PDA

View Full Version : And the current issue of Bimmer slams the Z4's SMG calling it...

TD
11-28-2003, 09:57 PM
The "Slower than Manual Gearbox"

They complain of painfully slow shifts and counterintuitive controls.

Pretty harsh article overall.

SpaceMonkey
11-28-2003, 10:48 PM
I test drove a Z4 with SMG the other day. I didn't care for the system at all. Even after gettting used to it, I was longing for a third pedal. No surprise really.

Now granted, I have not driven an M3 with SMG II. And this was a semi-short test drive which took me a while to get used to the SMG. And the paddles on the Z4 suck, IMO (both paddles both upshift and downshift ... you press in from the back to upshift and in from the front to downshift). The rev-matching was neat but slow. And with the paddles, you can't really shift while turning (not that one really should, but still :p ). And I've never owned a car with only two pedals.

But SMG = :thumbdwn:

Kaz
11-28-2003, 11:27 PM
I haven't driven a Z4SMG with the new 08/03(?) programming, but I've reviewed the system here in the past, and the conclusion was that it needs work.

Bimmer ese
11-29-2003, 12:36 AM
I've been disappointed with their magazine lately. Don't get me wrong, they have some good articles from time to time, but lately? Hell, 2/3 of the magazine are advertisements anyway. :confused:

HW
11-29-2003, 01:59 AM
never driven an smg but i'd imagine that you'll lose a lot of fine vehicle control w/o the clutch.

Pinecone
11-29-2003, 05:23 AM
Bummer, I mean Bimmer has so many mistakes it is becoming worthless.

Not an article goes by that I don't find major mistakes.

And they SERIOUSLY edit letters to the editor. I wrote a letter about their SMG article. A nice letter with the mistakes and clarifications. It got cut to a single short paragraph.

Also if you wrtie their tech guy about mistakes, his answer is that he isn't a very technical person. So WHY is he doing their tech section??????????

Chris330Ci
11-29-2003, 08:07 AM
Interesting. I sold one yesterday and the man complained of slow shifts in non-sport mode but felt that engaging the sport button significantly improved response.

I think another important aspect has to do with becoming familiar with how the system works in regards to the timing of your upshifts in conjunction with slight throttle lift to smooth everything out.

My personal opinion is that it's just right for the cars that it's in. It could be a little quicker in the shifts and also offer more modes but then we're talking about SMGII which is obviously reserved for the M3. I think they're fun cars to drive but if it came down to choosing between SMG and a manual, I'd choose the manual every time.

We also sold an SMG 330i yesterday so evidently people like them...

PhilH
11-29-2003, 12:26 PM
I agree Bimmer seems to be going downhill. In almost every recent article, the authors gush over whatever car they're reviewing. It almost seems like the Z4 SMG was written to make them finally appear as if they can be objective.

I've noticed the mistakes as well.

pdz
11-29-2003, 01:24 PM
fellas, having driven a 360 modena with standard manual or with ferrari's SMG, plus the E46m3 with SMG.....all i have to say is that i agree with most of the "mainstream people".

SMG is okay, but the DSG in the audi TT is better (IMO).

Freaky_Monkey
11-30-2003, 01:23 PM
I haven't driven a Z4SMG with the new 08/03(?) programming, but I've reviewed the system here in the past, and the conclusion was that it needs work.

Interesting... I've just had my gearbox control unit replaced on my 325Ci, from version 13 (I think sometime May/June) to version 39. They had to ship me a whole new unit from Germany, so I think they've been working quite hard on it. I have to say that the response is now much better, both in normal and sport modes, although the upshift can be a little slow if you lift off when changing up. The trick is to keep your right foot down as you flick the lever!

Chocaine
11-30-2003, 05:04 PM
If I were coming from a manual to the SMG I might think it is slow and lacks control. But for those of us who had the choice between auto and sequential, it provides is a much better driving experience. In say 10-15 years I think autos will start to be phased out as smoother and all around better sequentials are developed.

Jeff_DML
12-01-2003, 12:18 PM
Anybody read the review of the Z4 SMG in the latest Sport Car Internation(SCI)? they hated it too, ripped it a new a-hole :yikes: