PDA

View Full Version : Overheating 08 750 Li

RLandis
07-12-2010, 02:16 PM
I bought this '08 750 2 weeks ago, after checking the svc record, and seeing only normal stuff. Drove it on a 2000 mile trip last week, no events.

Today, I get in the car, drive about 5 miles, and the A/C stops blowing cold....then I get a message on the screen: ENGINE OVERHEATING....DRIVE MODERATELY. I took it to BMW, and when we restarted the car, the message read ENGINE OVERHEATING....DO NOT DRIVE.

I had to leave it there, and they can't get a tech on it until Wed.

Has anyone had these symptoms?

I'm supposed to drive from Nashville to CA on Aug 1. I hope I don't run into these kind of problems in the middle of nowhere.

patshah
07-12-2010, 05:05 PM
Welcome to the E65/66 club.... Good thing your still under warranty....

Expo BMW
07-12-2010, 06:02 PM
It's probably a bad thermostat or temp sensor. Keep us updated.

RLandis
07-12-2010, 06:05 PM
I'd consider myself lucky if that's all it is!!!!

Expo BMW
07-12-2010, 06:14 PM
What else could it be? Low coolant level? (!!!!)

BobSC
07-12-2010, 07:13 PM

+1 Most likely one of those.

USALEXUSBMW750
07-12-2010, 09:37 PM
Thermostat stuck,strange for such young car, how many miles you have?

Seven11
07-12-2010, 10:22 PM
keep us updated

RLandis
07-12-2010, 11:25 PM
Thermostat stuck,strange for such young car, how many miles you have?

24k.

The service writer was very brief with me (they were very crowded & busy). When I asked him what he thought it could be his response was that it could be several things. He said he'd seen them overheat if the blower motor went out. Needless to say, I'm anxious for the diagnosis. I'm assuming the overheating, and the fact that the A/C stopped blowing cold air are related, as they happened at the exact same time.

haz3
07-13-2010, 01:08 AM
Hey Guys, Been busy lately, finally had a chance to chime in here. I consider me the D.Trump of BMW Overheating, having owned four 7 series before my last 745i Sale. 2 things I see here on this 750, bad thermo or sensor I'm thinking. My thermo's use to fail after few weeks of dealer installs, sometimes thats how it is. The coolant system I feel is the most sensitive part of this vehicle, hopefully it will be fixed pretty quick with a good tech. Under warranty too thats good, may want to get your service guy an in and out burger certificate or something if you want your 7 back quick though.

USALEXUSBMW750
07-13-2010, 08:35 AM
Hey Guys, Been busy lately, finally had a chance to chime in here. I consider me the D.Trump of BMW Overheating, having owned four 7 series before my last 745i Sale. 2 things I see here on this 750, bad thermo or sensor I'm thinking. My thermo's use to fail after few weeks of dealer installs, sometimes thats how it is. The coolant system I feel is the most sensitive part of this vehicle, hopefully it will be fixed pretty quick with a good tech. Under warranty too thats good, may want to get your service guy an in and out burger certificate or something if you want your 7 back quick though.

I thought electronic system is more sensitive in this cars:dunno:

irokdastar383
07-13-2010, 10:28 AM
the whole damn car is sensitive. its like a chick with a period that never ends!

RLandis
07-13-2010, 11:18 AM
It's just after noon here in Nashville. Surprisingly, the service dept got to my car today, after telling me their first opening was tomorrow. I just got called that the car is ready to be picked up, and the service included replacing the drivers door handle (comfort access), so whatever caused the overheating, and A/C failure didn't take very long to fix. I'll update as to what caused the failure when I see the paper work.

Slightly nervous about my 6000 mile upcoming trip, as these cars seem to be fidgety.

BlackBerryCubed
07-13-2010, 11:44 AM
what loaner have they provided you to drive around in the mean time?

E92-Lighting
07-13-2010, 04:18 PM
still a new car too, pretty early for these symptoms to be occurring already

haz3
07-13-2010, 06:37 PM
the whole damn car is sensitive. its like a chick with a period that never ends!

Priceless! :rofl: And how the heck the comfort access break at the same time, lol. Love the 7's, always a new story. Landis u may want need to drive it like u mean it on your trip, otherwise it may just want to go to sleep on u, lol.

RLandis
07-13-2010, 08:03 PM
The blower motor shorted out. That's the 3rd one they fixed this week, and have done more in the past. They've had no problems with the replacement motors.

There was no loaner. I didn't buy the car from them, and they have a shuttle that took me home, and picked me up when the car was ready.

I was less interested in the comments from the Service Writer than the tech who worked on the car. He said the fix was a breeze, and took very little time.

Slick44
07-31-2011, 03:58 PM
was this ultimately covered under cpo?

JimJai@HK
07-31-2011, 07:07 PM

Sounds like it.....

pass427
08-01-2011, 11:44 AM

I think that should have been covered under his original manufacturer warranty since he said it was an 08 with 24k and not CPO. I wonder though if that's a covered CPO part.

jkelly12
08-01-2011, 06:57 PM
how does a blower motor make a car overheat?? never heard of that. are sure thats what the receipt said they replaced?? makes no sense

FrankM82d
06-11-2014, 08:48 AM
:confused: My Beem is at the dealership with the exact same problem.... the A/C started blowing hot air and the car overheated... They did find that there was a problem with the final stage resistor on the blower motor BUT would this cause the engine to overheat? Did this take care of your overheating issue?????:dunno: The blower motor shorted out. That's the 3rd one they fixed this week, and have done more in the past. They've had no problems with the replacement motors.

There was no loaner. I didn't buy the car from them, and they have a shuttle that took me home, and picked me up when the car was ready.

I was less interested in the comments from the Service Writer than the tech who worked on the car. He said the fix was a breeze, and took very little time.

csmeance
06-11-2014, 10:55 AM
:confused: My Beem is at the dealership with the exact same problem.... the A/C started blowing hot air and the car overheated... They did find that there was a problem with the final stage resistor on the blower motor BUT would this cause the engine to overheat? Did this take care of your overheating issue?????:dunno:

the car will cut off the A/C when it's overheating to reduce the load on the engine. It's not the A/C causing the issue, it's just a symptom. You can also turn on the heating system to help out the overloaded engine cooling system sometimes if you need to keep on driving but the cabin will be very hot!!!

Overheating can happen on these cars for a variety of reasons:
1. Coolant leak caused low coolant
2. Bad Thermostat
3. Bad/Failing Waterpump

Any shop should be able to figure it out with a simple pressure test and all the other jazz. Good Luck!

Monaco&Barbera
06-11-2014, 03:27 PM
I had this happen last summer mine was due to the Fan going out... as a result my coolant reservoir burst. They fixed the coolant reservoir only and told me the car was ready to get picked up. I picked it up and 2 miles from the dealer car overheated and had to have it towed back... Then they finally fixed the fan thankfully. Was a horrible experience in 110 degree vegas heat.

FrankM82d
06-12-2014, 10:23 AM
I had the coolant system flushed in March as suggested by my SA to prevent these issues :confused: Since the car overheated, the coolant reservoir cracked therefore it has been replaced. But I don't get the warm fuzzy as to the cause of the overheating. My SA says everything checks out as operational. My gut feeling tells me that it may be the cooling fan or the cooling fan temperature switch. I asked about the thermostat ($350) but they say it tested out good...:thumbup: I'm hesitant to go pick up the car just to have it towed back in.:mad:

Expo BMW
06-12-2014, 07:01 PM
Just a thought and I would have to go out and check to see if this is the case for our E65/E66s but on most cars if you turn on the AC the radiator fan turns on automatically to keep the compressor cool.

FrankM82d
06-16-2014, 11:03 AM
:(So I picked up the car on Friday after having a telephonic meeting with my Service Advisor, the Service Manager and the Service Technician. They said everything was working fine with the exception of the Final Stage Resistor on the A/C blower (on order)... but that has nothing to do with the overheating issue. They still suggested I have the A/C serviced, tested and recharged.... so I complied and they went ahead and took care of this for another Benjamin. So I drove the car home and parked it... Next day I drove it about 15 -20 miles with no issues... but the car had my attention :eek: later that day I drove the car again for a short distance and parked it for about 1 hour. I left to head home but stopped in to fill up the tank and there it happened again... the car overheated :mad: I waited for about 20 minutes and then drove home for 2 miles and it again gave me the overheating signal as I arrived home. I knew it! Back to square one!:tsk:

I just ordered the fan temperature switch... Looking for a replacement auxilary fan at a reasonable price... any suggestions? I am more inclined to think the problem may be one of the 2 fan resistors... they must heat up and then the resistor fails to turn on the fan... Open to suggestions...