PDA

View Full Version : 2003-2 DVD NavTech Disc.

eluder
12-04-2003, 11:57 AM
So, who's got it? Mine came with 2002-1 and it doesn't show a lot of stuff that it should (like new bridges!). Also, my dealer told me I would get one free, but after calling BMW NA and NavTech, it turns out he lied, as only the CD-users are eligible for a free upgrade.

The HACK
12-04-2003, 12:01 PM
I have the 2003-2 CD version (yeah, I have the older cd based nav) and it's significantly more detailed than the 2002-1 that I used to have.

It now has a complete map of Bakersfield, where as before it's only the freeway and a couple of main streets. :thumbdwn:

Oh, and it also tells you which side the street your destination is on, which is really cool.

eluder
12-04-2003, 12:03 PM
Twist the knife a little deeper why don't ya! ;) Am I correct in assuming that the CDs will work in the DVD Nav unit?

Alex Baumann
12-04-2003, 12:07 PM
Please do not post unauthorized or illegal links to sites or ISO images.

Thanks.

The HACK
12-04-2003, 12:12 PM
Twist the knife a little deeper why don't ya! ;) Am I correct in assuming that the CDs will work in the DVD Nav unit?

Don't know. You're not going to get a free copy from me, I paid $120 for mine. :rolleyes:

eluder
12-04-2003, 12:16 PM
Ya, it's $200 for the DVD. I just called my dealer and he said he'll "see what he can do". Obviously, I don't have the highest expectations.

Terry Kennedy
12-04-2003, 12:19 PM
Am I correct in assuming that the CDs will work in the DVD Nav unit?Yes. Those of us who received early production 2003's got CD maps. If you never travel outside your map area, or only use major roads when you do, the CD map should be fine for you. Access is slightly slower than with the DVD, but you probably won't notice. The only issue is that you may need to enter your destination (if it is in the area covered by another CD) by scrolling the navigation map and pushing the button, instead of by street address.

Many roads (which have existed for at least 4 years) are still missing from the 2003-2 DVD. NavTech has the data (the road appears on MapQuest which uses their data and NavTech have also confirmed on the telephone that they have the road in their database but that it still isn't on the current maps). NavTech implies that this delay is due to the production approval process (NavTech -> VDO -> BMW -> VDO -> NavTech -> duplication house -> NavTech order fulfillment).

A USA CD set costs the same as a DVD ($199) and you can trade / sell the other discs to recover some of your costs.

You can often find navigation CD/DVD images on the peer-to-peer file-sharing networks. Of course, there's no guarantee that they're really what they're labeled as, and the NAV computer is notoriously picky about recordable media.

Terry Kennedy
12-04-2003, 12:24 PM
Ya, it's $200 for the DVD. I just called my dealer and he said he'll "see what he can do". Obviously, I don't have the highest expectations.Try one of the BMW discount dealers (Pacific, Circle, etc.). The BMW part number for the US 2003-2 DVD is 99 00 0 005 976. However, that part number may come up as "not available" as normally BMW dealers only order them as part of the new car delivery process.

BTW, if you have a CD-based NAV and are traveling outside your map region, sometimes you can drop in on a BMW dealership and chat with a salesman (it helps if you have a modified car and can get the salesman interested - ask me how I know this :D) and ask if he has any old discs from lease turn-ins. You can often get a slightly out-of-date disc for free that way.

eluder
12-04-2003, 12:26 PM
Thanks for the great tip. I'll get on the horn with Pacific and Circle and see if they can get them.

The HACK
12-04-2003, 12:27 PM
...the NAV computer is notoriously picky about recordable media.

Really? What I've been doing is making a copy of the NAV CD, and use the copy instead of the original and store the original away. Seems to work just fine. :thumbup:

eluder
12-04-2003, 12:31 PM
Really? What I've been doing is making a copy of the NAV CD, and use the copy instead of the original and store the original away. Seems to work just fine. :thumbup:
I ran some tests with my DVD-Nav unit. It wouldn't read my Sony DVD+RWs or DVD+R backups I made of my current disc. I have a Plextor 708A, which will also burn DVD-RW and DVD-R. I plan on getting some "-" media and trying that as well.

PropellerHead
12-04-2003, 12:38 PM
I ran some tests with my DVD-Nav unit. It wouldn't read my Sony DVD+RWs or DVD+R backups I made of my current disc. I have a Plextor 708A, which will also burn DVD-RW and DVD-R. I plan on getting some "-" media and trying that as well.It is my understanding that you need a software that will allow you to make copies of copywrited material in order to backup the DVD navigation discs.

My 708A is on the way. I intend to research my findings in order to make a useable backup of the DVD navigation CD- Which I've yet to order. Does anyone know if there will be a 2004 early next year? I may consider waiting until then to purchase.

eluder
12-04-2003, 12:48 PM
It is my understanding that you need a software that will allow you to make copies of copywrited material in order to backup the DVD navigation discs.

My 708A is on the way. I intend to research my findings in order to make a useable backup of the DVD navigation CD- Which I've yet to order. Does anyone know if there will be a 2004 early next year? I may consider waiting until then to purchase.

I've used several programs, and have not noted any copyright protection schemes in use. CSS is used on MPAA discs (like DVD-Video), and even that was cracked a long time ago. I could be wrong though.

The 708A is is a great drive, be sure to update to the 1.03 firmware when you get it though, it fixes some issues and increases write speeds on certain media. (I think it updates the ATIP table)

Terry Kennedy
12-04-2003, 12:52 PM
It is my understanding that you need a software that will allow you to make copies of copywrited material in order to backup the DVD navigation discs.

My 708A is on the way. I intend to research my findings in order to make a useable backup of the DVD navigation CD- Which I've yet to order. Does anyone know if there will be a 2004 early next year? I may consider waiting until then to purchase.I am running a copy of my 2003-2 disc (purchased from NavTech the week it came out) in my car. I am using Memorex 4x DVD-R media (50-piece bulk pack, UPC 0-34707-05572-8), copying with Alcohol 120%, on a TDK IndiDVD 4X internal burner (multi-mode -/+ R/RW).

Single-layer DVD-ROMs (which is what the NAV DVD disc is) are just like oversized CDs and can be copied with any computer DVD recorder and any software that will make image copies. The only issue is with compatibility of the player's drive with the media.

Copying video DVDs is somewhat of a different matter, but is outside the scope of this forum (and probably of Alex's tolerance).

The NAV computer is pretty picky about the DVD media it will read, particularly without any of the compatibility "magic bits" set. You can get a disc stuck in there if you're not careful. Obviously, all of this stuff is at your own risk and if you get a disc stuck in the NAV computer, you'll be out a large pile of cash to get a replacement.

I don't understand how you could have a DVD NAV computer and no DVD map, since everyone who got a CD map in their DVD computer (early MY 2003 deliveries) should have received a free upgrade to the 2002-1 disc around January 2003. And later deliveries would have had either the 2002-1 or the 2003-2 disc.

NavTech says they plan on having the normal 2-per-year release schedule for the DVD. Of course, since they don't even admit that DVDs are orderable on their web page and they don't have a way to notify customers that new discs are available, it is hard to tell if this happens. I'd expect to see releases around April and October, but that is just a guess.

eluder
12-04-2003, 01:01 PM
I am running a copy of my 2003-2 disc (purchased from NavTech the week it came out) in my car. I am using Memorex 4x DVD-R media (50-piece bulk pack, UPC 0-34707-05572-8), copying with Alcohol 120%, on a TDK IndiDVD 4X internal burner (multi-mode -/+ R/RW).

Single-layer DVD-ROMs (which is what the NAV DVD disc is) are just like oversized CDs and can be copied with any computer DVD recorder and any software that will make image copies. The only issue is with compatibility of the player's drive with the media.

Copying video DVDs is somewhat of a different matter, but is outside the scope of this forum (and probably of Alex's tolerance).

The NAV computer is pretty picky about the DVD media it will read, particularly without any of the compatibility "magic bits" set. You can get a disc stuck in there if you're not careful. Obviously, all of this stuff is at your own risk and if you get a disc stuck in the NAV computer, you'll be out a large pile of cash to get a replacement.

I don't understand how you could have a DVD NAV computer and no DVD map, since everyone who got a CD map in their DVD computer (early MY 2003 deliveries) should have received a free upgrade to the 2002-1 disc around January 2003. And later deliveries would have had either the 2002-1 or the 2003-2 disc.

NavTech says they plan on having the normal 2-per-year release schedule for the DVD. Of course, since they don't even admit that DVDs are orderable on their web page and they don't have a way to notify customers that new discs are available, it is hard to tell if this happens. I'd expect to see releases around April and October, but that is just a guess.

Sorry if I left out some details. I do have a DVD Nav system and a DVD Nav disc. It's just the older disc, 2002-1. Apparently the DVD's aren't eligible for the free upgrades.

PropellerHead
12-04-2003, 01:16 PM
I don't understand how you could have a DVD NAV computer and no DVD map, My DVD nav computer was an upgrade from the MKII unit which came with my 2000 540. I bought the drive but no DVD and have been using my regional CD's.

Thx for the info on the media. I will refer back to it when I am ready.

dchen
12-08-2003, 04:07 AM
So, who's got it? Mine came with 2002-1 and it doesn't show a lot of stuff that it should (like new bridges!). Also, my dealer told me I would get one free, but after calling BMW NA and NavTech, it turns out he lied, as only the CD-users are eligible for a free upgrade.

I got my upgrade dvd 2003-2 from BMW NA about a month ago. It was sent from Central letter shop. Didn't have to pay anything. I bought my 540 in sept and it came with the 2002-1 dvd.

eluder
12-08-2003, 11:19 AM
I got my upgrade dvd 2003-2 from BMW NA about a month ago. It was sent from Central letter shop. Didn't have to pay anything. I bought my 540 in sept and it came with the 2002-1 dvd.

That's sweet, I never even got the navigation pack in the mail form Navtech that I've seen people mentioning here. Both BMW NA and Navtech said DVD users don't get the upgrades. Hopefully my dealer will be able to pull some strings and hook me up, since you know, we've only bought 4 BMWs from him in the past 2 years.

dchen
12-08-2003, 12:30 PM
That's sweet, I never even got the navigation pack in the mail form Navtech that I've seen people mentioning here. Both BMW NA and Navtech said DVD users don't get the upgrades. Hopefully my dealer will be able to pull some strings and hook me up, since you know, we've only bought 4 BMWs from him in the past 2 years.

Funny, I also bought exactly 4 BMWs from my dealer in Honolulu. Also bought 1 Mini Cooper. The dealer should be able to hook you up with a disc.

eluder
12-08-2003, 12:35 PM
Funny, I also bought exactly 4 BMWs from my dealer in Honolulu. Also bought 1 Mini Cooper. The dealer should be able to hook you up with a disc.

I hope so. He's 1 of 2 in the state, so the near-monopoly they have makes then a little less likely to help out. We'll see though, if not, I'll be sure to let BMW NA know. It's bad enough he's fallen through on numerous other accounts, the least he can do is help a repeat customer.

dchen
12-08-2003, 12:52 PM
Call BMW NA customer care and complain