PDA

View Full Version : Few questions on my new to me 07 750Li

Ferguson
07-24-2010, 11:24 AM
Last week I purchased a 2007 750Li with 41,000 miles with Sport, Luxury Seating and Logic 7 Stereo packages. The car seems to run great and is very clean. Unfortunately it did not come with a manual so I am working my way though the online version. I do have a few questions though as I am learning all the features of the car.

1. The car sold new in California but is now in FL. I know Cali has more restrictions on air pollution, so does my car have any extra parts monitoring or restricting emissions? If so, can it easily be removed?

2. My car is still under warranty so I would like to get the oil changed. I purchased the car used so do not know when it was last done. Will the dealer change the oil for free just becaue I ask them to? I am assuming the have a schedule to follow and the message on my dash says next service is in 13 months or 12,000 miles. Will they go by that or just service my car and establish a history with it? I also checked my air filters and they were pretty dirty....will they change those also if I ask? Anything else I should ask to be done? What would they expect to service at 40,000 miles?

3. I would like to add Sirius and attach my iPhone to my car. Before I add Sirius, I have a few questions about iPhone functions. Right now I am running my iPhone through the Aux in my console. With my iPhone I can listen to Sirius (sirius app) and my mp3's. What sucks is I have a wire coming out of my console and I need to use the iPhone to navagate anything. If I add the BMW iPhone kit, does that integrate the phone into the iDrive menu? If so, can I also access apps so I can listen to Sirius?

3a. What about Bluetooth? Does hooking my iPhone up by Bluetooth integrate the phone into iDrive? If so, could I access mp3's and Sirius app? Also, how do I get the pin # to pair my iPhone to my car? I tried to pair them and couldn't get past the point of entering my pin.

3b. Assuming the above doesn't work and I need to add a Sirius adapter to my car, what will be involved? I found this kit on the BMW site but do not know if this is all I need? It says the car needs to have the Sat Prep Kit installed....how do I tell if my car is prewired for it? Will the dealer need to reprogram my iDrive? What's the expected cost?

http://accessories.bmwusa.com/ItemView.aspx?modelId=35&categoryId=111&productCategoryId=&menuId=2&subItemId=1&productId=755

4. How do I reset the dash menus (average mpg and speed?)

5. Any common problems with the car I should look for? I am starting to read about the transmission problems and thankfully mine feels normal so far. Is there any preventive maintenance I can do or fix for any other common issues?

6. Finally, can Comfort Access be added to the car? Its the least of my concerns but I am just curious.

gman750
07-24-2010, 11:44 AM
1. Not sure about that one.

2. Since you're under 50,000 the dealer should do all of that including changing the filters for free.

3. a.you can't access your music or apps through the iphone. All it does is download your phonebook and I think your top 5 people you call or something. The bluetooth code can be found by the dealer while they're doing your oil change. Some say it's in the trunk somewhere but I didn't have any success with that, dealer found mine.
b.Not sure but I think all they have to do is reprogram your idrive to accept SAT.

4. Hold down the button on the speedo.

5. Just do some research on the forum.

6. I highly doubt it.

*I hope that helps..you can find better answers to your questions by searching the forum though.

Maverick62
07-24-2010, 01:04 PM
to reset miles per gal & consumption. Move idrive knob to 1:00 to car data and find BC
gas mileage consumption and reset when driving:thumbup:
service interval in months is usually for state inspection for sticker. you can change this in your car maintenance history after inspectionThe 12,000 is your next oil change .They do it at 15,000 which is way to long .

ndabunka
07-24-2010, 05:15 PM
Cars sold in Cali have additional equipment that CAN NOT (legally I believe) be removed (as it IS a Cali-delivered car even if it is not being used in Cali) so if it was me I would not even bother to try. The dealer certainly will not pay to convert it to a non-Cali car so personally, I don't think it is anything to be concerned about. So you car has cleaner emmissions than a non-Cali car, that's a GOOD thing, right?

Sounds like the oil was changed VERY recently if it shows 12K left before next oil change. These cars monitor themselves so you probably do NOT need an oil change and therefore your dealer probably will NOT change it (since it is not required per your dash). If you bought it from a BMW dealer, you should not have any reason to doubt it. However, if you bought it from an individual or a broker or a non-BMW AUTHORIZED dealer then you may want to tell your service adviser that you question the dash settings and would "like" to have them change the oil...just "in case". They may well perform it.

Ferguson
07-25-2010, 12:09 PM
Thanks for the replies and clarifying how this car functions! The reason for removing the emissions equipment would be for better gas mileage and performance. The only way to reduce emissions is to restrict the car in some way which should reduce perfomance, so I didn't know if I could gain gas mileage or horsepower by removing additional cali only required emissions equipment.

The only thing now is to find out how to add Sirius to my car. I'll post in the electronics forum and see if anyone there knows!

ndabunka
07-25-2010, 09:48 PM
Thanks for the replies and clarifying how this car functions! The reason for removing the emissions equipment would be for better gas mileage and performance. The only way to reduce emissions is to restrict the car in some way which should reduce perfomance, so I didn't know if I could gain gas mileage or horsepower by removing additional cali only required emissions equipment.

The only thing now is to find out how to add Sirius to my car. I'll post in the electronics forum and see if anyone there knows!

I thought that others had already posted about the Sirius option. There are a LOT of post on this forum. Just use the SEARCH function (above right). If your car did not come with a Sirius receiver, one can be added. Adrounf $600 if I recall those other posts...

As far as fuel economy or performance... I'd wager the change would not be sufficient to warrant the costs.