PDA

View Full Version : Where do i get radio codes if radio disconnected?

SoonerE39
11-28-2003, 12:47 PM
I am having a handsfree phone kit installed next week and the radio will be disconnected in the process. I think I will need some kind of code to reactivate the radio but I had heard that the dealer tends to charge you for this information. Does anyone here know where I can find the code to reactivate it? (1999 528i with DSP radio)

SARAFIL
11-28-2003, 02:11 PM
I am having a handsfree phone kit installed next week and the radio will be disconnected in the process. I think I will need some kind of code to reactivate the radio but I had heard that the dealer tends to charge you for this information. Does anyone here know where I can find the code to reactivate it? (1999 528i with DSP radio)

BMW eliminated the code starting with the E38, E39, E46, E53, etc. (and even the end of Z3 production).

SoonerE39
11-28-2003, 02:16 PM
Thanks. Thats one less thing I need to worry about

SARAFIL
11-28-2003, 02:19 PM
Thanks. Thats one less thing I need to worry about

Yep. Your radio is anti-theft by design (it'll only fit in an E39 or E53), so the odds of someone stealing it are low.

BillP
11-29-2003, 10:03 PM
Yep. Your radio is anti-theft by design (it'll only fit in an E39 or E53), so the odds of someone stealing it are low.

I knew BMW put POS stereos in our cars for a reason. "Anti-theft". Yeah, that's it. Who in their right mind would want to take it?

;)

Bill

Kaz
11-29-2003, 10:15 PM
Now, how DO you get a code if you lost it? Is it possible to unlock a radio if you don't have the VIN from where it came? I have a friend who can get an old E30 radio for his E30M3 but there is no info on where it came from.

Pinecone
11-30-2003, 05:56 AM
The dealer can get it for you, if you take in the radio (serial number) and give them reasonable proof that you legally own it.

bluer1
11-30-2003, 08:30 AM
The dealer can get it for you, if you take in the radio (serial number) and give them reasonable proof that you legally own it.

It's in DIS - there's a lookup function.

SARAFIL
11-30-2003, 11:38 AM
It's in DIS - there's a lookup function.

Entering the Serial Number and Brand of the radio will give you the code from BMW DCS. Takes less than 5 minutes (including time to pull the radio out and get the serial number if it is an older radio that won't give you the serial number by holding down the menu button when you turn the radio on). No need to use anything more complex.