PDA

View Full Version : Help w/tire selection

iR3K
07-13-2010, 08:29 AM
michelin pilots primacy tires are the standard tires but them hoes cost 450/each

while Sumi HTR Z III are 238 each...

does anyone know anything about these Sumi HTR Z III tires or any other good choice that wont break the bank?

JDAGator
07-13-2010, 11:50 AM
I have used the Sumos and had a terrible experience. They didn't handle as well and they wore out in about 1/2 the time of the Pirelli's. I have been most satisfied with the Pirelli P Zero Rossi. There is a new Pirelli model that I will try when these wear out. They supposedly have a much higher longevity rating than the P Zero Rossi. I have been averaging 3 pairs of rear tires for every 1 pair of fronts? I don't know if anyone else has the same experience but it has changed my buying habits. I actually buy the second and the third pair of rear tires used (on Ebay) and then replace all four tires once every three times. Hey, Works for me.

csmeance
07-13-2010, 12:02 PM
I have the Continental DW's and LOVE them, much better than the POS Michelin Pilot Sport Plus A/S (I got 12K out of them when they are warrantied for 45K). The first 500 miles won't be that great with them, but after that they are amazing! Grip well and have some great traction in the rain, esp with the torque from the V12.

If you want something cheaper, the Kuhmo's are pretty good for the price, I got about 15K from the rears and would have gotten 18 from the front.

tight_white745
07-13-2010, 12:13 PM
I have the sumo's and I can't complain at all no problems and as far as the wear i dont know i just got them a few months ago also my brother got the hankook ventus and they are nice as well u can't rotate these tires so get what's the best price for you like the Guy above stated you will go thru rear tires faster so do you just my thoughts

Slick44
07-13-2010, 12:25 PM
I have had pirrellis on my 750 e65 and michelins on my f01.. i cant speak much for the f01 as i have just started using it when i bought the car last month. i can tell you that i like the pirrellis alot..

the pirrellis have about 10k on them and look like they are brand new. most of my driving is high way miles about 90 miles a day and almost 0 city or local miles..

DrewT55
07-13-2010, 02:52 PM
I had the Sumi HTR Z III on a Dinan 5. They started out great but after about 15,000 miles got loud so I changed them at about 21,000 miles.
I have been through a lot of tires on a lot of cars. I have just found that Michelin is the most consistant.
A tire that I am very impressed with that I put on a Porsche 911 is the Dunlop Direzz Sport Z1 Star Spec. I think they only go up to 18. They are not expensive, handle great, look good and I have had them through 3 drivers educations and can see little wear on them.

iR3K
07-13-2010, 03:12 PM
thanks... im going to look at those Pirelli P Zero Rossi & Continental DW's as well...

its funny how the rear tires are worn but the front tires are in pretty good shape, ill probably still buy a set of 4 just to atempt to keep an eye on the wear and tear

t_clealy
07-13-2010, 03:23 PM
thanks... im going to look at those Pirelli P Zero Rossi & Continental DW's as well...

its funny how the rear tires are worn but the front tires are in pretty good shape, ill probably still buy a set of 4 just to atempt to keep an eye on the wear and tear

I didn't see how your rear tires worn out. One thing for sure if they're worn out unevenly due to spinning/squealing/squeaking, it could cost you a fortune. But in this case may not be your case. Because you mentioned not to break your bank. If that's the case, then I don't don't think it's funny to see your rear tires worn out unevenly. It could be due to misalignment or even wheel bearings etc...I'd be looking into alignment if I were you.

I am thinking of putting a set of Kumho Ecsta ASX on my new 22" It's going to be 255/30/22 fronts and 285/25/22 rears.

If anyone sees a potential problem in this kind of tires or wheel, please chime in.

Thanks.

iR3K
07-13-2010, 03:46 PM
yeah, i got an alignment... today the rear tires were awful & completely out of whack

im just use to the prices for putting tires on my truck... i couldnt believe how much tires are for this bimmer

tight_white745
07-13-2010, 03:56 PM
I have had pirrellis on my 750 e65 and michelins on my f01.. i cant speak much for the f01 as i have just started using it when i bought the car last month. i can tell you that i like the pirrellis alot..

the pirrellis have about 10k on them and look like they are brand new. most of my driving is high way miles about 90 miles a day and almost 0 city or local miles..
I might be late haven't been on here in a while... congrats on the f01 beautiful car what color combo did you get?

7_up
07-13-2010, 06:13 PM
I prefer Falken 452's or Kuhmo ASX , some tires are too soft and wear very irregular no matter on balancing or alignment. But once you start staggering it creates a problem of a different animal so be careful on your choices. If you choose staggering i like 275 on rear and 245/255 on front.

Slick44
07-14-2010, 10:50 AM
I might be late haven't been on here in a while... congrats on the f01 beautiful car what color combo did you get?

I got it white on black just like my e65.. I decided not to trade in my e65, my father was in the market looking for a new car and i had just worked out all the kinks on my e65 so he ended up taking over for that car.

iR3K
07-14-2010, 01:12 PM
I prefer Falken 452's or Kuhmo ASX , some tires are too soft and wear very irregular no matter on balancing or alignment. But once you start staggering it creates a problem of a different animal so be careful on your choices. If you choose staggering i like 275 on rear and 245/255 on front.

im going w/ the Sumi HTR Z III... i have 275 on the rear and 245 on the front

so with this choice brings me to another question...

do i need all season tires if i hardly ever have to worry about snow? it never really snows down here in alabama and when it does in doesnt stick to the road

tight_white745
07-14-2010, 01:28 PM
I got it white on black just like my e65.. I decided not to trade in my e65, my father was in the market looking for a new car and i had just worked out all the kinks on my e65 so he ended up taking over for that car.
Sounds sick man that's the best combo congrats

im going w/ the Sumi HTR Z III... i have 275 on the rear and 245 on the front

so with this choice brings me to another question...

do i need all season tires if i hardly ever have to worry about snow? it never really snows down here in alabama and when it does in doesnt stick to the road
I don't think you will be disappointed wih your decision you saved a gang of money and their good on the road but thats just my opinion..and sorry I don't know anything about snow but I can tell you how they perform in the heat and humidity wonderful:thumbup: