PDA

View Full Version : Steering sticking on full lock-normal??

poon1
07-28-2010, 02:57 PM
A few times when I take a tight turn out of my driveway and turn the steering to full lock the steering suddenly sticks solid and I have to reallly twist hard the other way to get it to move again-once it does move it's all fine again. Driving the car the steering is perfect. The car is a 2005 e65 730d sport with original 19 inch BMW wheels and Pirrelli p zero tyres. There is no rubbing sound, clunking, humming or anything odd when it happens it just goes solid like something has locked up..

For a big car I was surprised how good the turning circle is-could something be going too far on full lock and needs adjusting?

I have never had a car do this before and it worries me it may do it going around a roundabout or bend :thumbdwn:

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this please?

1bad540
07-28-2010, 07:19 PM
My 04 745 would do this sometimes on a full lock, I did mention it to the dealer and they could not reproduce, It didnt worry me to much as it only did it in a full lock. My 750 I dont think does this.

poon1
07-29-2010, 01:26 AM
Thanks for the reply-yes it's only on full lock and going forwards very slowly. I have trawled the net and it is mentioned as happening on the 3 series from time to time.

Anyone else ever suffer from this problem on an e65-if it happens to others I wont be so worried there is something serious amiss.

DarkLord
07-29-2010, 01:35 AM
I have had this problem especially in the work car park which has quite a camber on it ie pulling into the bay the car straddles the camber, stealer said it was a torsional issue with the chassis under stress, i wouldnt know if he was bull****ting or not. Car at the time was under warranty.

poon1
07-29-2010, 01:46 AM
There is also a slight camber from my drive to the road too-thanks guys, I am not going to worry too much about it now, just have to remember not to give it full lock when coming out the drive-it's usually when someone has parked opposite so I am giving it everything to try and squeeze past :rolleyes:

Mr_Burger
07-29-2010, 02:56 AM
Yup, had this on my 07 model 760Li. Happens (more than once) when exiting the same car park as it's quite tight and I need to slowly turn (on full lock, right hand down) as I exit the downward ramp..

As the car twists, it does stick (not all the time mind) and I simply allow the car to roll a little further to release it. I've never had to fight the wheel to get the steering back. (although you would if you don't roll it to free it up)

poon1
07-29-2010, 10:23 AM
Thanks Mr_Burger :)