PDA

View Full Version : Thermostat replacement

Busarider
07-23-2010, 09:21 PM
Hey guys, I intend on replacing my thermostat (DIY) one of these days. I called the dealer in Toronto and they are asking $175 for the thermostat plus $25 for a 4L coolant.
Question:
Does this price seem right?
Can I use an aftermarket thermostat or is OEM the way to go?
Do I have to use BMW coolant or can I use the regular retail stuff?
Any special steps involved, suggestions, trips or tricks to remove & replace.

Thanks,

wilk187
07-23-2010, 09:58 PM
You can use any phosphate free coolant on your radiator. As far as the thermostat price, you can look around online and price compare. The dealer is always going to be more expensive, so you should start looking for places online to buy parts (you can find oem parts online at several places also....the dealer will install/warranty OEM parts, even if you don't buy them from them). Not sure if they ship to canada, but try www.autohausaz.com or www.getbmwparts.com

If the dealer does the work, they're going to use bmw coolant. It is more expensive, but you can buy it online also, even on ebay from time to time.

Busarider
07-24-2010, 07:44 AM
Thanks Wilk87, the prices online are definately less expensive, I going to look around.

stlbmw
07-24-2010, 10:41 AM
I did my thermostat when I performed the water pump job. The thermo are kinda expensive because it comes
within a new housing. No other way to do it without buying the thermo+housing.

If memory serves the thermos cost is near $120 napa auto parts

irokdastar383
07-26-2010, 04:48 PM
i actully have to replace mine. i got qupted 125 at my bmw dealer. one questions do you have diy on this? and is this easy to do?

bghubr
07-26-2010, 06:14 PM
www.rmeuropean.com

wahler thermostat which is oem $64.27 USD

Busarider
07-26-2010, 06:52 PM
Thanks bghubr, this is really priced low. My car is a late 03, I only have to remove the three bolts from the housing. There is a write up in this forum, http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=428853

pigeon
07-26-2010, 09:03 PM
Go with the BMW coolant. It's not that much more expensive and it's the right stuff to use with the car. If you can't spring the extra $10 or so for that you should just sell the damn car.