PDA

View Full Version : So I noticed a NEW light indicator in my dash today...

TXSTYLE
07-18-2010, 07:30 PM
Sure enough... When I came to a stop the car parked itself!?

But I'm not sure how I engaged it??? :eek:

http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/7473/autop.jpg

csmeance
07-18-2010, 07:36 PM
It might be the * button on your steering wheel, at least that's what I set mine to. It holds the car at redlights so you don't have to stay on the brakes. I find it great during traffic!

TXSTYLE
07-18-2010, 07:41 PM
Interesting! I will have to read up on this more. I assume it's showing brake lights for folks behind you?

USALEXUSBMW750
07-18-2010, 08:02 PM
Nice option on 7 series, yes its probably programmed button on the steering wheel

TXSTYLE
07-18-2010, 09:09 PM
Hmmm. Not sure if I'm comfy with using that option. Sitting at a busy intersection relying on the computer to park the car and leave it there? I shall stick with my right foot. ;)

csmeance
07-18-2010, 09:12 PM
Hmmm. Not sure if I'm comfy with using that option. Sitting at a busy intersection relying on the computer to park the car and leave it there? I shall stick with my right foot. ;)

use it a few times and you'll see it's foolproof. Press the gas and it'll let off by itself.

BmW745On19's
07-18-2010, 09:19 PM
use it a few times and you'll see it's foolproof. Press the gas and it'll let off by itself.

+1

Never use it personally though, feels weird.

The owners manual says its for stop n go traffic so you dont have to have your foot on the brake all day long, I think its a gimmick. Kinda cool though.

Keif
07-18-2010, 09:22 PM
Absolutely wonderful for city traffic.

Seven11
07-18-2010, 11:57 PM
almost never use it

Seven11
07-18-2010, 11:58 PM
and TX, whats up with not knowing what "auto p' is?!?!

after two, TWOOOOO e65's!

Mr_Burger
07-19-2010, 05:27 AM
Use it all the time (every journey), but disengage for parking...& no it doesn't leave the brake lights on while engaged so you avoid dazzling people behind you..

The only thing I would say is, when you're holding on a downward hill, a quick tap on the gas makes for a much smoother disengage of the park brake :)

GKT33
07-19-2010, 07:03 AM
I use it in heavy slow traffic, works good.....and it can be programmed in the settings menu on the I Drive!

USALEXUSBMW750
07-19-2010, 07:33 AM
Absolutely wonderful for city traffic.

After my wife start use it in city, she really felt in love with 7 series, and stop bagging me thats she wants 335i:p

Driver8
07-19-2010, 08:02 AM
Ah-HA!

So THAT'S what it's for...glad I RTFM ;)

Dj Tantra
07-19-2010, 03:04 PM
Use it all the time (every journey), but disengage for parking...& no it doesn't leave the brake lights on while engaged so you avoid dazzling people behind you..

The only thing I would say is, when you're holding on a downward hill, a quick tap on the gas makes for a much smoother disengage of the park brake :)

Same here, gotta disengage it when parralel parking because sometimes if you're going slow enough it'll engage and it becomes a pita.

irokdastar383
07-19-2010, 03:17 PM
its good for city driving but when u park take it off

ndabunka
07-19-2010, 05:45 PM
I only use it for drive through service but it is wonderful for it as long as you do not unbuckle your seat belt to get your wallet. Once you unbuckle or or open the door or anything else, the auto-park feature will automatically set your parking brake which can be a PITA. You can set the button on the steering wheel with the AutoPark feature or you can set it to that "un-used" button in the center console near your I-Drive.

kontir
07-19-2010, 06:14 PM
Once you unbuckle or or open the door or anything else, the auto-park feature will automatically set your parking brake which can be a PITA.

Well my car used to do that when I opened the door. Now it doesnt do it anymore. Even when Im driving and I engage it the light on the dash is ON so when I come to a complete stop the light turns off and the car keeps rolling. Anyone has any idea why it does that? Or my parking brakes are no good?

csmeance
07-19-2010, 06:29 PM
Well my car used to do that when I opened the door. Now it doesnt do it anymore. Even when Im driving and I engage it the light on the dash is ON so when I come to a complete stop the light turns off and the car keeps rolling. Anyone has any idea why it does that? Or my parking brakes are no good?

does your regular parking brake work? It might be a bad actuator for the parking brake...

kontir
07-19-2010, 06:37 PM
does your regular parking brake work? It might be a bad actuator for the parking brake...

Well when I set the parking brake it works fine as far as I know.

Mr_Burger
07-20-2010, 05:08 AM
The Auto P uses the seat sensor...If you lift yourself (above) out of the seat, Auto P is disabled.

kontir
07-20-2010, 05:42 AM
The Auto P uses the seat sensor...If you lift yourself (above) out of the seat, Auto P is disabled.

This happens to me while Im driving. I dont drive standing up.

Mr_Burger
07-20-2010, 09:52 AM
This happens to me while Im driving. I dont drive standing up.

:D
I didn't say you did, but many people adjust themselves for comfort if they get a little circulation issue while driving long distances and that in itself disengages the Auto P feature.. [handy for others as I couldn't work out wtf it was disengaging :)]

In your case, take it to the dealer and let them sort it. That's what they're there for ;)

kontir
07-20-2010, 09:42 PM
:D
In your case, take it to the dealer and let them sort it. That's what they're there for ;)

Sure. I dont want to pay 3000$ and then they couldnt reproduce the problem. Or they want to replace half of the parts in the car. Ill figure it out.

7_up
07-21-2010, 11:47 PM
I tried the auto park a couple of times its alright takes some getting use to though (Good show piece lol) .