PDA

View Full Version : Car & Driver poor X3 review

Aaron325iT
11-28-2003, 11:09 AM
Did anyone read the Jan 04 issue of C/D?

I just got mine, and in it they review both the E60 and the X3...but i mainly wanted to blab about the X3

Very mediocre seems to be the general impression...

Interior materials were cheap, they said, but acceptable in light of its mission to be a step down from the X5 (!!!)

Their biggest complaint seemed to be that its good on-road performance came at the expense of a rock-hard ride. "feels like suspension welded to frame" was one of their most damning impressions. They said non-SP versions were little better in terms of suppleness...what is BMW doing??? My SP E46 Touring certainly doesn't feel rock-hard, but at the same time handling is excellent....

The best bit (for me) is that they started off the review by praising the E46 Touring (woohoo), and kicking the X3, and ended the review by suggesting BMW put xDrive and the 3.0L engine into the US/Canadian E46 Touring (i'd want some of that), or perhaps E90??. Of course, that's not going to happen....

Another good bit from the piece was that they felt that the X3 was way better on paper than in reality. One intersting sidenote, the X3 has more cargo room than the X5. Still, i'd take a Touring anyday...

Just wanted to share some impressions of a well-written article.

ff
11-28-2003, 12:10 PM
Their biggest complaint seemed to be that its good on-road performance came at the expense of a rock-hard ride. "feels like suspension welded to frame" was one of their most damning impressions. They said non-SP versions were little better in terms of suppleness...what is BMW doing??? My SP E46 Touring certainly doesn't feel rock-hard, but at the same time handling is excellent....

Pretty soon you guys will all have your way. Buick suspensions for everyone! woo-hoo!!

Nick325xiT 5spd
11-28-2003, 12:26 PM
Pretty soon you guys will all have your way. Buick suspensions for everyone! woo-hoo!!
Seriously... I've always wanted to transplant an X suspension into my mega-soft Touring.

EdCT
11-28-2003, 01:21 PM
Did anyone read the Jan 04 issue of C/D?

Very mediocre seems to be the general impression...

And their impression of the new 5 wasn't much better. This should be a warning to the powers that be at BMW, but germans are slow to react so I doubt we'll see a "turnaround" till after these products have run their course (or have failed) in the market place.

I'm dreading what I fear is a less driver-oriented interior on the upcoming 3 series and more of that "active control" nonsense.

C&D wondered if bmw is going off its "mission", I wonder, too.

Ed

pdz
11-28-2003, 02:26 PM
the problem is that the new 5, as long as it sells well, will compound the inertia moving forward with electronic crap in luxury cars.

the second is, one has to know that the X3, underwhelming as it is by current BMW standards for interior quality as well as amenities and/or build quality, will sell like crazy.

the 3 series wagon, and they DO say this in the article, with a 3.0litre engine and xDrive is a better answer, but in today's United States, the X3 will sell really well where the 3 series touring sales were tepid.

*in summary: both selling well will likely cause BMW to not change anything and continue its mission to go off-mission.

xspeedy
11-28-2003, 02:30 PM
The review from "CAR" magazine is pretty consistent as well. The overall impression was so-so, with complaints of the "choppy" SP suspension, and the very "lacklustre" interior. The cabin plastics were described as "low rent".

From an enthusiast point of view, I can't understand why car companies would degrade their products. But you know, this worked out for Honda. The build quality of many of their cars has been sliding downhill, but sales are at record highs.

Lomag
11-28-2003, 04:06 PM
Did they acctually road test the E60 or just provide another useless review? My copy of C&D hasn't arrived yet and i'm anxiously awaiting U.S. mags to roadtest the 545.

Aaron325iT
11-28-2003, 04:26 PM
Did they acctually road test the E60 or just provide another useless review? My copy of C&D hasn't arrived yet and i'm anxiously awaiting U.S. mags to roadtest the 545.

The E60 review was a full road test of the 530i 6 speed manaul...no 545i impressions unfortunately. They said the Active Steering felt very strange, and that BMW is now really overdoing the gizmos, which are getting in the way of the driving experience. Another interesting point in the E60 article was that they said the E60 felt almost like a Mercedes. Now if that isn't a sign something's f*cked up, I don't know what is. They loved the engine of course....then implied part of the reason they loved it was it was it was carried forward from the old car...

Anyway, the comments about sales driving BMW's current philosophy is of course correct. However, C/D said that the only "real" BMWs left are the E46 3 and the E53 X5, and that we should enjoy them while we can.

Oh and the 3 series made C/D's Ten Best list again...I'm going to enjoy the hell out of my E46, cause when replacement time comes round (2006 or 7) I doubt BMW is going to be selling anything that I'll want....

For now, a 330xi 6-speed manual with xDrive would be pretty sweet. As would a 330xd. Awww yeaahhh

BlackChrome
11-28-2003, 07:29 PM
That should tell BMW something because generally C&D loves BMWs! Last month, they picked the LS430 over the 745 but just a few years ago, the aging e38 740 beat all the newer cars from that class!

I just think BMW is going the wrong direction. We'll see how the media likes the 645...

racerdave
11-28-2003, 07:53 PM
The only way BMW will "get it" is if nobody buys the new cars. THey they will see the error of their ways by straying from their successful formula.

If the new cars break sales records, then that's all that will matter to BMW and they will be deemed a success.

Bangle and his cronies will be right, and enthusiast drivers who disagree with their philosophy will be wrong.

And if that happens, then it will be a sad day indeed, as BMW will be fundamentally no different from all of the other car makers. BMW's focus on the driver's experience is what makes them distinct. If they lose that, then it's all over.

Could be just what Infiniti ordered... :dunno: