PDA

View Full Version : ZHP available on coupes and convs.

TedW
12-02-2003, 12:30 PM
I don't have the official bulletin yet, but preliminary reports indicate that the ZHP pkg. will now be available for coupes and convertibles beginning with March production. I will release information as it becomes available to me.

Ted

RChoudry
12-02-2003, 12:37 PM
nice...glad I've waited

mbr129
12-02-2003, 12:40 PM
That sucks. I would have wanted the ZHP on a coupe. But then again, I wouldn't have been willing to wait a full year for it.

Also, given our new plans for what cars to own in the future, it works out better that I got a sedan. And I prefer the pre-facelift coupe anyway.

Maverick
12-02-2003, 12:48 PM
Awesome, hopefully this will come through and confirm the rumours! :AF330i:

alee
12-02-2003, 01:02 PM
You heard it here (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26616) first. :angel: :D

Chris330Ci
12-02-2003, 01:14 PM
Yup. It's gonna happen. I just heard it too...

mbr129
12-02-2003, 01:30 PM
I figured it would happen. It only makes sense. Let's see... the added cost of the ZHP is all gravy for BMW, makes their cars look good in auto magazines, freshens up the aging lineup, and it fuels their performance image.

The cost of the ZHP is justifiable fo rsome of us when you compare what it would cost to get these thinsg done a la carte or aftermarket, but to them is only an incremental cost and lots of profit.

Maverick
12-02-2003, 01:42 PM
Yeah, it's easy for them because most of the package already exists. It's pretty much the M Sport Package (available in Canada and elsewhere) with the extra HP. Coupe will be sweet! Maybe this will be one of the last truly good looking BMWs?

flashinthepan
12-02-2003, 01:49 PM
I don't have the official bulletin yet, but preliminary reports indicate that the ZHP pkg. will now be available for coupes and convertibles beginning with March production. I will release information as it becomes available to me.

Ted

I would have chose the ZHP option for my Convertible :mad:

Oh well, still happy, & I like all the 3's anyways (so far) :thumbup:

Kaz
12-02-2003, 01:53 PM
Isn't the E90 slated for MY05? That would mean that this would only be for 6mo, or if the coupe/conv is staggered a year again, 15-18mos? Don't see the point, really.

RChoudry
12-02-2003, 02:01 PM
Kaz, the point is exclusivity for rare e46 coupe/covertible ZHP owners!

TD330ci
12-02-2003, 02:13 PM
WOW,

Time to enjoy the E36 M3 vert and the 01 330 until next fall and then sell both and order the last good looking BMW. 05 330ci ZHP!!!

WOHOOOOO. sweet!!! :bigpimp:

At least the ZHP package would get rid of the buck tooth grill. :eeps:

Alex Baumann
12-02-2003, 02:14 PM
Isn't the E90 slated for MY05? That would mean that this would only be for 6mo, or if the coupe/conv is staggered a year again, 15-18mos? Don't see the point, really.

They have already started with the installation of the production equipment. The robots are being mounted. They will complete the lines at the end of Q2/2004. The pre-launch test production is starting in June 2004. The serial production is starting in March 2005.

LeucX3
12-02-2003, 02:19 PM
The robots are being mounted.

:rofl: :lmao: :bustingup

SARAFIL
12-02-2003, 02:20 PM

Nah, it'll be a MY06 as far as I know. What Alex mentioned above seems quite reasonable, expect production to begin in March 2005, and US production late summer for a late summer/early fall launch in the US. This means that the E46 will carry over at least part way through MY05, just like the E39 was built well into MY03. Also, expect a gap between SOP for sedans and coupes/converts.

Chris90
12-02-2003, 02:35 PM
Isn't this going to hurt M3 sales, with a 330 coupe that looks so similar? Or maybe it means M3 production will stop next spring?

TD330ci
12-02-2003, 02:48 PM
Isn't this going to hurt M3 sales, with a 330 coupe that looks so similar? Or maybe it means M3 production will stop next spring?

They did the very same thing with the last year of the E36 coupe. Although it was only the body kit and interior, it looked just like the E36 M3 except for the rims and the exaust.

philippek
12-02-2003, 03:41 PM
BMW does this with all their products as they reach the end of their life cycle... the 03 540s, for example, had the M5 body kit... It would make sense to spice up the tail end of the E46 so that people have a reason to buy, instead of just waiting for the E90.

Maverick
12-02-2003, 04:24 PM
BMW does this with all their products as they reach the end of their life cycle... the 03 540s, for example, had the M5 body kit... It would make sense to spice up the tail end of the E46 so that people have a reason to buy, instead of just waiting for the E90.

Exactly

Wingboot
12-02-2003, 04:59 PM
Maybe this would open the door for a V8 in an E46 M3.

That would be sweet..............

More likely we will have to wait for the E90 for a V8, right?

"Meet the new E90 M3, the old E39 M5"

Just a natural trend. All cars grow as the model ages. New models replace the old at some point. Hopefully BMW will make a "new 3" in the form of a smaller, lighter car while the "lagacy" cars continue to be developed.

Not like the ti though.........uuuggggggggggh.

bbkat
12-02-2003, 06:16 PM
I would have chose the ZHP option for my Convertible :mad:

3 months after my expected redelivery!!! :mad: :banghead:

AF
12-02-2003, 06:26 PM
Nah, it'll be a MY06 as far as I know. What Alex mentioned above seems quite reasonable, expect production to begin in March 2005, and US production late summer for a late summer/early fall launch in the US. This means that the E46 will carry over at least part way through MY05, just like the E39 was built well into MY03. Also, expect a gap between SOP for sedans and coupes/converts.

Looks like the E90 will be a MY2005 according to this
http://bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=579230&postcount=12

Bobby 325i
12-02-2003, 06:41 PM
This is getting out of hand. BMW is just making the ZHP package available to compete with other car makers. Look at Acura CL-S, G35Coupe,350Z they all have more power than the current 330ci's.BMW just want's to gain some of the market back. I think that this decision will hurt M3 sales because new buyers will want a facelifted version of the coupe sporting the Msport's package for a smaller cost than an M3. It's all a marketing ploy:tsk:

Chris90
12-02-2003, 07:46 PM
A ZHP coupe would be really sweet, cause I think the lower stance looks better than the sedan, but I'm not sure I'd trade that for the practicality and stiffness of the sedan. Plus it's like $1500 more probably, and over $35k, every grand counts!

Pinecone
12-03-2003, 01:38 AM
Looks like the E90 will be a MY2005 according to this
http://bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=579230&postcount=12

MY06 would be more "normal" for BMW. They typcially run a model for 7 years. Since the E46 started in MY99, MY06 would be the expected year of the E90.

Considering they just did the facelift, and the rumored impending ZHP in Coupe and Cabs, it seems like 06 is more likely. Hard to believe they would do that much so close to the demise of the chassis.

fatmanz3
12-03-2003, 05:04 AM
Can someone explain in just a bit more detail just what the ZHP package is. OK, I've read it's 'performance' and the 'm' type additions, but can someone say like it's a : same engine as normal, but stiffer suspension, lowered etc.....

Thanks,
Wayne.

Alex Baumann
12-03-2003, 05:17 AM
Can someone explain in just a bit more detail just what the ZHP package is. OK, I've read it's 'performance' and the 'm' type additions, but can someone say like it's a : same engine as normal, but stiffer suspension, lowered etc.....

Thanks,
Wayne.

330i Performance Package (http://cuttermotors.com/jon_shafer/performancepackage.pdf)

Chris90
12-03-2003, 06:13 AM
The E90 is supposed to debut at Frankfurt in 2005, so I'm sure that means it's a MY06.
Don't be fooled by the $3900 price tag on the ZHP package, since you don't have to buy leather (if you like the alcantara) or the sports package, it's really only like $1500 extra.

Patrick
12-03-2003, 06:17 AM
Looks like will need a ZHP forum after all ... :eeps:

:angel:

-

routesixtysixer
12-03-2003, 07:57 AM
The E90 is supposed to debut at Frankfurt in 2005, so I'm sure that means it's a MY06.
Don't be fooled by the $3900 price tag on the ZHP package, since you don't have to buy leather (if you like the alcantara) or the sports package, it's really only like $1500 extra.

Don't forget $1,000 extra cost for 18-inch wheels on non-ZHP.....

Pisses me off! About the time I finish "building" my 04 coupe into a ZHP, they will be available. Oh, well............

ObD
12-03-2003, 10:25 AM
Looks like will need a ZHP forum after all ... :eeps:

:angel:

-

They may need their own site: ZHPfest. :flame:

fatmanz3
12-04-2003, 04:13 AM
Alex,
thanks for the link. Very sweet and just what I was looking for. I'd wait for it also.

:thumbup:

TedW
12-04-2003, 08:52 AM
MY06 would be more "normal" for BMW. They typcially run a model for 7 years. Since the E46 started in MY99, MY06 would be the expected year of the E90.

Considering they just did the facelift, and the rumored impending ZHP in Coupe and Cabs, it seems like 06 is more likely. Hard to believe they would do that much so close to the demise of the chassis.

Please notice that in my post I stated that my rep told me that the E90 would be a 2005MY. I actually have this statement in an email from my rep. It is quite possible that he is wrong which is why I named him as the source of my information. If he indeed is wrong I'll simply send his email back to him and ask for an explanation. As soon as I get an official bulletin about the E90 I will post it.

Ted

Matthew330Ci
12-05-2003, 04:01 PM
I don't see a ZHP coupe really affecting M3 sales..

andy_thomas
12-08-2003, 05:10 AM

?

The 330Ci has been available with this bodykit for nearly three years. Doesn't make it an M3, though!

andy_thomas
12-08-2003, 05:12 AM

Um, I thought everyone knew by know that the M-Sport package, which is the "ZHP" (minus the invisible-to-the-eye engine and diff) has been available since 2000, only one year into the production of the coupe.

routesixtysixer
12-08-2003, 06:52 AM
Um, I thought everyone knew by know that the M-Sport package, which is the "ZHP" (minus the invisible-to-the-eye engine and diff) has been available since 2000, only one year into the production of the coupe.

Not in the U.S.A.

cenotaph
12-08-2003, 08:18 AM

As routesixtysixer already said, the US is very limited in what options we can order. Some are only obtainable through packages, while others (like cloth interiors) aren't officially offered. If you find a dealer that's willing to work with you and the watchers at BMWNA miss it, or are feeling charitable that day, you may be able to order some of it, but for the majority of people and many options it just isn't possible.

For an idea on what we can order here, go to www.bmwusa.com. About the only up-side to this is that (from what I hear) we pay less for comparably equipped cars.

Tanning machine
12-08-2003, 08:46 AM

Interesting article in NY Times last week about BMW's new factory in Liepzig. Said it would be for new 3 series, and would be complete by March 2005 for beginning of production.

Chris90
12-08-2003, 11:52 AM
Do you mean the Club Sport package? cause that was purely cosmetic, and widely panned for not only no performance improvement, but the suspension tuning made the handling worse. The ZHP package is generally agreed to be a great enhancement both visually and performance wise. Since a number of M3 buyers want the look as much as the performance, a ZHP coupe could take a few M3 sales. But to balance that, it'll steal some buyers from the G35 coupe, Audi TT, Boxster etc.

?

The 330Ci has been available with this bodykit for nearly three years. Doesn't make it an M3, though!

andy_thomas
12-11-2003, 01:28 AM
Do you mean the Club Sport package? cause that was purely cosmetic, and widely panned for not only no performance improvement, but the suspension tuning made the handling worse. The ZHP package is generally agreed to be a great enhancement both visually and performance wise. Since a number of M3 buyers want the look as much as the performance, a ZHP coupe could take a few M3 sales. But to balance that, it'll steal some buyers from the G35 coupe, Audi TT, Boxster etc.

No. The PP approximates to the Sport Package (M II bodykit, bit wheels, al cube trim, alcantara/laser, M wheel etc.) which has been available on the coupe since around late 2000 and on which the PP is based (excepting the engine/diff mods). It's also been available on the convertible, sedan and touring, usually for all 8 engine derivatives, since the M II package was created.

Interesting that BMW Individual was purported to be involved in the creation of the 330i PP. Individual is/was never alluded to the M II Sport package, and Individual generally doesn't do anything with drivetrains or chassis, so I've no idea why BMW NA chose to "create" that relationship...

Chris90
12-11-2003, 05:10 AM
Well, here in the US it's all about image, which is probably why only in the US would BMW worry about a 330Ci ZHP stealing M3 sales.

No. The PP approximates to the Sport Package (M II bodykit, bit wheels, al cube trim, alcantara/laser, M wheel etc.) which has been available on the coupe since around late 2000 and on which the PP is based (excepting the engine/diff mods). It's also been available on the convertible, sedan and touring, usually for all 8 engine derivatives, since the M II package was created.

Interesting that BMW Individual was purported to be involved in the creation of the 330i PP. Individual is/was never alluded to the M II Sport package, and Individual generally doesn't do anything with drivetrains or chassis, so I've no idea why BMW NA chose to "create" that relationship...

doeboy
12-11-2003, 09:33 AM
Well, here in the US it's all about image, which is probably why only in the US would BMW worry about a 330Ci ZHP stealing M3 sales.

Honestly though... In my opinion, it probably won't hurt M3 sales by that much if at all....

unless they give the Coupe with ZHP some fender gills (that say "ZHP" instead of "///M3" perhaps even) :eeps: :p