PDA

View Full Version : 760Li battery not charging

compcell
07-23-2010, 08:43 PM
Hey guys, heres my deal...maybe someone can give me some insight.
I just bought a 760LI from the auction and i drove it for a couple mins and the battery died. I decided to just take it to the bmw dealership, get a new battery and have it registered. The dealership seems kind of shady and I don't think they actually reprogrammed it to the car and just put a new battery in. Drove the car for 20 mins with the new battery and BAM dies again when driving it. All sorts of crazy lights came on because of the low battery.

I did my research and no one really seems to have a solid answer to this. I've read online that it could be my TCU or DME. Bottom line is the battery is not recharging when the engine is running. I hope someone can help I just want to drive this thing. Thanks

bghubr
07-24-2010, 12:41 AM
Check alternator output.

1bad540
07-24-2010, 07:59 AM
I agree check the alt..

mw92841
07-24-2010, 10:07 AM
Dealer should be able to diagnos if its the DME or the alternator or the battery. If they say its the DME I'd insist on replacing Battery and Atlernator first. Replacing those is only a few hundred. DME is $1900. Also if it is the DME AFTER you replace those items...have the mechanic tow the car to you house. Swapping out the DME and EWS is a 20 minute job you can do in your driveway. Very simple job. :)

compcell
07-26-2010, 12:51 PM
Thanks I'm having it checked out by the dealer. You would think it's the alternator but the charging system in this car seems like it has many other components that could go bad.

m3m5m6tech
07-27-2010, 06:10 AM
Do not buy any thing on a, could be. You need 3 things done... #1. Have the dealer do a draw test AND a charging test. This test requires the vehicle to stay over night. #2. Have them do a complete check in all the updates for all control modules. They might charge you an hour diag. Its worth it. That way you know all softwares are up to par. BUT, only have them do a check on all the updates. DO NOT PROGRAM ANYTHING YET..... And #3. Since you got it at a auction, you should do a complete look over and safty check. Meaning check if its been rear ended. Lift the rear truck flooring and left and right side covers. Check all pillars. Remove lower body cover panels. Check front section of both frames for any damage or replacement body parts. The safety check is all suspension, complete brake system, lighting, etc... You could have a car that been at a body shop and was not put back together the right way.... They will charge you a few hours. That way you know ALL that is needed and/or was done to your vehicle.. Invest in it before you start dumping money every time there is an issue... Its worth it. Let me know.. trans_fanatic@yahoo.com

compcell
07-28-2010, 01:19 PM
Hey thanks for the info guys. Replaced the alternator and she working great now. Thanks