PDA

View Full Version : 04 745Li - Problems. Easy fixes?

Shaun387
07-16-2010, 08:30 PM
Hello! I bought a 2004 BMW 745Li a year ago. It has a few issues, but none seem to effect the ride, so I have not bothered fixing them yet. I have a little more time on my hands now and wouldn't mind trying to take a few of the issues. I realize most of these will require a dealer or a trained BMW mechanic to fix, but I thought I would throw out my issues to see if anyone had an idea.

1) Servotroic error - actually, I just fixed this one. I put my car on a lift and found a small wire had come loose. I plugged it back in and it steers like a champ now!

2) Dynamic Stability Control light - Where is this under the car? I see one part that is connceted to the middle of the lower sway bar and another park that is on some linkage near the front right (passenger) tire. Are either of these the DSC?

3) Air bag light

4) Parking brake malfunction

5) Restraint system light is on

6) Both fog lights give an error message and neither light up

7) On the rear driver side door, sometimes the window and door lock works, sometimes it doesn't.

8) The CD magazine above the glove compartment will not eject.

9) The previous owner said he swapped the seats out. He mentioned something about the seats had a blower on them. How would I tell if the seats have the blower and just not the controlls?

10) The logic7 stereo sounded great, but one day made a very loud, odd noise and cut out. Then it came back on, but without any bass. I cannot adjust the logic7 settings on my screen anymore. I've seen some people say the amp is bad, and others that think maybe a speaker went bad?

Ok, it wasn't quite 99 problems, but what do you experts think? Is there anything that I can tinker with to try to fix some of the items, or are the dealer fixes?

One other thing. I think the battery in my remote is going dead. Can I pop out the old battery and put a new one in without having to get the remote reprogrammed?

diznik007
07-18-2010, 12:03 AM
easiest fix................dump it!!!!!!!!!! probably cost you more to fix all that than the cars worth.:rofl: sorry i'm no help,

uamafioz
07-18-2010, 01:14 AM
damm that sounds worse then a salvage car can have, the only light i got on my bimmer is air bag lol cuz i have not replaced them yet, everything else is goneee.

csmeance
07-18-2010, 01:16 AM
Hello! I bought a 2004 BMW 745Li a year ago. It has a few issues, but none seem to effect the ride, so I have not bothered fixing them yet. I have a little more time on my hands now and wouldn't mind trying to take a few of the issues. I realize most of these will require a dealer or a trained BMW mechanic to fix, but I thought I would throw out my issues to see if anyone had an idea.

1) Servotroic error - actually, I just fixed this one. I put my car on a lift and found a small wire had come loose. I plugged it back in and it steers like a champ now!

2) Dynamic Stability Control light - Where is this under the car? I see one part that is connceted to the middle of the lower sway bar and another park that is on some linkage near the front right (passenger) tire. Are either of these the DSC?

3) Air bag light
-It might be the passenger seat mat that was recalled. Check the recall and see if it's been performed on your car.

4) Parking brake malfunction
-I know there is a way to back it off with a tool in the trunk, try backing it off and re-engaging it.

5) Restraint system light is on
-Restrain system? It might be related to the airbag mat once again. That or you said the seats were replaced so it could be a harness that isn't hooked up.

6) Both fog lights give an error message and neither light up
Check and see if they are plugged in or if they are wired up properly. The previous owner may have had some HID's and fried the wiring or not put the bulbs back in properly.

7) On the rear driver side door, sometimes the window and door lock works, sometimes it doesn't.

8) The CD magazine above the glove compartment will not eject.
There's a thread on here on how to get it unjammed, search and you'll find it

9) The previous owner said he swapped the seats out. He mentioned something about the seats had a blower on them. How would I tell if the seats have the blower and just not the controlls?
-Blower? I'm guessing seat coolers then, and this may be related to your Airbag light and Restrain system light. The comfort seats have preforated leather and are 20+ way power. Do you have the controls for heated/cooled seats by the seat adjustment knob? If yes, do they work by lighting up? If yes, put the cooler on level 3 and you should hear the fans in the seat run.

10) The logic7 stereo sounded great, but one day made a very loud, odd noise and cut out. Then it came back on, but without any bass. I cannot adjust the logic7 settings on my screen anymore. I've seen some people say the amp is bad, and others that think maybe a speaker went bad?
-When you loose the L7 settings, it's the amp 90% of the time that's gone bad. The other 10% may be programming related or a bad ASK unit. You can try resetting the car and see if it help resolve the issue.

Ok, it wasn't quite 99 problems, but what do you experts think? Is there anything that I can tinker with to try to fix some of the items, or are the dealer fixes?

One other thing. I think the battery in my remote is going dead. Can I pop out the old battery and put a new one in without having to get the remote reprogrammed?

Do you have comfort access in your car? If not, the remote charges when it's inserted into the slot from what I recall with the newer cars. I may be wrong though since I haven't dealt with that system more than once.

Check bold answers