PDA

View Full Version : Review: Armor All Wheel Protectant vs. Eagle One Keep Klean Wheel

JPW1
07-18-2010, 10:00 AM
I put up a post some time ago reviewing Eagle One's Keep Klean Wheel product. In a nutshell, I don't want to change my brake pads just yet and as many of us know brake dust is very heavy on these vehicles. The Eagle One review was good and I liked the product (to read more around the specific review go to the following post: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=420828).

However, I feel pretty confident a new king can be crowned in this arena, Armor All Wheel Protectant. This stuff is pretty amazing from what I've seen so far. This is still a somewhat early review for me so I'll be interested to see how it continues to perform in the coming days.

Basically, I cleaned my car thoroughly last Saturday and put Armor All Wheel Protectant on the front left wheel and Eagle One Keep Clean on the front right wheel. I commute with this vehicle so I would be putting a lot of miles on it. Ultimately, here is my experience.

Application: Armor All Wheel Protectant wins in this category. It comes out of the can in more of an aersol fashion or it might just be an aerosol. I'm not quite sure. In any event you can get an even spray on the wheel and it adheres nicely. Eagle One Keep Clean is a spray. It will drip some as it is applied. Once both were allowed to dry overnight you couldn't see so much that anything was applied on either wheel so that was good. The only differnece is both had some white residue seen at the bottom where the wheel meets the tire. The Armor All product only left a faint white residue where the product had overflown on to the tire whereas the Eagle One product was much more pronounced. Again, more of a win for the Armor All product. Finally. I couldn't help but notice the Armor All product seemed to allow the wheels reflection to "pop" more. In a way it almost seemed to improve the look of the wheel whereas the Eagle One product made the wheel look slightly more dull. This is really splitting hairs here since the difference was miniscule. If you weren't looking for it I doubt you could see the difference, but it seemed apparent to me.

Results: I live in Houston and this past week has been fairly dry and hot (until today). I drive about 80 miles per day and almost exclusively on the interstate. So each day this week I was inspecting each wheel to see what the progress looked like. After the first day when I am certain there was not any rain whatsoever I started to notice something with the Eagle One product, some faint streaking. This is only a guess but I suspect it had to due with the prolonged high speeds and that the product doesn't really adhere to the wheel as well as you would hope. The streaking could be seen only in between each spoke. The Armor All product did not exhibit this issue.

So by the end of the week I had driven about 450 miles. Looking at both wheels you could see a distinct difference. Neither wheel looked as good as day one, but the streaking with the Eagle One product was more pronounced as brake dust began to build. The Armor All product looked much better still without any streaking and only a faint dullness to be seen.

Fast forward to today and this morning it was raining and I had some errands to run. I knew this would be a very good test for the wheels to see how the product managed water and dirt. I went through about 20 miles of rain-soaked streets and then looked at the wheels. I was amazed. The wheel with the Armor All product looked incredibly good, still only a slight dullness, and no streaking. The Eagle One product did not fair nearly as well. The water clearly caused the product to break down more and the streaking between each spoke was far more pronounced. I've included two images which somewhat show the difference. Because of the reflection it is very hard to see how much brake dust is visible on the Eagle One wheel, but I can tell you the result is more dramatic than what you see in these images. If you look closely between the spokes in both images I think you can tell where the difference is. There is streaking visible with the Eagle One product whereas the Armor All product does not. Ultimately, I should be fair and say that both products are good and do what they claim. However, based on these results I will only be purchasing the Armor All Wheel Protectant product in the future. It just seems to do a better job in all areas.

BnWBMW
07-18-2010, 01:59 PM
Wow thanks so much for the review :thumbup:

I had been hearing good things about the Eagle One but I have always used Armor All

aznwhip
07-19-2010, 11:03 AM
#1 wheel cleaner is still P21S
#2 wheel cleaner is Sonax

pretty much universal among anyone who taked detailing seriously.

JPW1
07-19-2010, 11:34 AM
#1 wheel cleaner is still P21S
#2 wheel cleaner is Sonax

pretty much universal among anyone who taked detailing seriously.

I understand, but isn't that just a cleaner? These are products you put on after you have cleaned the wheel. They protect against the accumulation of items like brake dust.

aznwhip
07-19-2010, 12:54 PM
What you want is a wheel sealant or wax then. Poorboy's Wheel Sealant, Collinite 845, or Optimum Opti-Seal are some of the best for what you're talking about.

JPW1
07-19-2010, 12:57 PM
What you want is a wheel sealant or wax then. Poorboy's Wheel Sealant, Collinite 845, or Optimum Opti-Seal are some of the best for what you're talking about.

Waxes won't do hardly anything to repel brake dust. You ought to try a test of your own and put any of those products on one wheel and then Armor All Wheel Protectant on another. If you indeed have trouble with brake dust then I'm fairly confident you'll see the difference.

aznwhip
07-19-2010, 01:32 PM
Ok, reading fail on my part, went back and reread your first post, thought you wanted a quality protectant, not just dust repellent. If your goal is brake dust repellent, then yeah, the AA is a good product, although you can only get maybe 2-3 applications per can that lasts reported 2 weeks I remember reading on Autopia or Detailing Bliss a few months back. I'd probably still rather just do a sealant and hose/pressure wash the wheels. Usually brake dusts slides right off. You also won't get the overspray issue on your brakes and there was still some question (not sure if it's been resolved) about how safe they are on painted wheels.

themanagerco88
07-20-2010, 02:15 PM
I've been using AA for almost a month. I love this stuff. So far I did all four rims twice with one can. I'll probably clean her up again this weekend and finish off the can.

E92-Lighting
07-21-2010, 03:24 PM
i always go with Armor All