PDA

View Full Version : Leak---HELP

imcivor
07-26-2010, 02:15 PM
Hi there all...

I have a 2003 745Li and it has developed a leak over the past week and I was looking for someone to give me some divine information...

The liquid is not oil ( at least I don't think so.).

Now...It is coming from the pan behind the oil filter. That is the best way to describe it. It looks like originally that it is condensation coming from the air (that is what I originally thought) until the area didn't dry up. Now, I also thought that the area there might have a ton of road grime, break dust and all sorts of nasty stuff, and when the air is run, the condensation mixes and deposits this on my driveway.

So what is under this pan behind the oil filter? The tail pipe runs beside it...

Any help here?

samadkins29
07-26-2010, 02:24 PM
Coolant leak? check the coolant level.

imcivor
07-26-2010, 02:29 PM
Thanks. I will take a look at that. Is that what runs in that area? The rest of the car is dry...

Ian

Coolant leak? check the coolant level.

samadkins29
07-26-2010, 02:36 PM
Im not sure, sorry, just mentioned coolant since these things have a known issue with the coolant pipe.

imcivor
07-26-2010, 02:47 PM
No worries. I'll still check that as well.

Im not sure, sorry, just mentioned coolant since these things have a known issue with the coolant pipe.

wilk187
07-26-2010, 02:51 PM
perhaps you should post a few pictures and circle the spot?

jgriffith007
07-26-2010, 03:18 PM
I had a bad oil vacuum pump that leaked and got worse over time. I also cracked my reservoir for my coolant. It was $40 bucks and an easy 5 minute swap. If its the pump, it was $700

USALEXUSBMW750
07-26-2010, 09:43 PM
if this antifreeze then you must have low level on idrive i think its just condensate from air condition

imcivor
07-27-2010, 10:23 AM
Is there normally a buildup of other things in the pan that I am talking about? (I am attaching a picture of what I am talking about). Point: The car rests on a very slight angle upward in the driveway...Nothing is coming up on iDrive as needing attention (aside from rear brakes that I mistakenly tripped the sensor for).

The arrow pointing to the oil filter is for directional reference. The area of the engine is clean and dry.

Thanks again to all.

Ian

if this antifreeze then you must have low level on idrive i think its just condensate from air condition

Boing745
07-27-2010, 10:32 AM
looks like your tranny is leaking because thats where mine was leaking too

imcivor
07-27-2010, 10:49 AM
Perfect...How much did that cost you to repair?

looks like your tranny is leaking because thats where mine was leaking too

USALEXUSBMW750
07-27-2010, 01:58 PM
yea that tranny get bad go to shop asap

imcivor
07-27-2010, 02:22 PM
Obviously without looking at it first hand, how much would a repair like this cost from a non dealer BMW repair shop? Looking for ballpark figures here...

yea that tranny get bad go to shop asap

Keif
07-27-2010, 03:31 PM
If it looks/feels/runs downhill easily like water, then it's just condensation -- likely coming down from the rear vents in the center console, perfectly normal. If it looks/feels similar to oil or brake fluid, then it's probably transmission fluid -- the drain plug and transmission pan are both known to leak.

mccabema
07-27-2010, 05:16 PM
Replace your transmission gasket and pan.

The transmission pan buckles from heat over time and causes the tray to leak. The gasket and o-ring were also known to fail.

See parts here:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=GL42&mospid=47773&btnr=24_1010&hg=24&fg=15

Boing745
07-27-2010, 05:48 PM
Perfect...How much did that cost you to repair?

i was out of warranty when it started and i dunno why, it was just the seal but they have to change the gasket because they dont sell seal separately so i paid 1100 out of pocket for a day at the stealer :( it sucked, redicilous how much they charge, then they tried to change the oil too and oil is like 40 or 50 for liter or something like that and it takes alot but i told them to reuse the oil thats there.

GKT33
07-28-2010, 08:22 AM
I would also check the level on your power steering res. If its low, it could be that as it also covers the stabilizers used with the Dynamic Traction system...:dunno:

imcivor
07-28-2010, 01:50 PM
Thanks to all.

Question regarding the tranny. Is this something that an 'average Joe' or DIY can do? I have done brakes/cooling/alternator/starter type stuff before so that gives you an idea of my aptitude. Any special tools? Is that in my picture the tranny pan?

Boing745
07-28-2010, 06:24 PM
Thanks to all.

Question regarding the tranny. Is this something that an 'average Joe' or DIY can do? I have done brakes/cooling/alternator/starter type stuff before so that gives you an idea of my aptitude. Any special tools? Is that in my picture the tranny pan?

in ur pic thats justa cover that covers the tranny, transmission is serious deal so i wouldnt mess with it, u can try tho but i personally wouldnt mess with it

Keif
07-30-2010, 04:39 PM
A few of us have dropped the pan and replace the fluid and/or gasket ourselves, and this should be well within your abilities. You'll probably break a few of the old bolts around the trans pan, will get pretty messy, and will probably burn yourself on the exhaust a few times (though nothing major). The only special tools needed are a fluid drip pan, transmission fluid pump, torx socket set, and an allen wrench socket set (with one big enough to fit the drain plug).