PDA

View Full Version : Retrofit tv to 2005 facelift e65 with no tv

poon1
07-19-2010, 07:32 AM
Hi all

I have been lurking on here for a while :-)

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to retrofit a digital tv module to my car? I don't have tv at the moment but I keep seeing tuner modules on ebay and would like to fit it if I can. I believe it goes under the nav unit in the boot but will I need extra connections like the aerial and power etc. or will these already be present on the loom making the unit plug and play. I have searched around forums on the web and there is info on upgrading an analogue tv module if already present but nothing on retrofitting that I can find..

Many thanks.

csmeance
07-19-2010, 09:23 AM
roveractive.biz sells a retrofit for the tv tuner for Europe which won't work in the US due to frequency issues, but that shouldn't matter since you are in the UK!

poon1
07-19-2010, 10:34 AM
Thanks csmeance

I am looking to get tv on the front nav screen rather than rear seat passengers.

I wondered if I bought an original module off ebay if it would be a plug and play fit or will the brain need reprogramming?

Mr_Burger
07-19-2010, 11:23 AM
Don't forget you'll need the amps and possibly a new rear screen where the aerials are..

poon1
07-19-2010, 11:46 AM
Don't forget you'll need the amps and possibly a new rear screen where the aerials are..

Hi Mr_Burger

thanks for the reply-so the actual aerial for the tv tuner is built into the rear windscreen then. This turns it into a biiig job and probably not something practical. When you refer to amps do you mean aerial amps?

I have had a look by the nav DVD unit and cannot see any spare plugs on the loom although they could be tucked up out of sight-I really would have liked tv in my car too, bummer! :mad:

Mr_Burger
07-19-2010, 06:01 PM
Yup, I believe the E65 has 3 amps for both the rear and the front TV reception (2 for the rear enabling better reception and 1 for the front)

I don't know if they work like that, ie, stable picture in the rear and unstable picture in the front while driving though..(I have tv in motion fitted but I don't allow rear passengers lool)

It'll be less of an issue once we go fully digital here as the signal will increase 10 fold..

For the most part, people have found it more cost effective to trade a car in and get one with the TV (or desired options) fitted as it's just too much faffing about to get it going.

The rear screen may already be wired for the TV, but it might not. I believe the shark fin contains the GPS and GSM aerials only...

I would like the night vision, but it's not a worry unless a kit pitches up for a few hundred quid... :) I've got pretty much every other option on the car so I'm prepared to live without that.

poon1
07-20-2010, 01:57 AM
No pimping my panzer then-any info about the Dension 500? Would it be worth getting one of these for music from a usb stick or would it be more trouble than it's worth again..

I don't really want to trade in the car as I only bought it a month ago :) - - everything else is great (so far) (apart from the usual noisy sunroof) - :bigpimp::bigpimp::bigpimp:

I think the next one after this will have to have tv fitted :thumbup: might not be for a year or two though.

Night vision sounds interesting, what's that then :yikes:

Mr_Burger
07-20-2010, 05:03 AM
I've not updated my audio in the car so I'm no expert on that (plenty of threads here though to peruse)

As for the night vision, it simply enables you to see in the dark by using a heat sensitive camera mounted at the front of the car. This is displayed on the front screen while driving (and yet you can't [legally] watch TV while driving, but this is fine lol)