PDA

View Full Version : Hans Stuck, Nurburgring, & E60

bluer1
12-01-2003, 02:59 PM
So I finally caught the Tommy Kendal Speed Channel E60 test drive. Three winners (BMW's search for the Ultimate Driver) were selected and flown to Germany for a ride around the 'Ring with Hans Stuck at the wheel.

WTF, one of them refused? What kind of "BMW enthusiast" would refuse a lap around the 'Ring in a BMW with Stuck at the wheel?!
:thumbdwn:

In all, a good showing for the E60. Stuck offered some amusing commentary while TK followed him for a lap, "You know I've done over 2000 laps here - I think by now I should know which is the way to go."
:D

Moderato
12-01-2003, 03:12 PM
That show was what first got me interested in getting a new 5. I thought the same thing about that guy that refused the drive, WHY???????? :confused:

I'm hoping to get a 530 or maybe a 545 in the spring, if not then by the fall of 2004.

Alex Baumann
12-01-2003, 03:15 PM
When did they do this ? :confused:

I'm asking this, because Nurburgring is a big construction yard at the moment. The track is closed.

doeboy
12-01-2003, 03:22 PM
When did they do this ? :confused:

I'm asking this, because Nurburgring is a big construction yard at the moment. The track is closed.

They did it a while ago. In August I think... though I'm not certain on that.

My favorite quotes (I'm doing this from memory so they may not be actual quotes):

"High-speed action! HAH Hah Haaaa....."
"Ja... I can't wait.. I want to scare da hell out of them...."
"Ja... you need to have track knowledge so you know where to go... otherwise it can be a bit of a problem..."

doeboy
12-01-2003, 03:26 PM
WTF, one of them refused? What kind of "BMW enthusiast" would refuse a lap around the 'Ring in a BMW with Stuck at the wheel?!

Yes, I was thinking "What?!?! This guy is :loco:" as well.

Bob330Ci
12-01-2003, 05:03 PM
Kinda reminds me of people who've never even heard of some band winning front row seats. I wanna mug the guy.

B.

SteveT
12-01-2003, 06:29 PM

I think they did this in July. The evaluation/screen test (whatever) at Spartanburg, SC was in June and I think they went over in July. I went to M-School in mid-July and a BMW marketing guy Tom Stepanchak, who was involved with the selections, was in the class and they had selected who was going to the Nurburgring, but I don't think they'd gone yet. Tom said that it turned out to be a much more difficult task with all the entries and every one had to be read.

I was also shocked that the guy who was supposed to have done Skip Barber school or something opted out of the ride with Hans Stuck. Very discouraging.

Clarke
12-02-2003, 01:49 AM
I know,I'd give my left nut for a ride around the Ring with him. The only rational explanation I can think of is that he might have motion sickness issues when a passenger. He didn't want to be on TV hurling on Stuckys back?

bluer1
12-02-2003, 07:34 AM
I know,I'd give my left nut for a ride around the Ring with him. The only rational explanation I can think of is that he might have motion sickness issues when a passenger. He didn't want to be on TV hurling on Stuckys back?

Perhaps, but then he should have grabbed one of these on the way over:
http://www.airsicknessbags.com/A/AmericanAirlinesOldA.jpg

Yeah - I fell off the couch when Stuck said "I wanna scare the hell outta them!"
:rofl:

SteveT
12-02-2003, 05:38 PM
The purpose of going was to visit the 'ring with Hans Stuck, so it kind of goes without saying that Stuck's going to drive there somewhere. If he knew he might have motion sickness problems, he shouldn't have gone in the first place.

Plaz
12-02-2003, 06:00 PM
The purpose of going was to visit the 'ring with Hans Stuck, so it kind of goes without saying that Stuck's going to drive there somewhere. If he knew he might have motion sickness problems, he shouldn't have gone in the first place.

Maybe he just had too much schnapps and wurst the previous evening?

SteveT
12-02-2003, 06:13 PM

Then I would agree with bluer1, he should get himself a bag. I don't think he's going to get another invite next year.

Mdk330i
12-02-2003, 08:31 PM
I would have been in the car before he even asked who wants to go. :D

Chris330Ci
12-02-2003, 09:24 PM
I know why he didn't go... :eeps:

AG
12-02-2003, 09:27 PM
Maybe he didn't call shotgun in time? :dunno:

doeboy
12-02-2003, 09:35 PM
I know why he didn't go... :eeps:

Care to share? Enquiring minds want to know... why someone would pass up an opportunity to ride the Nurburgring with Hans Stuck behind the wheel.

Chris330Ci
12-02-2003, 09:36 PM
Ego/control issues. Seriously. One of the other finalists was a Hendrick customer. We were talking about this guy the other day and our customer explained why he refused to get in. Evidently the guy does some DE's or maybe even amateur racing and didn't feel comfortable with someone else at the wheel. :confused: :rolleyes:

doeboy
12-02-2003, 09:40 PM
Ego/control issues. Seriously. One of the other finalists was a Hendrick customer. We were talking about this guy the other day and our customer explained why he refused to get in. Evidently the guy does some DE's or maybe even amateur racing and didn't feel comfortable with someone else at the wheel. :confused: :rolleyes:

Hmm... but it's Hans Stuck... with 2000 laps under his belt.... :loco:

oh well... :dunno:

bluer1
12-02-2003, 09:46 PM

:rolleyes: :thumbdwn:
I hope your customer gave him a hard time when they got back to the hotel!

MR325iT
12-03-2003, 01:14 PM

I had the same reaction. They should have made the guy ride in the trunk. That'll fix him.

Alex Baumann
12-03-2003, 01:18 PM

:bustingup :lmao: :bustingup

Uh oh ..errr... yeah :eeps: