View Full Version : Steering sticking on full lock-normal??

07-28-2010, 03:57 PM
A few times when I take a tight turn out of my driveway and turn the steering to full lock the steering suddenly sticks solid and I have to reallly twist hard the other way to get it to move again-once it does move it's all fine again. Driving the car the steering is perfect. The car is a 2005 e65 730d sport with original 19 inch BMW wheels and Pirrelli p zero tyres. There is no rubbing sound, clunking, humming or anything odd when it happens it just goes solid like something has locked up..

For a big car I was surprised how good the turning circle is-could something be going too far on full lock and needs adjusting?

I have never had a car do this before and it worries me it may do it going around a roundabout or bend :thumbdwn:

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this please?

07-28-2010, 08:19 PM
My 04 745 would do this sometimes on a full lock, I did mention it to the dealer and they could not reproduce, It didnt worry me to much as it only did it in a full lock. My 750 I dont think does this.

07-29-2010, 02:26 AM
Thanks for the reply-yes it's only on full lock and going forwards very slowly. I have trawled the net and it is mentioned as happening on the 3 series from time to time.

Anyone else ever suffer from this problem on an e65-if it happens to others I wont be so worried there is something serious amiss.

07-29-2010, 02:35 AM
I have had this problem especially in the work car park which has quite a camber on it ie pulling into the bay the car straddles the camber, stealer said it was a torsional issue with the chassis under stress, i wouldnt know if he was bull****ting or not. Car at the time was under warranty.

07-29-2010, 02:46 AM
There is also a slight camber from my drive to the road too-thanks guys, I am not going to worry too much about it now, just have to remember not to give it full lock when coming out the drive-it's usually when someone has parked opposite so I am giving it everything to try and squeeze past :rolleyes:

07-29-2010, 03:56 AM
Yup, had this on my 07 model 760Li. Happens (more than once) when exiting the same car park as it's quite tight and I need to slowly turn (on full lock, right hand down) as I exit the downward ramp..

As the car twists, it does stick (not all the time mind) and I simply allow the car to roll a little further to release it. I've never had to fight the wheel to get the steering back. (although you would if you don't roll it to free it up)

07-29-2010, 11:23 AM
Thanks Mr_Burger :)

08-28-2014, 02:07 AM
After changing out the tie-rods and ball joints I had the steering lock up on me.
This is due to misalignment and visually it is not obvious. My values were out of tolerance, but I would not have expected the steering to lock up, when driving out of the driveway.

My values leading to the steering lock were:
Left toe: +104'
Right toe: +223'
Total toe: 326'

The correct values would be
Left toe: 005' +/- 005'
Right toe: 005' +/- 005'
Total toe: 010' +/- 010'

After having a shop align everything to within spec. the problem was resolved.