PDA

View Full Version : Dealer and BMWNA lawsuit

irokdastar383
07-28-2010, 10:33 AM
so i been having a problem ever since i got my car back from the dealer. i took it in for a recall on the seat sensor. make a long story short the car stalls 30 min after taking it from the dealer. all the errors came up .check engine light no navi no radio nothing. finally after 1 hour turns back on . cd player doesnt work and my amp is blown. cd chnager works fine. took it back to bmw they didnt want to look at any problems saying what they did was nothing to do with the car. so after flipping out and arrguing with them . the service manager comes out and bascilly said to me . look we can not tell whats wrong with the car till we diagnose it it will 165 an hour and it will requir about 5 hours because we have to bench test each component. and even then we wont fix anything. " honestly sir the 04's have alot of problems the 02 and 03 are worse but ure car is a bit better. these is about 40 computers in your car and anything can trigger these problems". so at this point i am furious for one i brought the car to them for no reason when they told they would check it. and 2 the bmw service manager bascilly is telling me i own a peace of crap and they know they have issues and there not willing to look at it. mind you 3 customers that were there were stunned and where like if this is how you guys treat your customers were not coming back here. so i called bmw it self and there argueing with me that the dealer is right even though they messed up car and they want me to pay them almost 800 just to check out my car.then she goes on well since your out of warranty we cant help you. i was like you dont make sence if i had warranty i wouldnt need you or anyone ill ust drop the car and let them deal with it. again no help i been talking to her for3 weeks to get this resolved.
took the car in today to my mechanic who deals with bmws. this is the list i will need to fix there mistakes

1. battery
2. alternator
3.amplifier
4.cd player
5.full car software reprogaming.

total with labor 4,679.:mad:

should i do small claims court of should i go another route. i checked with the nyc courts and i can sue both the dealer and bmw usa since there linked to them and both were involved. if someone has a better idea please help!!!

Judd944
07-28-2010, 10:55 AM
Sorry man but I have to agree that fixing your seat mat did not cause those errors to crop up.

Have them install new software (really).

I was getting a lot of errors on the dash and after updating software the car has been clean for more than 50k miles.

It ran me ~200 bucks.

7_up
07-28-2010, 11:04 AM
You need to get a short clean up then that will get everything cleared up. Then all that stuff should start to work again.

irokdastar383
07-28-2010, 11:13 AM
i asked them to do that but they wont do a thing unless they do the diagnostics and it will run me about 800. my mechanic told me that these parts will need to be replaced. the battery isnt holding a charge. if i open the car door the lights start to dim . the amp and cd are blown nothing that can fix them. and the reason for a reporgram is that when i get a new batter amp etc. they need to be synced to the car but he is updtaing my software to the latest one anyways. i dont know much about bmw but i am sure they messed up something when i took it in.it took the 4 days to give me back my car and there excuse is they ordered the parts wrong 3 times. and when i asked for my car back till they get the seat sensor there were like well the front seat is out and blah blah blah. no way my car starts acting up like this out of the blue. i never had an issue with it before.it was just the airbag sign

ndabunka
07-28-2010, 11:17 AM
irokdastar383 - I agree with the others that it is very unlikely that any service they did for your seat could have created the problems you are talking about.

Take a look at this from their perspective...
How would they KNOW that your amp wasn't blown BEFORE you took it in if they did not check it as part of the service you requested? There are a number of "dirty" owners out there that attempt to pull one over on the dealers by making claims after a service that were actually there before the service. Work on a seat would not cause an AMP to be blown. They may have left a cable mistakenly disconnected but that's about it. Are you CERTAIN it's not simply a connection error?

Who is "your mechanic"? Sounds to me like HE could be the one feeding you a line. Batteries die on cars EVERYDAY, that has nothing to do with BMW quality and at the age your car is, a battery replacement is to be expected. Also, you mechanic SHOULD know that a good battery is CRITICAL in these cars. You get all kinds or warnings and errors when the batter is low. It wouldn't show up as a blown AMP but is may show up in the other electronics (including your CD player) so it may in fact not have a problem beyond the need for a new battery.

When use in reference to a person, use THEIR, not "there" (there indicates a place, placement or location)

7_up
07-28-2010, 11:20 AM
If you can find a BMW/Mercedes shop they will do a short diagnostic for under $100 and they will clear all the faults then redo the test to make sure everything is running alright (takes about 30-45 minutes). Some cars have that ISIS program which you need to go to the dealer for like having your locks lock @ a certain speed and your windows go up with the remote, light etc, but you wont have to worry about that with the diagnostic youre looking for.

irokdastar383
07-28-2010, 12:04 PM
i did a reset of the codes . by my mechanic and the only thing that comes back is a stuck thermostat which i dont car about right now. the problems i have is that the car cant stay on wihout the engine befor it dies out cant even turn on the screen. navi and radio dont work.and it didnt work till i took it my mechanic and he had to change some fuses from the box and behind the radio.now the navi turns on the radio plays but if i put a cd in the front cd player it wont read it. and the sound comes out crackled and speakers pop. my battery was fine before i got there. i even had it tested 3 month prior cause i was thinking of changing it. and i get that they always have people who do things to cheat them for things that were already wrong in the first place but my problem is they wont even look at it to see where its from.i dont care if its something to do with the car being old i get that ill pick up the tab but when they refuse to check it and only if i pay them i know something went wrong. i work in electronics and if my customer comes back saying something is wrong with there device i will at least check it for them and explain them what went wrong and whos fault it is. there just dont want to be responisble and want to charge me a 800 because they know i wouldnt pay it.so that they can say well unless you pay us we wont do anything.i also mentioned that to my mechanic and he started laughing . he said they dont need to take anything out to check it. all they have to do is plug the car up to the computer and see why did that component go bad.its a 30 min job. he pointed out to me that if it was a code or reprogramm he would of done that but he had to change the fuses so he thinks something they did must of overloaded the electricall system and killed my amp and cd player.

joej85
07-28-2010, 12:09 PM
I think you should do the following:

1) Get a new battery (from the dealer).

2) Have the battery registered to the car. (dealer or ind)

3) Have the alternator tested to verify that it is charging. (dealer or ind)
(You can check the voltage with the car running from the secret menu of the instrument cluster, which could tell you if the alternator is working at all...)

4) If the alternator isn't working properly, have it rebuilt or replaced.

Once you know the battery/alternator is working properly, the other problems will probably go away. If the problems don't go away, you are going to have to go through these 4 steps anyway before any further troubleshooting can start.

When the battery is weak on these cars, the power module starts shutting down power to things that aren't critical to the operation of the car. The AMP would be one of the first things to be shut down. If the power module is indeed shutting down your AMP, I would expect the AC fan to be not working normally too.

You probably noticed that when you start the car, the AMP shuts off while the engine is cranking, even with a brand new battery. It is just the way the car is designed to work.

irokdastar383
07-28-2010, 12:50 PM
but there not shutting off my amp turns on but its sounds really bad. what do you guys make of the blown fuses?

1bad540
07-28-2010, 02:53 PM
Thats really sux rockstar, The blown fuses is def not normal. Like others have said def put a new batt and register it and see if that fixes anything.

irokdastar383
07-28-2010, 03:15 PM
thats what i am going to do tommorow . i already ordered it by my mechanic and i will have him replace my battery and check my alternator. thanks for everyones advice. i will keep you all posted

robohopar
07-28-2010, 04:03 PM
i've heard the battery makes the car do flips..so first thing would be replacing the battery, registering it and then testing your alternator.

Good luck buddy

E92-Lighting
07-28-2010, 04:06 PM
sorry to hear, any local indy shops?

Seven11
07-28-2010, 04:06 PM
if u go to small cliams court and serve them (dealer and BMWNA) with papers they MIGHT just pay you instead of going to court and wasting money on lawyers.

kontir
07-29-2010, 01:01 AM
thats what i am going to do tommorow . i already ordered it by my mechanic and i will have him replace my battery and check my alternator. thanks for everyones advice. i will keep you all posted

Dont do it. Scan yr car 1st to see what the problem is. Dont buy things or replace them without known what the problem is. Read the codes n go from there. So many shops in queens or bk that will scan yr car for less then 100$.

irokdastar383
07-29-2010, 08:05 AM
my mechnic scans it for free. i know him for a while. ok so i just got a wod from my mechanic right now. tested out the car and did a volatge test on the battery and here is the verticed. the alternator is fine. battery and power modual will need to be replaced.he is getting the parts in the next few hours and replacing them. lets see what happenes

OnlySkills
07-29-2010, 09:03 AM
i think you just have to put up with it, no point in hiring a lawyer for thousands of dollars and ending up losing in court to BMW's corporate top lawyers.

irokdastar383
07-29-2010, 09:38 AM
i am not putting a lawyer i am going to small claims let them fork over for lawyers

rustar
07-29-2010, 10:51 AM
they wont bring top lawyer for this. and if this happened with any of you, you would be just as unhappy. whoever says its not their fault and just coincidence

patshah
07-29-2010, 10:56 AM
Let us know what happens after the new batt and alternator check. My guess is that you should be OK except for the AMP/ASK unit.
Good Luck Buddy!

irokdastar383
07-29-2010, 11:18 AM
ok i just got off the phone with my mechanic . he first replaced the power modual and it seemed to fix the car cutting off . he was stumped at this ordeal. he told me its like your car got hit by lightning. he said there was def a power overload thats why it busted fuses and power modual. he said its better to change the batery just in case but on the lucky side the alternator is ok. he check the car and no error . but my ask and amp still have the same problem. can it be that when there were fixing my car they didnt disconnect the batt and thats what cause my problems?

ALLBLACK7
07-29-2010, 11:44 AM
And you wanted how much for your car when you were selling it recently???
BEst of luck

irokdastar383
07-29-2010, 12:43 PM
i wanted that much when it was fine. not after they effed it up. plus it doesn matter what u think i should sell it for.after i fix the issues it will be fine. all it needs is a cd palyer and amp.

ALLBLACK7
07-29-2010, 04:58 PM
relax there lil guy...
no need to take things personal.

Franco240
07-29-2010, 05:11 PM
if u go to small cliams court and serve them (dealer and BMWNA) with papers they MIGHT just pay you instead of going to court and wasting money on lawyers.

Then again, they may never service your car again.

Seven11
07-29-2010, 05:35 PM
Then again, they may never service your car again.

i bet he is never going to the dealer to get anything fixed again, anyways

joej85
07-29-2010, 05:50 PM
Can you describe in more detail what happened between the time you picked up the car and it started screwing up? A little more info on the timing of things might help.

Where the amp/ask working right when you picked up the car?

Did it just die on you on the way home? How far/long away from the dealer?

After it died, was it jump started? If so, by who and with what?

LuvDa745i
07-29-2010, 07:05 PM
take them to court.. judges hate crooked dealerships.. everyones been ripped off at some point from a steeler.. the judge will side with you and maybe they will settle the suit.. call your local new station or (BBB) better buisness bureau.. give a run ...

ndabunka
07-29-2010, 07:14 PM
i wanted that much when it was fine. not after they effed it up. plus it doesn matter what u think i should sell it for.after i fix the issues it will be fine. all it needs is a cd palyer and amp.

I think he discovered that even in good condition, it would not bring over $20K and there was only one bid at that level so I think he now realizes that he won't be getting anywhere NEAR the original $30K he was asking. KBB shows his car with the 80K miles he has on it private party "good condition" (all things working and no dings or dents) at $19,600 right now (July 29th, 2010). He does have some body parts but the value of those is in the buyer. If he finds an enthusiast that is willing to spend a few extra $'s, he may get over $20K. Hope he gets everything right with just adding a new battery

PS - If your speaker are crackling, it is likely the ASK unit instead of the AMP. The AMP is usually a problem if you have no bass. Each can cost you $1K so if both are gone, that's likely $2K right there. I've never heard of ANYONE having problems with a CD player EXCEPT for when someone has tried to wire in an aftermarket component or tried to make the DVD play in the front NAVI screen. In both cases, it was not the CD player itself but rather was the botched installation.

irokdastar383
07-30-2010, 07:58 AM
i bet he is never going to the dealer to get anything fixed again, anyways

your right 7 i rather work on the car myself than let those idiots touch it again.

irokdastar383
07-30-2010, 08:49 AM
Can you describe in more detail what happened between the time you picked up the car and it started screwing up? A little more info on the timing of things might help.

Where the amp/ask working right when you picked up the car?

Did it just die on you on the way home? How far/long away from the dealer?

After it died, was it jump started? If so, by who and with what?

i picked it up from the dealer and i drove it to my store (5:50pm) its about a 2 mile drive .there was no issue . the radio was on to the news and it was low i didnt bother changing it. i got to the store at 6:20 pm parked it all was fine. i come to pick up my car at 7pm .clicked the alaram opened the door all was fine. sat in and held the brake and pushed start and i got nothing. the engine wouldnt turn on . the only thing that worked was the speedo. lights. then i glanced over to the i drive and i get nothing what so ever.no screen nothing. i took the key in and out trying to see if it will start and nada. it wouldnt even choke and die just dead. i couldnt call bmw cause there closed at 6. i opened the hood everything seemed to be inplace opened the trunk thinking that they didnt connect something right and it got loose. took the car jack out and the plastic peace underneath. and it was all good.i locked the car back up and went back inside to get a flash light . came out 5 min later and i went into the car i stuck the key in and pushed the start button , it hesitated for a sec chocked and the engine turned on . it was rought it was kicking rmp to 1100 rpm . it sounded like it was about to shut off. i didnt touch it after 30 seconds it slowly brought the rpm down to about 800 and it was ideling smooth. then i look at my idrive to see if there is any warnign messaged and all i see is an error message on the screen no radi navi music .i drove it home parked it and called the service center the next day.they told me to bring it in. i brought it in 2 days later.i didnt jump start the car . and yes the speakers pop and i also have no bass in one side of the car.

joej85
07-30-2010, 09:25 AM
Thanks for the info. Defintely a confusing situation.

You said the radio was working on your drive from the dealer to your store.

When you left the store and the car wouldn't start, did the radio ever work again after that until your mechanic fixed the fuses?

ndabunka
07-30-2010, 03:27 PM
i picked it up from the dealer and i drove it to my store (5:50pm) its about a 2 mile drive .there was no issue ...... i come to pick up my car at 7pm ....pushed start and i got nothing.

looks like the only thing you forgot to include is that between the time you parked it to the time you went back out to crank it, there was a BAD thunderstorm and your car was struck by lightning.....

if this did in fact occur, you are in LUCK as the repairs would be covered by your home owners (or possibly renters) insurance policy.

in short, your saying that the car was fine leaving the dealership (as far as you know) but that something LIKELY occurred in front of your shop.

On a side note... what kind of "shop" do you have?

mj745
08-01-2010, 10:38 AM
Serve the dealer and take them to small claims without further delay. You might even get more issues down the road. Take action already. This is not the first I`ve heard where dealers screw up a customer`s car. We don`t hear about it because it`s always `muted`or the customer just walks away - as you are about to just now. The facts are your car was fine before you brought it in. When you went to pick it up it had a lot of issues. Judges look at facts, not probabilities, and believe me judges have seen one too many customers screwed by dealers. Any one of their employees could have toyed with your car, took it out for a joy ride, or even had a novice work on it... a lot of things could have occured. Add in every penny it cost you so far in trying to dealécope with the problem. The first step is to write them a formal letter indicating your situation, and that you will give them X amount of days to fix your vehicle or pay for the damages otherwise you are going to take legal action. Usually a judge will ask if you sent this letter first before taking them to small claims - works to your favour. Make sure you send it via registered mail.

irokdastar383
08-01-2010, 11:11 AM
no thunderstorm and it didnt get hit by lightning.

kontir
08-01-2010, 04:20 PM
no thunderstorm and it didnt get hit by lightning.

Stop trying to blame BMW cuz u want to get rid of yr car!

irokdastar383
08-02-2010, 08:43 AM
Stop trying to blame BMW cuz u want to get rid of yr car!

lol i am not blaming bmw cause i want to get rid of my car. even if i go to court the most they will do is fix it. there not going to telll them u need to buy the car from him. and trust me if you had an experiance like i have you wouldnt be saying dont blame them. i like to see someone bust 4000 worth of eqipment in ure 7 and see how you react to it. FYI i only wanted to sell because i had a deal for a 650 convertable .

ndabunka
08-02-2010, 10:58 AM
I'd agree with mj745 then. Send them a certified letter stating your perceptions and expectations for resolving the issues as well as an expected reasonable response time from them (like two weeks). If nothing happens then follow through with the threat and file the civil case.

irokdastar383
08-02-2010, 01:39 PM
send it to dealer? or bmw usa?

ndabunka
08-02-2010, 09:10 PM
Your beef is with the dealer, right? You can cc BMW USA but finding the right department might be difficult. If it was me personally, I'd figure out who OWNED the dealership and have a copy sent to their HOME address (also certified). That should light a fire under the service manager's butt!

The letter should be VERY concise. Do NOT bitch about everything but rather point out specifics. First paragraph should be less than 4 sentences. No more than 4 or 5 bullet items AT MOST next and for or five sentences at the end outlining HOW you expect them to "repair" the relationship. That's it, one page....

Remember that this is a free forum so the recommendations you get here have the same value ...ZERO. This is NOT legal advice but rather is simply a recommendation from another 7-series driver.

PS - I am not a lawyer, never have been, likely never will be one

Newmanium
08-02-2010, 10:00 PM
You really think legal scare tactics will work against a dealership? They know the laws, they know how to cover their butt - they'll call your bluff.

So you took the car in for some minor work, and later on it freaks out with a bunch of electrical weirdness. How can you prove the dealership caused this? How can you prove your car was working fine beforehand? It's possible this was just plain bad luck.

Until you know what broke, and could offer some plausible connection to the dealer breaking it, you're SOL. This is the reason these cars are so cheap out of warranty, absolute nightmares when things start breaking.

ndabunka
08-03-2010, 12:34 AM
We are just informing him of his options. We are not placing (nor taking) bets on the outcome.

hotrod2448
08-03-2010, 10:26 AM
i picked it up from the dealer and i drove it to my store (5:50pm) its about a 2 mile drive .there was no issue . the radio was on to the news and it was low i didnt bother changing it. i got to the store at 6:20 pm parked it all was fine. i come to pick up my car at 7pm .clicked the alaram opened the door all was fine. sat in and held the brake and pushed start and i got nothing. the engine wouldnt turn on . the only thing that worked was the speedo. lights. then i glanced over to the i drive and i get nothing what so ever.no screen nothing. i took the key in and out trying to see if it will start and nada. it wouldnt even choke and die just dead. i couldnt call bmw cause there closed at 6. i opened the hood everything seemed to be inplace opened the trunk thinking that they didnt connect something right and it got loose. took the car jack out and the plastic peace underneath. and it was all good.i locked the car back up and went back inside to get a flash light . came out 5 min later and i went into the car i stuck the key in and pushed the start button , it hesitated for a sec chocked and the engine turned on . it was rought it was kicking rmp to 1100 rpm . it sounded like it was about to shut off. i didnt touch it after 30 seconds it slowly brought the rpm down to about 800 and it was ideling smooth. then i look at my idrive to see if there is any warnign messaged and all i see is an error message on the screen no radi navi music .i drove it home parked it and called the service center the next day.they told me to bring it in. i brought it in 2 days later.i didnt jump start the car . and yes the speakers pop and i also have no bass in one side of the car.

Good God almighty the grammar (or lack there of) makes this hard to read.

If you drove the car from the dealership after minor work to your place of work and there were no problems exactly how do you plan to blame them for this?

irokdastar383
08-03-2010, 01:55 PM
here we go about the grammer . because it was in there posetiong for 5 days with no explanation and they wouldnt even let me pick it up. and when they gay it to me it was already turned on. this only happened after i shut it off and tryed to restart. i think its kind of crazy for my car to do all this right after leaving the dealership dont you?

hotrod2448
08-03-2010, 04:23 PM
here we go about the grammer . because it was in there posetiong for 5 days with no explanation and they wouldnt even let me pick it up. and when they gay it to me it was already turned on. this only happened after i shut it off and tryed to restart. i think its kind of crazy for my car to do all this right after leaving the dealership dont you?

Seriously? Look... if you can't even be bothered to make a half-hearted effort at a grammatically correct post that I don't have to read and reread to make sense of why should we even reply?

It is odd that your car was in for 5 days for that repair but, if they screwed the car up to the extent you are claiming during the visit how would it be fine when you picked it up, whether it was running or not?

Unfortunately sometimes stuff like this happens. If you lent the car to a friend and the second time after he returned it this happened would you blame him?

dannyc9997
08-03-2010, 04:37 PM
You have a 6 year old car with almost 100 thousand miles on it, which you purchased knowing full well that it was LOADED with the latest and greatest technology that couldnt have possibly been tested for reliability and now you are upset that it has come back to bite you in the ass? You brought this all on yourself, a day like this was going to come, whether or not a Bmw dealer caused it isnt the point. If your going to drive a vehicle like this...5 thousand dollars cannot be a big deal to you. What did you expect from this car?

JA 7
08-03-2010, 06:38 PM
Seriously? Look... if you can't even be bothered to make a half-hearted effort at a grammatically correct post that I don't have to read and reread to make sense of why should we even reply?

It is odd that your car was in for 5 days for that repair but, if they screwed the car up to the extent you are claiming during the visit how would it be fine when you picked it up, whether it was running or not?

Unfortunately sometimes stuff like this happens. If you lent the car to a friend and the second time after he returned it this happened would you blame him?

Are you an English teacher? I find myself puzzled why people freak out on those that may have less than stellar grammar skills. So maybe the guy isn't well read or perhaps English isn't his first language? Why belittle him on the internet? Just curious...

JA 7
08-03-2010, 06:39 PM
I wish you luck with your car. I think it will be hell proving anything, but maybe the judge will side with you. I would look at that dealerships record with the BBB. It may prove helpful.

hotrod2448
08-03-2010, 07:25 PM
Are you an English teacher? I find myself puzzled why people freak out on those that may have less than stellar grammar skills. So maybe the guy isn't well read or perhaps English isn't his first language? Why belittle him on the internet? Just curious...

I'm not an English teacher but, I am a forum member who tries to help where I can. When I've got to read a post multiple times just to make sense of it and I've seen that member make posts that are easier to read previously so, I know they are perfectly capable of it is when its a little irritating.

Go back and read some of his posts in this thread. Do you think they are easy to read through and understand the first time? I let the "there" "their" stuff slide but, at least break it into paragraphs and use capitalization at the beginning of sentences.

Apparently this forum doesn't but, a lot of forums require their posts to be grammatically correct (within reason).