PDA

View Full Version : Tint tint tint

carter750li
07-29-2010, 04:07 PM
Its time to tint my car im tired of that 100, 104 degrees f. I live in florida and everyday its getting hotter... So i did a lil research and my previous post some of you guys were kind enough to point out to me that ceramic is way to go because of my comfort access. So my questions are ...what kind of tint i should get , how much it should cost? How dark it should be ? Any pics also will be nice

jaytwo3
07-29-2010, 04:13 PM
I did 20% all the way around, ceramic. Cost was $240.00 Shop around and make sure that they know about all electronics in trunk and see if they have insurance to cover their mistakes just in case. Here where I live I'm at 7000ft elevation so I did tint because sun is very strong, I know some here dont like tint (fish bowls) but I like the way it looks.

carter750li
07-29-2010, 04:17 PM
Hows the 20% looks like if you dnt mind can you post pics?

Seven11
07-29-2010, 06:29 PM
ok so you are in florida... here is what i found about tint laws in FL

"Measuring the Darkness
***8226;The darkness of window tint is expressed as a percentage of visible light transmission, or VLT. This is the percentage of light that is allowed through the windows, with a clear window measuring 100 percent VLT.
Front Windshield
***8226;A manufacturer's tint strip is allowed along the top of the front windshield, above the AS-1 line. The rest of the front windshield must be clear.
Side and Rear Windows
***8226;The front side windows must allow at least 28 percent VLT. The back side windows must allow at least 15 percent; the rear window must allow at least 15 percent. If the back window is tinted, the car must have dual side mirrors. Florida does not allowed colored tinting. For multipurpose passenger vehicles (for example, limousines), the minimum VLT on the side and back windows is 6 percent. "

20% is what i would do, its nice and dark yet you can see enough throught it, i find 35% to be TOO light

it might be illegal but the difference is 8% and A LOT of people in FL have their windows tinted because of that sun

i bet cops dont mess with people for tint over there

USALEXUSBMW750
07-29-2010, 08:08 PM
light interior 20% black interior 35% but for the night 20% too dark, you will hardly see car next to you

ndabunka
07-29-2010, 08:24 PM
20% tint is VERY difficult to see out of at night. If you are trying to back up and use your mirrors at night with the windows rolled up....ForGETaboutIT!!! You'll have to roll them down to use your rear view mirror's while backing up. If it's raining...it's a mess. Trust me. I had 20% put one once and actually PAID EXTRA to have it removed and replaced with 30% less than a day later and have never turned back. Some think 20% looks cool but IMHO, 30% (which is legal in your state) looks pretty good. Now, in Florida they are generally a bit more lien-ant so I have seen some putting 20% on the rear and 30% on the front driver and rider windows and most tell me that they do not get stopped by the police as long as the fronts are legal you are generally OK.

csmeance
07-29-2010, 10:14 PM
Stick with 35%! I get hassled sometimes because of my tint. Even though it's legal (35% llumar Ceramic) cops think it's 20% and give me ****. In all honesty 35% is very good for the florida heat, and as well it provides great visibility at night unlike 20% which is a bit harder to see out of. I paid 180 for my tint, lifetime warranty on it from scratching, bubbling and peeling across the US!

As said above, make sure the shop has insurance so if they mess anything up your covered!

carter750li
07-29-2010, 10:35 PM
THNK YOU... I THINK ILL GO WITH 30%.BUT I SEEE SOME PEOPLE ALKING BOUT :Ceramic, Formula 1 Pinnacle Series , with Huber Optik

csmeance
07-29-2010, 10:44 PM
THNK YOU... I THINK ILL GO WITH 30%.BUT I SEEE SOME PEOPLE ALKING BOUT :Ceramic, Formula 1 Pinnacle Series , with Huber Optik

Huper Optik is the king of tints, some of the best around! But the downside is that it's really expensive, somewhere around 450 for our the cars the last time I checked. Stick with a good brand that's MADE OF CERAMIC MATERIAL such as Huper Optik, llumar, Forumula 1, etc

carter750li
07-29-2010, 10:48 PM
Remember i have access control ..so will none of these affect my key or anything of that nature

csmeance
07-30-2010, 12:00 AM
Remember i have access control ..so will none of these affect my key or anything of that nature

comfort access has nothing to do with the tint, it's the GPS antenna and various components that will get affected if you go with METALLIC based tint. That's why we are all saying to go with ceramic tint so it won't interfere with any of the electronics.

ronw
07-30-2010, 08:05 AM
Search for my past post. I have madico 40 ceramic.

carter750li
07-30-2010, 08:24 AM
ok cool, thnks

carter750li
07-30-2010, 08:25 AM
ok so you are in florida... here is what i found about tint laws in FL

"Measuring the Darkness
•The darkness of window tint is expressed as a percentage of visible light transmission, or VLT. This is the percentage of light that is allowed through the windows, with a clear window measuring 100 percent VLT.
Front Windshield
•A manufacturer's tint strip is allowed along the top of the front windshield, above the AS-1 line. The rest of the front windshield must be clear.
Side and Rear Windows
•The front side windows must allow at least 28 percent VLT. The back side windows must allow at least 15 percent; the rear window must allow at least 15 percent. If the back window is tinted, the car must have dual side mirrors. Florida does not allowed colored tinting. For multipurpose passenger vehicles (for example, limousines), the minimum VLT on the side and back windows is 6 percent. "

20% is what i would do, its nice and dark yet you can see enough throught it, i find 35% to be TOO light

it might be illegal but the difference is 8% and A LOT of people in FL have their windows tinted because of that sun

i bet cops dont mess with people for tint over there

great info here, thnks so much i think im going with formula 1 pinnacle.

irokdastar383
07-30-2010, 08:32 AM
anyone know what nyc law is?

USALEXUSBMW750
07-30-2010, 12:06 PM
NYC 35% on the front not more then that back can be 20%, NJ no tint on the front at all

samadkins29
07-30-2010, 01:32 PM
Go with 20%, its not that dark as everyone makes it out to be. Unless your blind, you can still see at night. Metallic tint will not effect the gps, or anything else for that matter on our cars. I have metallic tint on all my windows including the windshield and have yet to find any problem/interference. The benefit of ceramic is it doesn't hold heat like metallic tint does.

As for people complaining about the legal % of tint, its different in most states. Look up you local law, but to be honest, ive never gotten a ticket for tint but I have been pulled over a fair amount of times for other things. In the end, MHO is just get 20% whether its legal or not........

t_clealy
07-30-2010, 02:12 PM
This is a very good question here, Carter. You just took the question out of my mouth...lol I was think about doing it. I did look into it a few months ago then I stopped and decided not to, because I have sides and back screen, but man...the heat here in Tampa is unforgiveable...lol

Very wise advices, guys. And thanks Seven11 for the Florida Law, we needed it. :D

samadkins29
07-30-2010, 02:23 PM

carter750li
07-30-2010, 03:02 PM
This is a very good question here, Carter. You just took the question out of my mouth...lol I was think about doing it. I did look into it a few months ago then I stopped and decided not to, because I have sides and back screen, but man...the heat here in Tampa is unforgiveable...lol

Very wise advices, guys. And thanks Seven11 for the Florida Law, we needed it. :D

lol... who you telling today was 102.......im going monday to get it done but no shop around my area carry formula 1 they said it s too expensive ..i think im ganna have to go with another llumar tint call sxt something like that..any info on it will be deeply appreciate ....

samadkins29
07-30-2010, 03:11 PM
llumar and madico are just fine aswell.

carter750li
07-30-2010, 03:18 PM
Ok so any lumar tint should be fine?

samadkins29
07-30-2010, 03:27 PM
To be honest, unless your getting tint from walmart, the tint will last longer than you will own your car. Plus most shops will cover against any "puple color" and bubbles. In the end, just make sure it looks good.

carter750li
07-30-2010, 03:29 PM
to be honest, unless your getting tint from walmart, the tint will last longer than you will own your car. Plus most shops will cover against any "puple color" and bubbles. In the end, just make sure it looks good.

thnks !!!

t_clealy
07-30-2010, 04:38 PM
I can even find $100 to them all on any kind of film here in Tampa. But don't wanna get what I paid for...you know ???LMAO I did stop by at the guy's store. right on my way to work. The store itself looks pretty reputable but....still...Lifetime, too.

Now make sure they use " Machine Cut " as it would be more precise of the work being done. When a guy is using machine cut film seems like he knows what he's doing. Because it's pre-cut. But WTH...do I know ? lol

csmeance
07-30-2010, 04:48 PM
I can even find $100 to them all on any kind of film here in Tampa. But don't wanna get what I paid for...you know ???LMAO I did stop by at the guy's store. right on my way to work. The store itself looks pretty reputable but....still...Lifetime, too.

Now make sure they use " Machine Cut " as it would be more precise of the work being done. When a guy is using machine cut film seems like he knows what he's doing. Because it's pre-cut. But WTH...do I know ? lol

machine cut doesn't mean anything special. Stick with a reputable installer who will fit the tint to your windows. My pet peeve is when there's a stupid gap between the tint and the edge of the glass. My installer brought the tint almost 1/8 of an inch from the edge of the glass so it wouldn't bother me. As well he covered up my 3rd brake light so it would look better when looking from the outside!

samadkins29
07-30-2010, 05:57 PM
machine cut doesn't mean anything special. Stick with a reputable installer who will fit the tint to your windows. My pet peeve is when there's a stupid gap between the tint and the edge of the glass. My installer brought the tint almost 1/8 of an inch from the edge of the glass so it wouldn't bother me. As well he covered up my 3rd brake light so it would look better when looking from the outside!

+1 to that, I payed an extra $80 to do a premier cut, but its all the way to the edge of the glass, no gap at all.

@ OP As I had stated before, when you go to the shop ask them to cut the tint to the exact edge of the glass.

t_clealy
07-30-2010, 07:37 PM

I am getting nervous when I go to these places. Always on my mind " what if it doesn't come out my way...lol You know you love your car to death and you live with it and these installers almost cares for no one.( At least in my area...lol ) Around here there are even people doing tint under the shade of the trees. Not I am gonna bring my car to them or anything. But lots of people are doing it here.
Thanks for the headsup, bro.

MR_BMW328i
08-07-2010, 01:07 PM
Look into HuperOptik. See my pics on my post.

neonsector
08-07-2010, 03:38 PM
As for people complaining about the legal % of tint, its different in most states. Look up you local law, but to be honest, ive never gotten a ticket for tint but I have been pulled over a fair amount of times for other things. In the end, MHO is just get 20% whether its legal or not........

I dunno about that, you cant go anywhere without getting a ticket for dark tint here in AZ.
They made me pull mine off twice or 270 dollars ticket.
I had 20% all the way around, I went with 32% all the way around, and when they pulled me over, they overlooked the 3% under.

samadkins29
08-08-2010, 10:56 AM
I dunno about that, you cant go anywhere without getting a ticket for dark tint here in AZ.
They made me pull mine off twice or 270 dollars ticket.
I had 20% all the way around, I went with 32% all the way around, and when they pulled me over, they overlooked the 3% under.

Keyword was ARIZONA, my co-worker moved from AZ to WA. He agrees with me that the cops dont have anything better to do down their than give people tickets for illegal stuff on their cars. But I do get what you saying, its always possible to get a ticket.

csmooth79
08-09-2010, 03:05 PM
Just an FYI ... In DE Back windows dark as you want, Front and side ... NO TINT (except for strip on windshield, but if you dont tint the fronts why do the windshield?)

E92-Lighting
08-09-2010, 03:33 PM
F1 pinnacle is the best tint from my point of view