couldn't ask for directions). I take it you like the Garmin?

03BMW330
11-29-2003, 07:53 AM
I don't care if the BMW nav isn't the latest and greatest. It works well, and is integrated into the interior of the car beautifully. It also uses gyroscopic sensors, etc., to increase/maintain its accuracy where satellite triangulation is not possible.

I'd hate to have a stadalone unit scooting around on the passenger seat, or mounted with some cheezy cellphone bracket, wires everywhere, ripe for theft when parked. (I don't carry a man-bag to tote such things around in)

Just MHO.

:thumbup::thumbup:

cruztopless
11-29-2003, 12:48 PM
Well said Plaz.

What I really enjoy about having the nav system in my car is that it allows me the freedom to explore w/o stopping to look at a map. A quick glance allows me to find my way back. I'm also happy it doesn't have a touch screen. Sure, it may be easier to use (although I don't consider BMW's nav to be "difficult"), I would find it more irritating having to constantly deal with the fingerprints.

OTOH, a reliable voice recognition nav system would be nice.

beware_phog
11-29-2003, 02:07 PM

Just MHO.

How does the information get updated? Do you buy new DVDs? Part of the deal for X years?

cruztopless
11-29-2003, 02:31 PM
How does the information get updated? Do you buy new DVDs? Part of the deal for X years?

Well, I guess w/ the CD versions one got 1 free upgrade for their region. I'm hearing now that the DVD versions don't get the free upgrade. :( So ... you'll need to buy a new DVD if you wanted updated info (around $200).

SupraRZ
11-29-2003, 03:13 PM
Well, I guess w/ the CD versions one got 1 free upgrade for their region. I'm hearing now that the DVD versions don't get the free upgrade. :( So ... you'll need to buy a new DVD if you wanted updated info (around $200).

Next year I'll rent the DVD from u and burn it :)

SupraRZ
11-29-2003, 03:14 PM
I don't drive with it down. The wire fits.

Hey that's a very clean setup!

alee
11-29-2003, 03:21 PM
A fanfolded map allows you to have a perspective of distances, which you don't get in an electronic map.
With navigation, you don't care about relative distances, or perspective. You always know:

a. What road/street you're on
b. What road/street you're supposed to turn on
c. How far until the next turn
d. What time you arrive

All this information is dynamic and only relevant information is presented when you need it. I don't need to concern myself with map scales, measuring distances, translating the map into turn-by-turn directions, etc. I don't even need to look at the nav screen.

bten
11-29-2003, 03:58 PM
I was meeting someone in a restaurant in a Chicago suburb last night. It was not a big deal until I ran into a parade in the suburb. Lot's of blocked roads, and a rail road track to cross to get there from the other side. Virginia (my Nav. unit) helped me get around the mess and to the restaurant just in time. I think it is one of the best options that I purchased. The most important address btw, is "Home". Always can get out of downtown Chicago quickly.

Pinecone
11-29-2003, 06:42 PM
The Garmin 2650 integrats to speedo and reverse lights to give info without coverage. But the only places I don't get coverage is in tunnels.

As for rattling around the passenger seat, it goes on its own mount on the dash. When it is not there, there is a quite small mount in place.

When I want it out of sight, I just pull it from the mount and put it on the passenger floor. OUt of sight, and can even leave it on. And it seems to track fine down there. :)

If you want to pay an extra $1000 for in dash, great. But there are other options, that work well.

Another MAJOR benefit of a prtable. TYou can take it with you in other cars. Either when traveling with a friend or when renting a car in another place. Try THAT with your built in. :) I have taken one Garmin or the other on probably close to a dozen trips and used it in other cars. Great for finding resturants, your hotel, and other things.

Pinecone
11-29-2003, 06:45 PM
With navigation, you don't care about relative distances, or perspective. You always know:

a. What road/street you're on
b. What road/street you're supposed to turn on
c. How far until the next turn
d. What time you arrive

All this information is dynamic and only relevant information is presented when you need it. I don't need to concern myself with map scales, measuring distances, translating the map into turn-by-turn directions, etc. I don't even need to look at the nav screen.

That perspective is a quick and dirty how long will it take me.

It is also a better way to see other routes. That is very hard to do with the small screen.

It also gives youa better overview of the area.

In cars, I am lazy and don't even always carry maps. But I have also flown with GPS navigation, and it si great. But I still carry paper charts for backup. It is hard to stop and ask directions while flying. :)

alee
11-29-2003, 06:52 PM
It is also a better way to see other routes. That is very hard to do with the small screen.
The point I'm making is there is no "better" route when using the navigation. Just follow the voice. If you're stuck, New Route will find a way around it.

labimmer
11-30-2003, 10:58 PM
The stupid part about (factory) navigation systems, is that, over time, they've stayed the same price or have gotten more expensive.

It's kind of counter the way technology has worked in other fields. I wouldn't have problem buying a nav system, but $1800 for one? This stuff is supposed to turn into a commodity after time...

Pinecone
12-01-2003, 04:43 AM
Absolutely.

Also you are stuck with that hardware. Unless you want to trade cars.

ObD
12-01-2003, 05:55 PM
http://www.mapquest.com/

Save $1800 :D

alee
12-01-2003, 05:57 PM
... assuming you have a laptop and a wireless Internet connection to save you when your planned route suddenly has a detour thrown into it. :D