PDA

View Full Version : Headlight cleaning

irokdastar383
07-27-2010, 03:25 PM
sup guys so i tried to clean my headlights from the inside. my problem is that i got dust somehow on the inside on my headlights. i tried air can and got nothing. is there a vent somewhere where i can clean them?

patshah
07-27-2010, 04:21 PM
Put it in the oven and go to town! You can always order new clear ones for $1,400 if you mess them up.

irokdastar383
07-27-2010, 04:33 PM
i been looking all over . no one has the ones with the adaptive headlights. plus i need the car everyday. cant take out the headlights

GKT33
07-28-2010, 07:28 AM
Man, after my deer wreck, insurance would only replace 1 so I tried everything to clean the other short of openning it up and just could not get it done and didn't feel comfy opening it up. I had to man up and buy another. There are some places to get them for around $1250, even at the stealer. I don't know what yr your car is but they have closed out the older series light assembly to a newer one. Though I didn't want to spend it, I'm VERY happy!

irokdastar383
07-28-2010, 10:13 AM
i got an 04 .

GKT33
07-28-2010, 01:50 PM
If you have adaptive headlights that go l/r and up/down, then you'll have to pay a bit more. My 02 just goes up/down

irokdastar383
07-28-2010, 02:02 PM
to my luck i do lol. any way of opening these or replacing the covers?

GKT33
07-30-2010, 06:31 AM
The lenses are sealed onto the light frame. You have to break the seal to do that. I just didn't feel comfy doing that. I did save the old one for parts and may break it open just to see how hard it might be. I know Keif was looking into doing that also...:dunno:

irokdastar383
07-30-2010, 07:34 AM
if u have a break threw let me know. that will be great if you can do a write up

Keif
07-30-2010, 04:00 PM
The furthest I went so far was using a metal washer (with fishing line tied to it to pull it back out) covered in cloth. I passed it between the headlight casing and internal headlight assembly, then used a strong magnet on the outside to make the washer wipe the casing from the inside. I've made some decent progress with it, but not really enough to suggest the method just yet. I'm looking for a stronger magnet currently.

Tthough thicker, microfiber seems to work much better than paper towels (even when the paper towels are changed frequently).

patshah
07-30-2010, 04:58 PM
The furthest I went so far was using a metal washer (with fishing line tied to it to pull it back out) covered in cloth. I passed it between the headlight casing and internal headlight assembly, then used a strong magnet on the outside to make the washer wipe the casing from the inside. I've made some decent progress with it, but not really enough to suggest the method just yet. I'm looking for a stronger magnet currently.

Tthough thicker, microfiber seems to work much better than paper towels (even when the paper towels are changed frequently).

Keif, any luck finding an old headlight to take apart.....?

Keif
07-30-2010, 05:10 PM
Not yet =(