PDA

View Full Version : No garage, what to do?

Wingboot
11-29-2003, 02:03 PM
I知 off to Germany in March. I値l be working there for 10 months. So, of course I値l have to buy a new BMW. I think I知 going to take the plunge and get an M3.

When I return I値l be living in the D.C. area and I don稚 have a garage. Moving to a place with a garage is not an option. The car wouldn't be a daily driver so a short distance away would be fine. I looked into renting a spot near home in a parking garage but they generally run $100 per month. Also, it痴 usually just for a pass to the garage and not a specific spot. So that痴 out for being too expensive and not a guarentee from damage.

I thought about buying an enclosed trailer. That way I would have something to transport the car in as well as protecting it from the elements. However, I realized that security would be a major problem. What a great chance for a thief to cut the chain around the telephone poll and take off with my car. What do you guys think? Any suggestions?

LmtdSlip
11-29-2003, 02:18 PM
A heavy duty cover makes more sense.

Are you taking ED delivery? If so, how long can you keep the car there before having to ship it back to the states?

If I recall correctly the ED insurance and tags are good for up to six months. From there you can pay to have it extended.

Technic
11-29-2003, 02:25 PM
I知 off to Germany in March. I値l be working there for 10 months. So, of course I値l have to buy a new BMW. I think I知 going to take the plunge and get an M3.

Damn! I am very sorry to hear that... I wish that I have that problem. :stickpoke

I second the alarm and the cover suggestion... :thumbup:

Wingboot
11-29-2003, 04:42 PM
Thanks for the input. I'm not a fan of the car covers but it does seem to be the obvious choice.

Are you taking ED delivery? If so, how long can you keep the car there before having to ship it back to the states?

No, I'm not using the ED program. I will be able to buy a U.S. spec car while I'm there. I could keep it there as long as I'm working.

JetBlack330i
11-29-2003, 04:49 PM
Thanks for the input. I'm not a fan of the car covers but it does seem to be the obvious choice.

No, I'm not using the ED program. I will be able to buy a U.S. spec car while I'm there. I could keep it there as long as I'm working.
May I ask why not?
The ED program, while it will not give you a discount on the M3, does mean your car will be shipped back to the states for free, no?

Wingboot
11-29-2003, 05:14 PM
May I ask why not?
The ED program, while it will not give you a discount on the M3, does mean your car will be shipped back to the states for free, no?

I will be able to buy one through a military sales program :)

whk
11-29-2003, 05:29 PM
Since no one is giving truly boring advice, I will. Save your money and buy something you don't mind parking on the street. Wait a few years, till you've got a garage, and then think about buying an M3. I know that's boring advice, but it will save you a pile of money.

JonM
11-29-2003, 06:25 PM
Since no one is giving truly boring advice, I will. Save your money and buy something you don't mind parking on the street. Wait a few years, till you've got a garage, and then think about buying an M3. I know that's boring advice, but it will save you a pile of money.

That's exactly what I did. Bought house and M coupe in the same week. I waited for about 3 years before I got the coupe since I didn't want to park it in apartment/community parking spot.

Soupcan325i
11-29-2003, 06:32 PM
I understand how there is still potential for damage in the garage...but you say it's too expensive? You're buying a +$50,000 car and $100/mo. is going to break the bank?

Pinecone
11-29-2003, 06:37 PM
$100 a month for parking in teh DC area is a steal. Parking normally runs a good bit more than that.

I would get the car, pay for the garage, and keep it on the leat ued floor with a cover over it.

Not perfect, but it works.

Other possibility is to find someone with a garage they are not using all of and rent space from them. I am not DC area, but do work there (commute by train). If you were in my area I wouldn't mind a little extra cash. :)

Wingboot
11-29-2003, 09:04 PM
I understand how there is still potential for damage in the garage...but you say it's too expensive? You're buying a +$50,000 car and $100/mo. is going to break the bank?

Yeah, that's perplexing ..........I admit.

FireFly
11-30-2003, 08:29 AM
If you go the trailer route then I assume you will not be moving the trailer often? If this is the case, forget about the chain around the telephone pole idea and simply take the rims off the trailer when you know it will be stationary for a long period of time. This is what we do with boat trailers for winter storage. Too many people have cut the chains around the tree and driven off with the trailer.

One other option would be to check around with your friends to see if any of them owns an airplane and a hanger. They may be willing to let you keep the M in the hanger.

robj213
11-30-2003, 08:39 AM
A heavy duty cover and a smart alarm make more sense.

I don't think a chain around the pole is legal.

What's a "smart alarm"? Do you guys recommend the OEM BMW alarm?
I am also debating whether to take my car to grad school when I go in January :dunno:

nate
11-30-2003, 09:08 AM
You guys are fretting too much.

They are just cars, and are meant to be outside. You drive them outside, right?

Just leave it in the driveway or on the street. Cover if you want.

EdCT
11-30-2003, 09:47 AM
Nate's right, this is not a precious 50's era Ferrari, it's a nice (but nothing special) mass-produced performance car.

Drive it, enjoy it, if it gets ripped off......well, that's what insurance is for.

Ed