PDA

View Full Version : Wear and tear on seats

gulfviewmassive
07-14-2010, 11:40 AM
guys has anyone ever had their seats dyed? I've got a little wear and tear on the driver's side seat that I want to get renewed...........anyone had any experience with this and what it typically cost?

tight_white745
07-14-2010, 12:11 PM
Not sure about the dealers in your area but all the ones in mine have an independent company on premises who do interior work, resurface curb check on rims, and other things...you should check with them

patshah
07-14-2010, 12:12 PM
I had it done to only the driver side bolster and the driver door panel by the handle.
Looks perfect and like brand new again and cost me $60.

I recommend it to anyone that has a little wear and wants that brand new look again.

intsu
07-14-2010, 01:06 PM
I had it done to only the driver side bolster and the driver door panel by the handle.

I recommend it to anyone that has a little wear and wants that brand new look again.

Dealer did this? or 3th party shop?

Do you know if they replaced the leather or just fixed it up somehow?

gulfviewmassive
07-14-2010, 02:07 PM

Excellent! Called my dealer and he did say that he has someone that can do it for about 60 dollars! Swinging by there tomorrow..........I'll take some before and after photos in the event anyone else is considering it..........

1bad540
07-14-2010, 03:35 PM
Nice def post some pics, My seats are still new but you never know what the future holds..

BobSC
07-14-2010, 05:19 PM
Nice def post some pics, My seats are still new but you never know what the future holds..

I actually recently had all the leather replaced on my drivers seat under warranty. I had some wear spots showing up and the car is too new for that to happen. They replaced both the seat and the back portion. It looks great....

On the dying, I have seen a number of people do this over on e46 fanatics. Most of the results look really good. The ones that don't are usually by the DIY'ers who gave it a try.

I seem to recall someone here on the forum had it done to their front passenger seat and it looked good as well.

1bad540
07-14-2010, 06:47 PM
Really Bob new leather?? Thats nice how many miles were on the car?? thats the prob with the very light bmw int, It does wear. When i was looking at a 6er, I had looked at a 6er sport aw/with light tan int and with 20k miles there was wear showing on the bolster.

BobSC
07-14-2010, 07:26 PM
I'm right at 45K miles and am under manufacturers warranty until 50k or January. I pointed out the wear to them on my last visit, and I ended up speaking with the service manager. He said he wasn't sure BMW would cover it as they might consider it a wear and tear item. He told me he had to check with the regional BMW rep. I figured that was a recipe for a "no"...but to my surprise, they covered it and replaced both the seat section and the back section of the drivers seat. It took them all day, but it looks great.

I have the creme interior...so it is as light as it gets. The passenger seat and the back seat still look like new.

patshah
07-15-2010, 02:53 PM
Dealer did this? or 3th party shop?

Do you know if they replaced the leather or just fixed it up somehow?

3rd party and they sprayed it with the exact matching color and it looks perfect

th4nh750Li
07-15-2010, 05:47 PM
Not sure about the dealers in your area but all the ones in mine have an independent company on premises who do interior work, resurface curb check on rims, and other things...you should check with them

Hello i'm fron houston tx, can you or anyone recommend a good shop for interior work? Thanks

Seven11
07-15-2010, 06:00 PM
$60?!?!

peter pan bmw tried to charge me a whole lot more!

Seven11
07-15-2010, 06:01 PM

i may see some comfort seats in your future... :p

hotrod2448
07-15-2010, 06:24 PM
I've heard a lot of good things about Leatherique but, I've not personally used it. Some of the before and after photos are pretty amazing. It's reasonably priced and I'd give it a shot before trying to re-upholster something or letting the dealership guy at it.
http://www.leatherique.com/

BobSC
07-15-2010, 07:23 PM
I've heard a lot of good things about Leatherique but, I've not personally used it. Some of the before and after photos are pretty amazing. It's reasonably priced and I'd give it a shot before trying to re-upholster something or letting the dealership guy at it.
http://www.leatherique.com/

I have used Leatherique a lot on my 3 series vert. It does a remarkable job of cleaning and restoring the leather. I don't think it will help much with damaged leather (although it could darken it a bit).

What a lot of people do on the leatherique site is order their custom leather dye. Basically, if you pull out a seat and cut a 1 x 1 square of leather out from somewhere on the bottom where it doesn't show and send it to them, they will mix up an exact color match of dye for you. This is excellent for small repairs or giving your seats a face lift. They also describe several different methods of how to do it on the site.

I see a lot of the guys on the 3 series forum do this to their driver side bolster when it starts showing wear.

tight_white745
07-16-2010, 07:55 AM
Hello i'm fron houston tx, can you or anyone recommend a good shop for interior work? Thanks
Yes I do call advantage BMW they have a guy that does great work he only does interior work on high end cars....you will need to call advantage bmw 2 days in advance to get him out there and you will need to drop off your car it might be an overnight thing depending on how much work needs to be done