PDA

View Full Version : Rear Fogs earning their keep in So. Cal.

doeboy
12-05-2003, 02:53 PM
The weather has been quite unusual for So. Cal lately. This week we've been getting fog in the morning and night. Not so unusual, which is why I wanted to retrofit rear fogs in my car too since Kaz figured this out.

Last night and this morning was even more unusual. The fog was so thick in some places that I could not see more than about 12 feet in front of the car :yikes:

I saw so many typical lamewads driving in the fog this morning

1) At their "normal" hauling butt speeds
2) With no lights on (almost turned out of my driveway when this retard suddenly appeared from the fog :tsk: )
3) The same lamewad was a lady sitting there putting on makeup. :rolleyes: :tsk:
4) some pickup trucks driving with high beams on

So it was nice having the rear fogs available to me in times of actual need like this morning and last night. People stayed a good distance behind me (from what I was barely able to see in my mirrors) and didn't come barreling up behind me at an insane pace. Made me feel a lot less nervous about having to go to work in this dense fog.

:thumbup: and kudos to Kaz for figuring this retrofit out! :bow: :D

:beerchug: :supdude:

bluer1
12-05-2003, 03:33 PM
:mad: :banghead:

doeboy
12-05-2003, 03:39 PM
:mad: :banghead:

:dunno:

bluer1
12-05-2003, 03:45 PM
:dunno:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=20655

doeboy
12-05-2003, 04:20 PM
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=20655

Ah... I see.... yeah... When I saw that I was :tsk: too...

Wingboot
12-05-2003, 07:01 PM
Mr. Stuart is correct. I, for one, am glad this feature is not offered. The same morons that drive around with the fog lights on when it's not foggy would leave the rear lights on thinking it would help them. Too many ignorant drivers in the U.S.

Not us, of course :D

ChadS
12-05-2003, 07:41 PM
Mr. Stuart is correct. I, for one, am glad this feature is not offered. The same morons that drive around with the fog lights on when it's not foggy would leave the rear lights on thinking it would help them. Too many ignorant drivers in the U.S.

I agree, but it should be made an easy retrofit if you want it. I installed the rear fog light on my 325Ci and it was a PITA to fish the wire through the rubber conduit between the trunk lid and car. They should make it easy for owners who know about it and want it. I very rarely use mine, but feel a little more secure when I do. I actually used mine earlier today driving home in the snow. The snow was coming down pretty heavy and you could not see more than about 15 feet in front of you so I had my rear fog on in case some baffoon came up behind me. It does worry me though from all the Audis I see, that if BMWNA put them on all of their cars they would be incorrectly used. :tsk:

Spectre
12-05-2003, 08:07 PM

Not us, of course :DBut rear fog lights on the Mini are acceptable because what? Mini drivers aren't as moronic as BMW drivers? :dunno:

I can appreciate Mr. Stuart's reasoning, but the consistency just doesn't seem to be there. Now, if I were driving a Mini, I would be grateful for the added visibility (to other drivers in fog) in such a low car, but that doesn't mean that the issues Mr. Stuart raises aren't there in the Mini as well.

Wingboot
12-05-2003, 08:22 PM
I wasn’t aware that they were installed on mini’s, a BMW product (?).

Oh well, it doesn’t really matter anyway since they are available in the U.S. market. Also, it is possible to easily install them on any car.

I agree that they are nice to have. When I was living in Germany there was a handful of times when I used the front and rear fog lights in my E32.

We have little “light discipline” in the U.S. but that is not so bad considering that we live in the best country in the world.

OBS3SSION
12-08-2003, 06:18 AM
:mad: The sollution in this country should be enforcement, Enforcement, ENFORCEMENT!

Ticket the assholes who drive like assholes and the world will be a better place.

doeboy
12-08-2003, 10:26 AM
:mad: The sollution in this country should be enforcement, Enforcement, ENFORCEMENT!

Ticket the assholes who drive like assholes and the world will be a better place.

But half of them (or maybe more) will just pay the fine and learn nothing. Some of them seriously should be re-tested and have their licenses revoked IMO... You should hear some of the lame things people say while in line at the DMV...

Salvator
12-08-2003, 11:35 AM

Not us, of course :D

Wouldn't it make more sense to offer the rear fogs, but put slightly dimmer bulbs in them, for the "dim bulbs" that would leave them on all the time? I have dual rear fogs on my 1996 Land Rover Discovery (a BMW product at the time it was built) and although the lights are bright, they are not nearly as "blinding" as some of the units I have seen on Audis, Saabs and Volvos... They are bright enough to help people see me, though... My dim bulb proposal would allow those of us who know how to use the rear fogs, "plug and play" upgradeability to Euro-standard (bright) bulbs, and the unwashed would stick to the regular (dim) bulbs, because they don't know any better... And, as someone mentioned, if you are cruising around with bright rear fogs on, it's the Police's job to enforce the rules... if no rules are on the books, I'm sure an on-the-ball police officer can come up with something...

doeboy
12-08-2003, 11:42 AM
Wouldn't it make more sense to offer the rear fogs, but put slightly dimmer bulbs in them, for the "dim bulbs" that would leave them on all the time? I have dual rear fogs on my 1996 Land Rover Discovery (a BMW product at the time it was built) and although the lights are bright, they are not nearly as "blinding" as some of the units I have seen on Audis, Saabs and Volvos... They are bright enough to help people see me, though... My dim bulb proposal would allow those of us who know how to use the rear fogs, "plug and play" upgradeability to Euro-standard (bright) bulbs, and the unwashed would stick to the regular (dim) bulbs, because they don't know any better... And, as someone mentioned, if you are cruising around with bright rear fogs on, it's the Police's job to enforce the rules... if no rules are on the books, I'm sure an on-the-ball police officer can come up with something...

That would be an idea I suppose... But wouldn't dim bulbs just make them the same as adding running lights to the tail light cluster? :dunno: They wouldn't really be rear fogs anymore I would think...

True, the police can enforce it, but how many times would they actually do it? It's like enforcing driving around with one's high-beams on.... you see idiots doing it on the road, but how often is it actually enforced?

Also, most states probably do have something on the books about rear fogs. But most people probably don't know about it unless they go digging through the vehicle code.

Maybe another thing they need to do if they offer a car with rear fogs is provide the car owner with a copy of the vehicle code regarding rear fogs?