PDA

View Full Version : Smoking 740i when idling

Claw
07-13-2010, 08:39 AM
Hi everybody, just join the forum. I recently purchased a E65 740i 2005 and sometimes when I am sitting in traffic the car starts smoking. It doesn't do this all the time and only when idling. I had a full service done but it still does it now and again. I was reading through the forum and I was wondering if it was the CCV(oil seperator), but it only does it now and again and when I pull away it seems to stop, then it could be a day or two before it does it again. Also the engine seems to be a little rough when idling. Please can anyone help as it always seems to happen when I am picking someone up. Very embarrasing, smells of burnt oil. Any help will be much appreciated.

Keif
07-13-2010, 02:07 PM
First thing I'd look to would indeed be the CCVs, as they not only help separate the oil from the crankcase air, but also do a little in regulating vacuum pressure in the intake manifold, so a tear in one could make you run a little rough near idle.

sims1dh
07-13-2010, 06:27 PM
I had the same issue and ccvs fixed the issue.

Claw
07-14-2010, 02:30 AM
Thanks everyone for your advice. I will change the CCV and let you know how I got along. Have to wait until weekend when not at work.

Claw
07-26-2010, 02:12 AM
Stealership says they don't know what part I am asking about. Can anybody give me more details of the part that I need and its location.

mccabema
07-27-2010, 04:29 PM
Sims1dh-Can you confirm you replaced Part #13:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=GL42&mospid=47773&btnr=11_3258&hg=11&fg=15

AFAIK-This is a problem still not resolved on this forum.

Many reports of the same thing and many people looking for a solution.

So far, suggestions have been to replace the pressure regulating valves (done this-no fix), and to check the vanos sensor at the rear of your engine (no-fix).

Some have stated unplugging the vanos sensor has solved their problem, but there is nothing definite in this at all. To be honest, I think those that reported unplugging the sensor fixing the issue, found out later it didn't.

Last I checked, the finger was being pointed at valve stem oil seals.

Expensive to fix.

My guess is that many who try and tackle the problem, end up giving in and selling up, or just putting up.

I too suffer this issue and know how embarrassing it can be!

Anyone got an update/definite fix?

For what its worth, if I'm in stop start traffic-I click her into neutral and keep the revs up a bit. This seems to prevent me disappearing like a genie from a bottle !!

m50b25
07-28-2010, 01:40 PM
Hi everybody, just join the forum. I recently purchased a E65 740i 2005 and sometimes when I am sitting in traffic the car starts smoking. It doesn't do this all the time and only when idling. I had a full service done but it still does it now and again. I was reading through the forum and I was wondering if it was the CCV(oil seperator), but it only does it now and again and when I pull away it seems to stop, then it could be a day or two before it does it again. Also the engine seems to be a little rough when idling. Please can anyone help as it always seems to happen when I am picking someone up. Very embarrasing, smells of burnt oil. Any help will be much appreciated.

Good luck, dude:))
CCV would not help- waste of money:)))

Valve steam caps are bad.....:((((

very expensive to repace...

find my post here, it explains everything in details

Claw
08-01-2010, 01:58 AM
Yes it was part 13 I replaced on both rocker covers. Does not fix the problem although they were split both sides.

Claw
08-22-2010, 01:51 AM
Looking like its the valve stem seals, doing a litre of oil every 500 miles. Asked alot of garages about repairing all of them say the don't have cam locking tools so can't do the job