PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with Homelink? Thoughts?

jbeck325
12-04-2003, 03:30 PM
I am thinking of getting the homelink system. Do you guys think it is work the 180 dollars?

Mr. E
12-04-2003, 03:47 PM
I got it and really like it. It's a very simple self install, and I like the fact that if someone breaks into my car, they can't waltz off with my garage door opener since it's now integrated.

SpaceMonkey
12-04-2003, 03:53 PM
http://www.circlebmw.com/parts/access/transmitter.htm

Kaz
12-04-2003, 04:44 PM
The receiver unit is actually just a X10 unit, which are dirt cheap to get.

Maverick
12-04-2003, 04:55 PM
It's so much bette than having the clutter of different remotes. Especially if you have more than one. I have mine set for our two garages and work, so that would normally be three remotes. I give it :thumbup:

330i_pp
12-04-2003, 05:36 PM
I think I got mine for like 134 from Bekkers?

glaws
12-04-2003, 05:48 PM
I have it as a dealer install in my car and like it a lot. Only drawback is a VERY short range. Like I have to be right in front of the door to open/close.

jvr826
12-04-2003, 08:19 PM
I have it as a dealer install in my car and like it a lot. Only drawback is a VERY short range. Like I have to be right in front of the door to open/close.

There is an add-on available to extend range if you need it. Also, try reprogramming it with a fresh battery in your oem remote. This may help too. I can be at my driveway entrance, which is quite a ways away from the garage, and around a corner blocked by a hill and mine works fine. I think your range can be improved.

Great feature to have and very secure given it only works when the key is on.

vern
12-05-2003, 07:09 AM
There is an add-on available to extend range if you need it. Also, try reprogramming it with a fresh battery in your oem remote. This may help too. I can be at my driveway entrance, which is quite a ways away from the garage, and around a corner blocked by a hill and mine works fine. I think your range can be improved.

Great feature to have and very secure given it only works when the key is on.
If you still have trouble after doing all the suggested things and it still doesnot improve your range get in touch with Homelink and they will sent you a up dated model.Thats what I did and my range improved to 300 + feet.When I got the new model they told me to go to the BMW center for free installation.
Good luck
vern

bluer1
12-05-2003, 08:04 AM
I got it and really like it. It's a very simple self install, and I like the fact that if someone breaks into my car, they can't waltz off with my garage door opener since it's now integrated.

Don't kid yourself. It's just as easy to remove as it is to install.

Personally - I never keep a GDO in a vehicle, regardless. The vehicles in my garage are far too valuable. (The BMW doesn't get garaged.)

vern
12-05-2003, 11:54 AM
Don't kid yourself. It's just as easy to remove as it is to install.

Personally - I never keep a GDO in a vehicle, regardless. The vehicles in my garage are far too valuable. (The BMW doesn't get garaged.)
Well pardon us!!!!!!!!!

bluer1
12-05-2003, 12:09 PM
Well pardon us!!!!!!!!!
:confused: :dunno:

Just saying that the fact that it's integrated doesn't make it significantly less easy to take.

KevinM
12-05-2003, 12:20 PM
I am thinking of getting the homelink system. Do you guys think it is work the 180 dollars?

I highly recommed the Homelink. :thumbup: My 1999 528 did not have it while my 2002 530 does - what difference. No more do I try to find three 2-3 remotes/have them fall down on me, etc. Go for it!

Kevin

Mr. E
12-09-2003, 08:45 PM
:confused: :dunno:

Just saying that the fact that it's integrated doesn't make it significantly less easy to take.Of course it's not hard to rip it out of the headliner, but what I meant was
A thief would have to know that's a garage door opener (not immediately obvious from the markings on it) In order to use it to open my garage after removing it from my car, they'd have to either wire it into another BMW, or kludge up some sort of 12-volt power supply for it.Personally I think it's definitely more secure than a stand-alone, battery powered opener. Of course, if you keep your garage paddlocked and don't park your BMW in there because it's not a nice enough car, why are you weighing in on the value of HomeLink? :dunno:

My BMW is my nice car, so of course it stays in the garage. :thumbup:

bimNaround
12-10-2003, 11:21 AM
The receiver unit is actually just a X10 unit, which are dirt cheap to get.

What goes into the car is a transmitter, right? Is that what you were referring to as being available from the X10 folk? If so, what transmitter from X10 will function like the BMW Homelink transmitter ie has a learning function for a gargage door opener?

TD
12-10-2003, 11:33 AM
What goes into the car is a transmitter, right? Is that what you were referring to as being available from the X10 folk? If so, what transmitter from X10 will function like the BMW Homelink transmitter ie has a learning function for a gargage door opener?
Exactly. Can you give us a bit more info? I'm at the X10 site and can't find anything except components of hard-core home automation systems.

It's like, "I just want a garage door opener. Help."

Kaz
12-10-2003, 11:47 AM
Oh, I thought the original poster was asking about the part that goes into your house to turn on lights and stuff, not the UGDO.

There are universal keychain and other type transmitters that will work with X10 and garage doors, but I really like my UGDO and keep my original transmitter unused in the house.