PDA

View Full Version : A source to find out OEM wheel offsets

Andy
12-05-2003, 08:26 AM
I'm trying to find out what the offsets are on my ZHP wheels (M135) front and rear. Does anyone know a good source where I can find this information out? I've already tried the dealer and they don't know squat!

Thanks,
Andy

WAM
12-05-2003, 08:41 AM
Shame on you for asking your dealer such a complicated question!
:)

I was wondering about this myself and I thought it might be marked on the inside of the wheel itself. I am going to change my tires over the next couple of days so I am going to check then.

I remember looking at some other cars wheels once and it had the size and offset marked on the outside surface of the alloy wheel, e.g. 6.5J x 7 ETxx

Mr Paddle.Shift
12-05-2003, 09:19 AM
18x8 Et47
18x8.5 Et50

Andy
12-05-2003, 10:23 AM
18x8 Et47
18x8.5 Et50

Thank you for the info. Where did you find this out at?

Andy
12-05-2003, 10:25 AM
Shame on you for asking your dealer such a complicated question!
:)

:rofl: :rofl: That's funny, I was thinking the exact same thing when I got off the phone with them.

I was wondering about this myself and I thought it might be marked on the inside of the wheel itself. I am going to change my tires over the next couple of days so I am going to check then.

I remember looking at some other cars wheels once and it had the size and offset marked on the outside surface of the alloy wheel, e.g. 6.5J x 7 ETxx

I'll check my wheels when I get home, just to double check to see if they are listed on there. Thanks.

AF
12-05-2003, 10:41 AM
They are definitely listed on the wheel . . . check the inside !!!

It will give you the wheel size and the offset

The HACK
12-05-2003, 11:52 AM

I'm pretty sure it's listed in the ETK. It should also be STAMPED in the back side of your rim somewhere. It'll be a 2 digit number following the letters ET.

Kaz
12-05-2003, 12:29 PM
I'm pretty sure it's listed in the ETK. It should also be STAMPED in the back side of your rim somewhere. It'll be a 2 digit number following the letters ET.

It's not in the ETK, at least on wheels I've ever checked on.

But Vince is correct, they should be 18x8ET47 and 18x8.5ET50

Andy
12-05-2003, 04:49 PM
Yep, you guys were right. The offsets were 47 & 50 and they were stamped on the inside of the wheel. Thanks.

Question for you all... If I were to increase the offset, say go from 50 to 56, that would push the wheel further out away from the car, right?

Thanks,
Andy

The HACK
12-05-2003, 04:54 PM
Yep, you guys were right. The offsets were 47 & 50 and they were stamped on the inside of the wheel. Thanks.

Question for you all... If I were to increase the offset, say go from 50 to 56, that would push the wheel further out away from the car, right?

Thanks,
Andy
Shouldn't this be posted in the wheel/tire forum? :dunno:

And if you increase offset, it'll push the wheel in. Offset is the measurement from the center line of the wheel to the mounting surface. the larger this number is, the further the wheel gets pushed in.

You want something with SMALLER offset, or use spacers, to push the wheels out.

Andy
12-05-2003, 05:11 PM

Yep, it should now. I was originally just wanting to find out if there was a web site available with OEM offset info. Mods, please move this when you get a chance. Thanks.

And if you increase offset, it'll push the wheel in. Offset is the measurement from the center line of the wheel to the mounting surface. the larger this number is, the further the wheel gets pushed in.

Thank you.

Pinecone
12-05-2003, 05:26 PM

Not always. There is positive and negative offset. And I forget which one is which.

But for BMW wheels, all are more offset means smaller track.

There for a BS maximum legal wheel, you are looking at 40.65 and 43.65 mm offsets.

Andy
12-05-2003, 05:35 PM
Not always. There is positive and negative offset. And I forget which one is which.

But for BMW wheels, all are more offset means smaller track.

There for a BS maximum legal wheel, you are looking at 40.65 and 43.65 mm offsets.

Here's some good information on wheel offsets...
http://www.etddiscounttire.com/wheeloffset.html

http://www.etddiscounttire.com/images/offset.jpg

Mr Paddle.Shift
12-05-2003, 10:26 PM
ETK has the info listed.