PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket audio build up

Marcobrown1619
07-14-2010, 10:05 AM
Hey Everyone

I've got a 745Li that I am bypassing the entire L7 audio system. The system is not what i want and i don't want to invest 1000 bucks just to put aftermarket amps into it. My idea is to first remove the ASK unit. Then fabricate the trim to fit a din size that will allow any aftermarket radio t0 fit. I'm sure the trim won't be strong enough to hold the weight of a head unit, so i need some of your ideas on supporting that weight. this part should be fairly simple. I'd like to cover the trim in an exact match of wood grain as the rest of the car but i have no clue where to go with that idea. I'll have to find an ignition and a 12v constant along with a ground. Any suggestions on which wires can supply me with what i need. The rest is just a matter of re wiring the speakers in the car to my new amps. so with that said, can any one give me some links to builds similar to what i'm about to take on. Thanks for any help.

Keif
07-14-2010, 10:19 AM
What is the production date of your car (year / month)? Do you already have wiring diagrams?

Marcobrown1619
07-14-2010, 10:31 AM
Its the 745li 2003 Nov. and i dont have the wiring diagram. I figured all i need to do is determine which of the wires that plug into the ASK are a 12v constant and ignition and simply tap in. and i would then have my power source. Am i on the right road?

patshah
07-14-2010, 01:16 PM
Good Luck with this and I am very interested in seeing your progress. Please post pics as you progress with this mod.

Marcobrown1619
07-14-2010, 02:20 PM
will do

csmooth79
07-14-2010, 03:18 PM
Some questions ...

Are you gonna do without the other items on the Most Bus (i.e. navigation, screen, cd changer, etc...)
You will have to forfeit also all other vehicle sounds and dings (i.e. key chime, parking distance sensors, etc...)
Since the 2 main sources of the MOST BUS fiber loop are the ASK unit (CD Player) and Nav Screen and they do integrate with climate, have you attempted to disconnect your ask and drive around and see how the vehicle responds (warning lights, funny operatiion)????
I think the best option right now for these vehicles is to purchase the mobridge connector and build a system based on what it pulls out, if you are serious about audio then you could get the appropriate processors and recreate the logic 7 system and utilize the cd changer and disc player as a source system.

Let me know what you think as I was going to do a major overhaul on my vehicle if I had to keep it, I had 20k+ in parts and labor invested in my vehicle and still couldnt get it right so it had to go

Marcobrown1619
07-14-2010, 03:53 PM
20 k? in parts?! Good point with the ASK unit. Ive disconnected the cd changer and the l7 amp and drove it around and i had no navigation climate etc., Im thinking of disassembling the ASk from it mounting hardware and simply tucking it away somewhere behind the dash to prevent a break in MOST BUS fiber loop. I dont care for all the vehicle sounds and dings (i.e. key chime, parking distance sensors, etc. I'm working with a budget and the mobridge puts me way over. i really want to create a center channel too, that seems a little tricky.

Marcobrown1619
07-14-2010, 04:00 PM
I havn't taken the door panels off yet, and im wondering how much work will it take to mod some 5-1/4's to fit in. anyone done this yet?

1bad540
07-14-2010, 04:33 PM
Budget and a 7 dont mix, get a clean sweep by Jl and add some aftermarket amps and speakers, youll be way ahead of the game.plus sounds like what you want to do will kill alot of the cars features and resale value too.

kobac
07-15-2010, 12:12 PM
Knowing 7er i think that the dash will light like christmas tree,with all those service lights messages and fault codes,but i wish you good luck.:thumbup:

patshah
07-15-2010, 03:38 PM
budget and a 7 dont mix, get a clean sweep by jl and add some aftermarket amps and speakers, youll be way ahead of the game.plus sounds like what you want to do will kill alot of the cars features and resale value too.

+1

MaCaY
07-17-2010, 03:01 PM
Good luck. That's all what I can tell you.
You talking ab doing audio buid up in one of the most advance cars(electronic wise). It won't be so easy as u think.

Keif
07-18-2010, 10:51 PM
20 k? in parts?! Good point with the ASK unit. Ive disconnected the cd changer and the l7 amp and drove it around and i had no navigation climate etc., Im thinking of disassembling the ASk from it mounting hardware and simply tucking it away somewhere behind the dash to prevent a break in MOST BUS fiber loop. I dont care for all the vehicle sounds and dings (i.e. key chime, parking distance sensors, etc. I'm working with a budget and the mobridge puts me way over. i really want to create a center channel too, that seems a little tricky.

You could get a few MOST bus jumpers and bypass the ASK and Logic 7 amp entirely since you are fine with not hearing warnings, dings, etc. That would at least bring the MOST bus ring alive again.